PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just noticed I put my maxi dress on inside out this morning! I need some caffeine.:eek::rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone
    Yikes re the inside out dress Wednesday, sounds like the sort of thing I do when I'm sleep deprived.
    I had a rubbish night too, couldn't get comfy, too hot, too cold, needed the loo. I finally got over around 4am but was awake again just after 7am. I've had a very lazy morning as I have an appointment which will take most of the afternoon so won't get the chance to put my feet up as I usually do.
    Last of the pork in a sarnie for lunch and something involving eggs tonight for dinner.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 November 2019 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Another wet day with more to come:(

Into L's first thing, I wanted bread and there were 20p YS rolls for the taking, plus a YS C & O sarnie 20p so picked that up for today's lunch:j A good haul today

Prospective MP visited my volunteer place this morning, see her again in five years time?

Lunch was the YS sarnie, and I cooked a YS quiche Loraine AKA cheese & bacon flan from the Co op, on it's use date so it was freeze or cook. It'll be fine cold tomorrow

Dinner will be the gammon, eggs, chip etc I had planned for yesterday but had YS change thrust upon me
    Brambling wrote: »
    Do you have a local farmers market you can buy local honey from Farway? I'm currently eating the Exmoor honey I brought from the bee farm I went to in Devon. Your local bee association web site might list local bee keepers who may sell honey over the gate

There are farmers market, but not local as in pop over, it's either Winchester or Chichester which will be fine when I'm there but not worth a special trip

I've searched online beekeepers but do not seem to have a listing of over the gate sales:(

There was house near L's had a sign a year or so back, but no sign today when I was in L's. There are hives on the garage roof though so maybe there is none available at present
    Not desperate yet, I've got a deli & greengrocer who sell local produce to check yet, plus local FB group & Ye Olde Farm Shoppe where I expect to be lunching next week post hospital visit

PS Update, local GG has local honey in stock. Problem solved, I'll get a bank loan & buy some on Thursday:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I feel much better after having a lot of caffeine.

Rain, rain, rain.

I had to go and lug stuff around in the garden and tried to avoid the constant rain showers.

I've had an orange and banana smoothie and then the last of the leftover spaghetti that I forgot about.

I will make the HM soup tonight instead.
    caronc wrote: »
    I had a rubbish night too, couldn't get comfy, too hot, too cold, needed the loo. I finally got over around 4am but was awake again just after 7am.

I kept feeling too hot too. I had to go and turn all the heating down during the night.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Farway - Our current and prospective MP is very visible locally unlike the other candidates (a couple of whom don't live in the area) and often "just there" rather than demanding centre stage. She won by a large majority last time and I think being well known in her area probably helped her party get a bigger share of the vote than they might otherwise. Does sound as yours might have been looking for a "photo op"!
    Like yesterday it has tipped down during the day and dried up once it got dark. It's feels colder tonight than it's been.
    My appointment this afternoon took ages plus the time to travel there and back. I think on the way home the taxi driver could see I was struggling a bit and helped me get in the house, get the light on etc. which I was very appreciative of.:) A sit down & a cuppa were much needed and after last night's poor sleep I think an early night is needed.
    I had the last of the pork in a sarnie for lunch and I'm sorry to see it finished:(. I was speaking to my son earlier and he said he had really enjoyed his rolls yesterday enroute from here to Newcastle so it's been a winner all round.:)
    Easy dinner tonight of dal & spinach from the freezer with a poached egg and a toasted pitta. Tesco appear to have started selling smoked tofu here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed some actually arrives with my order tonorrow.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all :)

I'm another one who had a disjointed sleep last night, legs too hot so out from under the duvet and then they got too cold so back in and I don't have the heating on at night. I fidgeted so much his lordship went downstairs in disgust :cool:

Farway a weekly farmers market (even if we no longer have the local meat and fish :() is a benefit of a small market town :). In the thirty years I've lived here I think I've had one politician knock on my door once and that when it looked like the then encumbrance might get a shock from the lib democrats. Otherwise we are so blue you could put a blue rosette on a chimpanzee and it would get voted in (come to think about it .. :think:)

Torrential rain on the way home tonight, country roads so not safe to pull over and I couldn't see to drive very well so we all crawled along for a couple of miles and then it suddenly stopped, there was a lot of surface water on the roads and according to the local radio the trains aren't running from London into town, people had a fun commute home :(

Lunch was late today as our 12.30 telephone conference didn't finish until after 2.30pm and it was too wet to walk so I sat in the kitchen determined to have my hour and ate my chicken laksa, it worked well with the red Thai paste rather than green. Dinner was as planned LO cold beef and LO veg.

Now you mention smoked tofu Caronc you've reminded me I have some in the fridge and some LO coconut milk so added to menu plan crispy tofu with coconut and peanut sauce :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 November 2019 at 10:51PM
    Options
    LO chilli here tonight with 'are they furry yet ?' LO pittas and a little bit of rice. Since the next few days are up in the air Mrs Un got me (and the cat) a cooked chicken. Being full of chilli was probably a good move, as it helped me strip the carcass with my one good hand without helping myself to the good stuff, standard procedure now: Prepare a dish for the stuff that needs to be disposed, lots of kitchen roll, dish for the cat and large tub for the stuff being kept (that's breast, dark meat, any limbs that come off in one piece an stuff for ramen and /or the cat). I find deli counter chicken [STRIKE]a bit[/STRIKE] very greasy so tend to pat them down with kitchen roll before sealing the tubs. So for the next few days, baked potato & chicken, ramen, maybe a casserole, maybe soup. Depends

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Tesco appear to have started selling smoked tofu here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed some actually arrives with my order tonorrow.

I believe Mrs Un likes that brand, but 5p dearer in our local Waitrose :eek:

I do worry that these small vegan friendly companies will be left high & dry if/when the vegan bubble bursts and they're abandoned by the supermarkets

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Now I can't sleep with only two hours sleep last night as I have had too much caffeine today. I knew there was a reason I gave it up.:rotfl:

I sent off my postal vote today. I am just going to vote for whatever local candidate I like the most from now on as I dislike all the main parties.

I am really running down the fridge, all is left is marg/butter and condiments now.:cool:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Now I can't sleep with only two hours sleep last night as I have had too much caffeine today. I knew there was a reason I gave it up.:rotfl:

Seems restless nights are stalking CFOland, I had one last night,, woke at 3, listened to ???? [so gripping I've forgotten it already] then had an extra hour in this morning, up to sunshine, and now it's raining
    Could be worse, local coastal areas are on alert for a tidal surge this morning:eek:
    I sent off my postal vote today. I am just going to vote for whatever local candidate I like the most from now on as I dislike all the main parties.

I keep looking at mine, but like Brambling's area, mine's so blue a corpse could get in. Yet again I'll be holding my nose as I put the X in, we only have main parties, not even a monster loony to [STRIKE]waste my vote on[/STRIKE] vote for

Caron, yes it was a photo op IMO, the last MP used us as well, even had the photo pasted on side of his campaign trailer:mad:

Late breakfast of porridge, banana etc
    Lunch, thinking of cheese & YS rolls with maybe piccalilli filling
    Dinner, has to be some cold LO flan, with use up spuds, chipped, maybe salad or open tin of beans

The latest W8rose food mag, along with a free 2020 calendar has a recipe for sticky ginger loaf, looks dead easy and I may give it a go, checked my store cupboard and I've got the lot:j
    Could be job for the weekend, I'll not bother icing it though, CBA to faff that bit
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback