PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went out and did a small Round Robin of food shops.

£land: sweeties, 5 packs of doritos
    4ld1: 4x baked beans, flatbreads (YS), 10 eggs, brown sauce, shampoo, loo roll.
    4sd4: spicy meat pizza, spaghetti, 500g iny macaroni, 4-pack burgers, bag of frozen kebab meat, loaf of bread.

Came home and have had a f/bread with kebab meat, followed by lots of the sweeties :)

I also picked up a new/cheap keyboard as the other one had a letter that refused to work. Not sure I am getting on with this one; some simple functionality seems to just not work. e.g. Ctrl-C to copy and Ctrl-V to paste don't work... and there's no delete button where I'm used to one for those essential Ctrl-Alt-Del moments. The other delete button on the numpad doesn't work for that function.

I guess I have a bit of fiddling and getting used to it to get it all working "how I like it". It feels a bit funny too. It was the cheapest, costing about £7.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all :)

Back to CFO if I CBA :D. My BIL arrived just before 10am to pick up my sis and as much as I love her it's good to have the house back to myself and his lordship is happier as he's not sure about visitors staying over unless they're up first and can fill the food bowl :rotfl: luckily he's sleeps through fireworks with barely a ear twitch

At least the weather is better today :) I think a tree may have come down near me yesterday as my usual cut through was clear yesterday afternoon when we went to the garden centre and when I tried to go back that way an hour or so later the road was closed and during that time it was extremely wet and windy. I thought the firework display at the rugby club behind me would be cancelled last night but had a good view of it from the kitchen window with a G&T :D and unusually my road wasn't full of cars I'm assuming people thought the footpath shortcut by me would be too muddy to walk this year

I've caught up with the washing and seemed to have had a short nap this afternoon rather than making soup :o and now cba to do it, the freezer will be raided this week as I'm out most nights so no time to cook soup. It's my other sis birthday tomorrow so pizza e*press for dinner

As I said cba today so lunch was sardines on toast and dinner cheesy beans on toast, followed by cooked apples and blackberries I fear I've eaten too much bread today and will probably regret it later :o. Oh well back to some kind of routine tomorrow
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I quite often adapt ratatouillle into shakshuska Wednesday though my version isn't vegan as I poach eggs in it but chickpeas sound good too. I like mine quite spicy:).
    Keyboard sounds as though it will take a bit of getting used to PN.
    It ended up raining on and off this afternoon and it seemed to get dark and cold really early. Just the night for stew and dumplings.:cool: I gave the baby SC another outing and I have to say I really like it though it is definitely quite fast as it only took 4 hours on low for the stewing steak to become tender so I'm pleased I checked it. For once I've managed to get nice thick gravy in a SC:D, I was really disciplined about adding minimal liquid and it's paid off, I've had a sneaky tasty and it's just how I like it. I mixed up the dry ingredients for the cheesy, mustard dumplings earlier so I didn't fall into cba making them mode this evening, just need to mix them and pop them in the switched back on SC now.
    I spent a bit of time googling Shaun the Sheep cakes and have a definite plan (in my head if nothing else;)). It's so long since I made the last one I really can't remember how I made the original except that I baked the cake in a pyrex bowl..... I obviously got the recipe from somewhere but don't seem to have kept it so must have been a magazine or could have been online though I doubt it as we had only just got dial up at home then:eek:.
    Annoyingly I think I have a sinus infection and my voice went awol again while I was on the phone earlier:mad:, I'll plaster myself liberally with Vick and steam my face over a bowl before bed and hopefully that will ease the pressure. Unfortunately sudafed, sinutab etc. aren't an option for me. If not I'll give it a few days and if it hasn't cleared by then I'll probably need an antibiotic - hopefully not as I'd rather not take them unless really needed. Time will tell ......
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Evening all :)

Back to CFO if I CBA :D. My BIL arrived just before 10am to pick up my sis and as much as I love her it's good to have the house back to myself and his lordship is happier as he's not sure about visitors staying over unless they're up first and can fill the food bowl :rotfl: luckily he's sleeps through fireworks with barely a ear twitch

At least the weather is better today :) I think a tree may have come down near me yesterday as my usual cut through was clear yesterday afternoon when we went to the garden centre and when I tried to go back that way an hour or so later the road was closed and during that time it was extremely wet and windy. I thought the firework display at the rugby club behind me would be cancelled last night but had a good view of it from the kitchen window with a G&T :D and unusually my road wasn't full of cars I'm assuming people thought the footpath shortcut by me would be too muddy to walk this year

I've caught up with the washing and seemed to have had a short nap this afternoon rather than making soup :o and now cba to do it, the freezer will be raided this week as I'm out most nights so no time to cook soup. It's my other sis birthday tomorrow so pizza e*press for dinner

As I said cba today so lunch was sardines on toast and dinner cheesy beans on toast, followed by cooked apples and blackberries I fear I've eaten too much bread today and will probably regret it later :o. Oh well back to some kind of routine tomorrow
    Family visiting is always lovely Brambling but equally lovely to see them go.:rotfl::rotfl:
    At some point in the next year or so I'm likely to have my elder son and his fiancee here for a few months as they hope to relocate back to Scotland and buy a house in the Glasgow area. I can see a lot of extra gin being drunk......;)
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Family visiting is always lovely Brambling but equally lovely to see them go.:rotfl::rotfl:
    At some point in the next year or so I'm likely to have my elder son and his fiancee here for a few months as they hope to relocate back to Scotland and buy a house in the Glasgow area. I can see a lot of extra gin being drunk......;)

Better add a gin tab to the budget spreadsheet Caronc :rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Better add a gin tab to the budget spreadsheet Caronc :rotfl:
    What do you mean "add" ?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Options
    What do you mean "add" ?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry my bad :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 November 2019 at 10:19PM
    Options
    Shame about the salmon/rice not living up to expectations unrecordings at least there was lurking stollen:)
    D

I actually saw the kind of thing I had in my mind (when I was still on Plan A and not even bought the fish) on a Hairy Bikers episode on the Food Network this afternoon - stodgy rice, fresh peas, flaked smoked haddock and some other stuff like langoustine tails, the latter not being part of Plan A

As for the stollen, I don't really have a sweet tooth, so we're scared of opening it, then it's a dash to eat it before it goes stale - in that sense you could say it lurks :)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    In other news, due to yet another 'November, really November already ?' moment, tomorrow's breakfast is one of those boil in the bag kipper cutlets with maybe a couple of rounds of toast. Then off to an out of town shopping centre to see if their Holland & Barrett has any VBites (fka Redwoods) roasts in yet - should be in stock from last week. Then we need to buy sprouts, because we used the last of them in tonight's vegetable stew & dumplings - and I need some for tomorrow's pork loins which are currently defrosting (that's the CFO bit if you discount the cat who might get a separate bit of pork boiled up/unseasoned if she's nice

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got a mahoosive veg pizza, n cheesy garlic bread from foodhub last night, for a fiver!! They've got a voucher on HUKD at the mo .Bargain, and scrummy :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport