PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2019 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Life isn't easy when you're One Handed Hannah.

I've discovered I can almost drive. I can do the driving bit, but can't use the handbrake and the parking/unparking bit is difficult as my hand gets knocked during the fine tune of positioning stages.

I'll have to stop driving/reduce it for some days.

I also don't want to have "the same conversations" with people in the household ... yes it still hurts, no I can't use it, it'll be OK in some days' time.

Cooking is OK if I have the right things to hand. Yesterday I had a f/bread & burger. I now only have 1 f/bread left though. I walked to 1cel4nd yesterday (sweeties + look for f/breads but they were out of f/breads).

I could drive to L1dl (not far, car park not difficult with hand), but parking upon my return can be tricky as I have to turn at a peculiar angle while bumping up a bit of kerb or twisting round so I get the dropped kerb bit, depending who else is about, while avoiding the side fence and the plant pot at the front and not hitting the rockery behind... it's been a tricky manoevre from the start. There are other spots to choose, but I like that one. :)

Today I'll have the finall f/bread & a burger.

4sd4: I forgot to mention, when I was in 4sd4 the other day I spotted some "affordable" veggie alternatives that'd suit a Xmas palate if anybody's entertaining veggies next month and doesn't know what to give them.

1/ Chickpea/cranberry wellington, £3 - also for those pesky vegans
    https://groceries.asda.com/product/frozen-party-food/asda-vegan-chickpea-cranberry-wellington/1000167816610

2/ There was something else right alongside that, I forget what though.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 November 2019 at 10:47AM
    Options
    I had frozen mash + peas with last night's Pukka L & P pie, it was hearty comfort food

Today is 'phone & BB change over day but still working with old ISP at the moment

Feeling slightly guilty, my old ISP had offer of £40 shopping e- coupon, and even though I'm off today they sent me the voucher yesterday.

I think to salve my niggling conscience I'll keep it for a bit [valid 2 years] and if nowt said by XCFO I'll use it for a big XCFO shop in December

Porridge breakfast
    caronc wrote: »
    Farway;), I'm surprised you found your smoked salmon & cream cheese bland maybe the cream cheese element? If you have any, a smear of horseradish or hot mustard or a few drops of tabasco or some watercress for a peppery bite might it give it some more oomph. It's one of my favourite combinations preferrably heavy on the salmon and light on the cream cheese ideally in a well toasted bagel. I could eat one right now!:)

Thanks + Brambling, horse radish will be included in today's lunchtime rolls, sounds like it's just what is needed

Caron, good idea about slicing steaks off large gammon joints, one of those idea that is so obvious once it's mentioned

Dinner, nice & easy, one of the offer L's gammon steaks, with eggs & maybe bung the LO boiled spuds in Actifry & tun into big odd shaped chips
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dinner in SC for tonight. Have hospital appointment 3.20 about an hour away so have put meatballs/potatoes/onion etc in SC on slow, got spinach out to put in when I get home for last half hour.Will be enough for tomorrow as I have car MOT at 12.00 which may be traumatic (I hope not).
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Violife have a vegan mature cheddar out so I'm having some in a wholemeal sandwich with pickle and lettuce. I might have two actually.:rotfl:

I have to go out and drop off a donation to a charity shop today. I will do that after I eat.
    I do like a roasted sprout Wednesday:) , I've not had any sprouts yet this season like parsnips I always think they are tastier after a few frosts so I tend to wait a few weeks after they start appearing to get some. Then eat loads until the season ends. I love them shredded and stir fried with soy, ginger and garlic.

Yes, they are lovely.:cool:
    candygirl wrote: »
    Apparently ALDI are selling vegan sausage rolls now! Will snaffle them next time I go in :D

Yes, I read that on here too!:)

4sd4: I forgot to mention, when I was in 4sd4 the other day I spotted some "affordable" veggie alternatives that'd suit a Xmas palate if anybody's entertaining veggies next month and doesn't know what to give them.

1/ Chickpea/cranberry wellington, £3 - also for those pesky vegans
    https://groceries.asda.com/product/frozen-party-food/asda-vegan-chickpea-cranberry-wellington/1000167816610

2/ There was something else right alongside that, I forget what though.

I saw that Asda have loads of vegan options now.:T I'm probably going to get all my Christmas food shopping from there this year.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ta for horse radish with smoked salmon, it was far better than yesterday's :T
    My broadband has now changed over to new ISP, it was down for a couple of hours so fingers crossed that's it done & dusted

Eggs out of fridge to get to ambient, cold cooked boiled spuds located, found a couple of "need using up quick" tomatoes so I'll bung them under grill with the gammon steak

I only have to cook & scoff it now
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    fishcake toastie.
    2 bits of toast and 2 fishcakes inside. Splash of ketchup.
    i have to keep it super easy.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Glad the horseradish made the difference Farway:)
    Just as well to avoid driving for a few days PN apart from anything else you don't want to accidently invalidate your insurance if you're not in full control.
    Both weather & internet have been iffy today so it's been a day for house chores. On a plus the lurgy definitely seems to be waning.:)
    Lunch was the extra chicken with veg sticks & oatcakes, not really the weather for salady stuff but I wanted to use up the extra chicken I had accidently defrosted yesterday. I portioned and froze the remaining chicken soup but might have been better freezing the cooked chicken and having some hot soup for dinner as it's been really cold all day. I've nothing organised for dinner as I spent ages clearing & cleaning the plant growing area in my conservatory, just one chilli plant, a much neglected but thriving orchid and a pot of thyme remain. It was one of those jobs that took so much longer than I thought it would and my ooomph has definitely departed tonight so it will be something quick & easy for dinner probably eggs or pitta. My younger son arrives tomorrow evening and I'm making this https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/nov/04/pasta-mista-potatoes-sausage-soup-rachel-roddy-recipe for dinner, I'll cut the quantities to suit two but it sounds just the thing for a cold night and will use up the lurking leek I have. He's bringing the venison, he's not sure how much but at least 1/2 a small deer which will still be quite a lot - some freezer tetris will be needed!!:eek::eek: Elder son & his fiancee arrive on Friday and we are heading out for dinner to celebrate her handing in her PhD thesis tomorrow. Saturday brings the 21st celebrations and "Shaun" preparation starts tomorrow...:DIt's going to be a busy few days and I think I'll be ready to get back to CFO come Monday.;)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you query what type of deer Caronc ? There could be a big difference between muntjac and red deer :rotfl: I very nearly had venison today as well, luckily I had just stopped the car to turn right when four came over the hedge and across the road, the car coming the other way made a impressive stop :rotfl:

I had my own menopausal moment today I took a container of apple and blackberries for lunch rather than my soup :cool: the plan was to decant some into small container and take with the soup :o. It did come after I had knocked a large container of cat biscuits off the work top all over the kitchen and dining room floor I fear I will be finding them for weeks I had just tipped a kilo into it.

It was really busy at work today and tomorrow isn't looking better, usual beginning of month madness and one colleague off sick. There have also been changes made to the work some of which are causing issues so I've been assertive and NO has been used a lot including to the boss

After fruit for lunch dinner was a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw before going out. Soup will hopefully make it to work tomorrow
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Had camembert stuffed with garlic n chilli, n crunchy bread for tea.Every time I eat it, I fall asleep after :rotfl:
    Can't read posts about the deer, being a snowflake veggie :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Just as well to avoid driving for a few days PN apart from anything else you don't want to accidently invalidate your insurance if you're not in full control.

This - seriously. Especially so in the current weather.

In terms of getting other stuff done with one hand - yep preparation is the key, and if you're forced to use your 'wrong' hand extensively then watch out for cramp - simply forcing your palm down on a flat surface should stop the attack, but I've found a short palm sized bit of broom handle can help ward off an attack if you're doing something grippy like chopping veg and feel something coming on. I've found when chopping round stuff, roll the blade into the (for example) onion with the index finger, steadying it (the onion) with your middle finger & thumb.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback