PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just ordered pizza n gb with cheese from Foodhub for a fiver, they've got some fab deals on at the mo ;)
    PN your housemates sound " interesting " ;):rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

I've got one portion of last night's celery soup left, so I think that's lunch. It was a nice batch I made, no matter how many times I do it it always varies, probably as I use eyeballs ...

Is that eye of newt and toe of frog? :D

Farway hopefully it wasn't too cold today?

Enjoy your pizza Candy :)

I'm still without smell or taste at the moment which is a little off putting :o. But feel I will survive I've told my nephew off for over sharing :cool:

Another lazy day which is a shame as it was a nice day

Lunch and dinner were both LOs and just required a ping. Chicken soup for lunch and beef brisket with red cabbage, roast veg mash and green veg for dinner, just a shame both were tasteless even the horseradish.

Caronc I hope the party went well and Shaun was a success :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    Day 7 of The Hand. It's no worse :) It's about 2% better... so probably another 2-3 weeks before I announce I'm back to normal.... assuming it isn't hiding a secret fracture I've no knowledge of yet.

Took an early stroll with a housemate to buddy up to reach the £25 so we could both get a crate of fizzy pop at £5/24. We'd assumed if we got there early there'd be delivery slots today, but they were tomorrow.... so did food shopping, but won't get it until tomorrow now :)

I went for the usual easy wins... burgers, fishcakes, kebab meat, chips, a pizza and a pack of wraps. Also got two bags of sweeties, hooked one out of the delivery bags so I could scoff one lot today.

Today I did beans/scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, made cheesy macaroni later on and have scoffed sweeties.
  • Friend and I ordered Jamaican meal last night but our usual had sold out (2nd Sunday) at 16.00. Last week we had Chinese instead but this time we went to another local Jamaican - definately not as good. The food was much pepper spicey than usual one so could only eat half of mine, guess what is for tonight !!!! Have portion of mince from Saturday then so will top with potato or add some pasta for Tuesday. Thats next couple of days sorted. Making butternut squash soup today so that will be lunches Tues and Wed. Have to think about easy dinner for Wed as am back at hospital and will want something practically ready when I get back and am not sure of times.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Friend and I ordered Jamaican meal last night...

I've never lived anywhere where there was a vast choice of cuisines - and I have a specific thought about trying new foods....

I was in a pub 2 years ago where they had a Jamaican kiosk/caribbean corner and BBQ. They were flogging patties and my friend said "I used to live in [relevant part of London that escapes me] and they're good". So we both had one.

I thought "could have done without that, it was bland and unexciting" so would never ever try one again.

Friend said "that's disappointing, nothing like a real/good one at all".

So now I know that when I tried one it was a rubbish one. My theory is that you should only try new foods when eating with somebody who can say if that one's good/typical/bad, so you know if you like it or not.

Imagine if your only exposure to an indian curry was a supermarket £1 one.... you'd never, ever choose to eat a takeaway/restaurant indian because all supermarket variations are pretty dire and nothing like "the real thing".

So... only eat new stuff with somebody that's had it before :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

I'm back to CFO after a busy but enjoyable few days with the kids.
    Hope your hand continues to improve PN and your lurgy goes Brambling
    I do like a good Jamaican patty I used to have them regularly when I worked in Peckham - what a shame yours was too spicy whmf to properly enjoy.

"Shaun" was a success:D - definitely homemade looking but I was pleased with it thought I don't want to have do anything with fondant icing or mini marshmallows for a long, long time........
    After some lovely, though freezing, weather over the weekend it horrible today. I was going to pop into town but it's blowing a hooley and lashing with rain. I've plenty to get on with indoors and a pile of laundry that would make you weep :eek: so will just have a day pottering in the house. I need to go through the fridge and put a meal plan together for the week. The LOs from Saturday mainly got used last night and I froze what was left after dinner. "Bambi" has been dealt with and cut into CFO sensible portions (thanks YouTube:cool:) I've just the bones and trimmings to turn into stock which I'll do this evening and pop in the SC. Lunch will be a salad wrap and dinner will be something easy but not spicy as I had spicy the past two nights and I'm out for a curry with friends on Wednesday.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had a crisp sandwich for dinner last night and then had cookies and ice cream afterwards.:eek::rotfl:

I had a healthy meal this morning - the last bowl of HM soup with two slices of bread. I used a bag of frozen veg, aubergines, peppers and courgettes with a red onion and a carrot, veg bouillon, passata, Italian herbs and chilli powder. It tasted better than the soup I had in a restaurant recently.:T
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon folks went out walking + camera around RHS Wisley after breakfast today, the rain held off, bit of a cold wind but nice Autumn feel to it with blue skies and tree colours

Pub lunch, I had small version of ham egg & chips which was plenty for me. It's the sort of meal I would choose over some fancy food.

Now I'm stuffed but maybe squeeze something in later, slice of tea loaf maybe?
    I had a crisp sandwich for dinner
    Nothing nicer sometimes, if I had crisps in that would be my supper tonight
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I had a crisp sandwich for dinner last night and then had cookies and ice cream afterwards.

Ah, "proper food" :)

Our 1cel4nd delivery was a bit of a c0ck up; they didn't bring any of the frozen... I had to phone the shop and I had the receipt (lucky as there were two of us shopping and it turned out that I paid and said "yes" to the receipt), so I knew what we were expecting, except the receipt isn't detailed.... e.g. it said burgers and I only knew which ones as they were mine. She had to guess which chicken strips for housemate, I knew one flavour it wasn't - she said she'd pick the plain ones and if that were wrong she'd send out the others... but it was, by fluke, correct.

They picked the items and the driver delivered them to us. Original/short delivery was at 5.45, I'd phoned the order through by 5.55 and it arrived at 6.40.

Had a burger/flatbread/cheese for tea :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Smashing looking pub and menu Farway and great they do a "smaller option" on mains - more places IMHO could do with doing this. :)

Six of us went out for dinner on Friday, we all had options from the "Early Bird" menu which runs well into the evening:). There was great selection on this and portions are decent but not massive and for what's on offer and the standard of cooking really well priced. All of us enjoyed our meals and even the three lads found the portions more than adequate as the cooking is quite rich. It's unusual round here for these offers to run on Friday nights but they've obviously worked out it pays them as the place was really busy and of course being the start of the weekend folk are more likely to have a few drinks with their meal which places always get a big profit on. ;) It's one of my favourite places to go to eat and the set menu is only a £ or so more than most of the other places locally but miles ahead on quality.

The wind & rain has battered all day and it's baltic (apparently "feels like -2C" on the forecast which I wouldn't disagree with!) my dehunidifier is earning it's keep as I have a house full of wet laundry and as it's heavy stuff like towels and tablecloths there is no way I'm tumbling it dry. If need be I'll finish stuff off in there on Sunday if it still damp. There is still lots of laundry left but at least it just about fits in the hamper now if I ignore a pile of towels on the floor next to it. Constant laundry used to be just part of my life when two active lads were at home but I've definitely got out of the swing of managing a few loads a day.....
    My house is back to it's (semi) tidy norm and I've had a good sweep through and gave the bathroom a quick wipe round. That was more than enough chores for me for one day;).
    I had a quick look through the fridge apart from some mint & coriander which I'll puree & freeze tomorrow nothing needs using urgently and I have a loose meal plan for the week but didn't give it much thought so it will no doubt get tweaked. I decided I want to roast the venison bones & trimmings before making stock and will do that tonight, consequently as the oven will be on dinner is going to be herby roast chicken thigh with roasted celery and a baked potato. I'll nuke some green beans and/or spinach to have with it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback