PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    That sounds nasty/painful PN but hopefully it will settle fairly quickly. <hug>
    Yikes Farway leaky shoes are never good :(- need to raid the piggy bank for some new ones. Hope some of your photos turned out the way you wanted them to.
    Bother re the mash whmf but at least you manage to salvage it, I've never made mash in the SC these days I usually pressure cook a batch.
    Like the sound of your veggie bake Brambling :), yep it's definitely a clinging lurgy though not sure if I picked up something else.... After lunch I went for my usual lie down and fell asleep for a couple of hours, I feel a bit better for it so fingers crossed it's on the wane. If I don't feel significantly better by this time tomorrow I'm going to phone the Drs on Wednesday morning as that'll be a fortnight since it first struck and I'd of expected it to be on the way out if not completely gone by this point. After last years shingles shennagins for my son's engagement do I don't want to be poorly for this weekend's 21st celebrations!
    Soup is cooked it smells and tastes grand, it's absolutely loaded with veg - 2 onions, 1/2 a large leek, 2 big carrots, garlic, the last 2 kohlrabi, lots of celery, 3/4 of a red pepper and 2/3rds of a large can of corn plus green lentils. If that lot doesn't give my system a boost nothing will.:cool:
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch PN, hope your arm feels better asap:)
    I'm on an 18 day countdown now until Goa, so am trying to use up most of the stuff I've got in, then I can do my Morrison's Xmas shop, whilst lying on the beach .I hate Xmas food shopping :rotfl:
    Have made chick pea n spinach curry today, n leek n potato soup, n there's loads in the freezer now.
    Will need eggs, milk , cheese n bread before my hols, but that's about it :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

OH CG not long now!!
    Lurgy lingers but I think it has lifted a bit thankfully.
    I'm waiting for a delivery that should be here anytime now, I've things I'd like to be doing but don't want to miss the door so I gave the bathroom a good scrub instead as it is at the front.
    The soup and dmplings last night was fab and of course there's lots of soup left so that's lunch covered.
    I've chicken pieces defrosting which I'll roast later for dinner, I'll probably have it with a baked spud and the corn LO from soup making.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had a craving for roasted brussels sprouts so I roasted them in some frylight spray and had them in a bowl with two toasted pittas with garlic and herb cream cheese.

I know what I am having as my next meal, a vegan sausage roll. The Wall's version. :drool: I only found out about them the other week.

I am going to have some fruit too, a passionfruit and orange.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,316 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Yikes Farway leaky shoes are never good :(- need to raid the piggy bank for some new ones.

Luckily I had a new spare pair, I bought two pairs of *ush P*ppies when some chain shoe shop was closing.

Not cheap even in closing clearance but the leaky pair lasted a few years of constant use, so with luck these ones should at least last until Br*xit:D
    Hope some of your photos turned out the way you wanted them to.

Some look fine, not [STRIKE]"tweaked"[/STRIKE] post processed yet but I've hopes for a couple of them, including a lot of fungi

Into L's this morning, nothing urgent required, top up cheeses & chocs top of list:o
    Nothing else inspiring in there

Lunch was cream cheese + smoked salmon in finger rolls. It was OK but now I know why I normally don't bother with this type of food, looks good but taste is so so bland

Dinner however will be tasty, the last Pukka L & P pie

Tomorrow is change over ISP, again, so should I vanish for a day you'll know why
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Glad you had a spare pair Farway;), I'm surprised you found your smoked salmon & cream cheese bland maybe the cream cheese element? If you have any, a smear of horseradish or hot mustard or a few drops of tabasco or some watercress for a peppery bite might it give it some more oomph. It's one of my favourite combinations preferrably heavy on the salmon and light on the cream cheese ideally in a well toasted bagel. I could eat one right now!:)
    I do like a roasted sprout Wednesday:) , I've not had any sprouts yet this season like parsnips I always think they are tastier after a few frosts so I tend to wait a few weeks after they start appearing to get some. Then eat loads until the season ends. I love them shredded and stir fried with soy, ginger and garlic.
    My delivery arrived just after I had posted earlier, I've bought a dehumidifier. My house isn't damp as such but I've mentioned before that the front is North facing so gets pretty cold. It's an old, sandstone house and I do think they're not so good at losing moisture especially when it's too cold & wet to get the windows open for any length of time and mine is overall is pretty well insulated (though I do want to replace the front windows next year) which probably doesn't help with this. Anyhow after following comments on another OS thread one has been invested in and I got it going earlier, I was [STRIKE]horrified [/STRIKE]surprised by the amount of water collected in just a few hours and how high the humidity level was in my (mainly unused) dining room. :eek::eek:As it only costs pennies per hour to run I think I will be using it lots over the wetter/colder months!
    I sorted out a huge (to me) grocery order to get delivered on Thursday before the [STRIKE]gannets [/STRIKE] my lovely kids arrive, I think I have got everything included I need to make "Shaun" but at least there will be folk here to pop to the SM if I haven't.:cool:
    As expected there's lots of random fireworks going off hopefully they'll tail off a decent time!

Lurgy appears to be slowly easing, I'm still very congested and hoarse but feel much less yukky:), fingers crossed it is going to go on it's own. I'm going to blame it though for the "senior moment" I've had today. This morning I took chicken out of the freezer to defrost for dinner tonight, completely forgetting that I had done the same last night and popped it in a bowl in the fridge. Not hidden but staring me in the face every time I opened the door but in a "couldn't see a football in a bucket moment" I only realised once the second lot had defrosted!!:o:o There will be chicken LOs after dinner tonight......
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a craving for roasted brussels sprouts so I roasted them in some frylight spray and had them in a bowl with two toasted pittas with garlic and herb cream cheese.

I know what I am having as my next meal, a vegan sausage roll. The Wall's version. :drool: I only found out about them the other week.

I am going to have some fruit too, a passionfruit and orange.

Apparently ALDI are selling vegan sausage rolls now! Will snaffle them next time I go in :D
    Have a drugged up pooch here, n the tv on full blast .Had butter pie, mushy peas n veggie gravy for tea .Pure Bonfire food :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I refuse to accept you're having senior moments Caronc as I believe there's not a lot different in our ages :p. Hopefully you're be a lot better by the weekend :). I got my dehumidifier after I had a blocked downpipe and agree it can be slightly alarming on how much water it collects especially after rain, a colleague tells me it will dry washing quicker :)

PN I hope your arm is ok ?

Farway I agree that smoke salmon and cream cheese needs horseradish :). I'm also thinking about it now :cool: I was tempted in W8itrose by a YS gammon which is also on offer (either a third or 25% off) but it was too big for me and too small to cut in half, I didn't think until I was back in the office of cutting off slices for gammon steaks which I think Caronc does?

Both meals were from the freezer today, probably not a bad thing to clear some of my HM RMs I can be guilty of adding them to the freezer and not eating them. Although there was a slight mislabelling situation for dinner tonight, the container said lamb shank (which I couldn't remember making) but it contained baked gnocchi and white beans in a tomato and veg sauce :cool: Which I probably shouldn't have eaten before tai chi as I'm suffering indigestion now :(. I think next week I'm going to take something light into work to have 4ish as if I don't eat I rumble in the quiet moments :eek:

Lunch was lentil, sweet potato and bacon soup
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I refuse to accept you're having senior moments Caronc as I believe there's not a lot different in our ages :p. Hopefully you're be a lot better by the weekend :). I got my dehumidifier after I had a blocked downpipe and agree it can be slightly alarming on how much water it collects especially after rain, a colleague tells me it will dry washing quicker :)

PN I hope your arm is ok ?

Farway I agree that smoke salmon and cream cheese needs horseradish :). I'm also thinking about it now :cool: I was tempted in W8itrose by a YS gammon which is also on offer (either a third or 25% off) but it was too big for me and too small to cut in half, I didn't think until I was back in the office of cutting off slices for gammon steaks which I think Caronc does?

Both meals were from the freezer today, probably not a bad thing to clear some of my HM RMs I can be guilty of adding them to the freezer and not eating them. Although there was a slight mislabelling situation for dinner tonight, the container said lamb shank (which I couldn't remember making) but it contained baked gnocchi and white beans in a tomato and veg sauce :cool: Which I probably shouldn't have eaten before tai chi as I'm suffering indigestion now :(. I think next week I'm going to take something light into work to have 4ish as if I don't eat I rumble in the quiet moments :eek:

Lunch was lentil, sweet potato and bacon soup
    I'll change that to "menopausal women with lurgy moment" then but definitely a "moment" of some kind :rotfl::rotfl:
    Yep 'tis me that [STRIKE]hacks[/STRIKE] slicely neatly steaks from CFO+ sized gammon joint works a treat:cool:

CG - hope drugged up pooch is serene and oblivious to bangs. They have stopped here probably because it is both raining and baltic!!!
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'll change that to "menopausal women with lurgy moment" then but definitely a "moment" of some kind :rotfl::rotfl:
    Yep 'tis me that [STRIKE]hacks[/STRIKE] slicely neatly steaks from CFO+ sized gammon joint works a treat:cool:

CG - hope drugged up pooch is serene and oblivious to bangs. They have stopped here probably because it is both raining and baltic!!!

Now I can definitely relate to menopausal moments :o.

Jumped out of my skin walking across the school playground to tai chi earlier one really loud bang but with no visuals, I may have clutched my chest in reaction :rotfl: Luckily his lordship barely twitches a ear with the fireworks
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback