Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• BobBU
    BobBU Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The current Nationwide deal requires 2 DD's do these have to exist on the account I am switching from (one I no longer use) or can I add them to the new Nationwide account when it is set up?
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BobBU said:
    The current Nationwide deal requires 2 DD's do these have to exist on the account I am switching from (one I no longer use) or can I add them to the new Nationwide account when it is set up?
    Pretty sure they need to already exist. I've just switched, meant to complete tomorrow. I just changed the payment details online for my water and broadband to the account i'm switching from. 
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    BobBU said:
    You've read the T&Cs, right?

Point 7.
    You must transfer a minimum of 2 active Direct Debits from the current account being switched to the Nationwide account as part of the switch. Direct Debits set up or transferred after your switch has been started will not count towards this offer. Other types of automated payments, such as standing orders and recurring card payments, won’t count towards this.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 November 2023 at 10:12PM
    Options
    BobBU said:
    You've read the T&Cs, right?

Point 7.
    You must transfer a minimum of 2 active Direct Debits from the current account being switched to the Nationwide account as part of the switch. Direct Debits set up or transferred after your switch has been started will not count towards this offer. Other types of automated payments, such as standing orders and recurring card payments, won’t count towards this.
    There's no need to dive deep into the T&C when this is on the surface:
    Make sure your non-Nationwide account has 2 or more active Direct Debits
  • BobBU
    Options
    Many thanks everyone - obviously I didn't read everything available.
  • BobBU
    Options
    Not very knowledgeable on the mechanics of direct debits - I have set up 2 DDs to be paid from the account I want to switch from - is that all or do I have to wait until the first payments have actually been processed for them to be visible during the switch?
    Thanks in advance
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BobBU said:
    Not very knowledgeable on the mechanics of direct debits - I have set up 2 DDs to be paid from the account I want to switch from - is that all or do I have to wait until the first payments have actually been processed for them to be visible during the switch?
    Thanks in advance
    I personally waited til the first payments had come out but I read on here as long as they're showing as active it's fine for the switch.
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • loony767
    Options
    I'm going to use an old account I no longer use as a "burner" to get the cash for switching. To keep things as cheap as possible, I want 2 direct debits at a minimum nominal value so I'm thinking of 2 charity DDs. Which will accept about £2-3 a month so I only need to fund the account with a max of £6?
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 November 2023 at 4:10PM
    Options
    loony767 said:
    I'm going to use an old account I no longer use as a "burner" to get the cash for switching. To keep things as cheap as possible, I want 2 direct debits at a minimum nominal value so I'm thinking of 2 charity DDs. Which will accept about £2-3 a month so I only need to fund the account with a max of £6?
    Three I use @ £2/month

British Red Cross
    Macmillan Cancer Support
    RNLI

I'm sure there are loads more. It's considered good form to let these DDs run for a decent length of time otherwise the overhead to the charity of setting them up/shutting them down can be more than the donation.

Can take a week or two to get these set up.
  • Bridlington1
    Options
    loony767 said:
    There's a thread containing a list of savings/investment accounts that allow deposits by direct debit, many of which allow £1 direct debits. See:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6445857/savings-investment-dds-and-debit-card-deposits-an-updated-list/p1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback