Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    @bluebottle11
    To answer your question about switching.. if the new account you’ve opened comes with a debit card, you need to wait until it arrives before you can switch. The switch application will ask for the card number. 

• bluebottle11
    Options
    OK, thanks for the confirmation.  Apologies, I did mean the NatWest switch bonus, not Nationwide! Original post now edited.
  • Mogster85
    Options
    For the Natwest switching bonus, does anyone know if you need to keep the £1250 in the account until you get the bonus, or can you just transfer it straight back out again?

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2023 at 8:05AM
    Options
    "Deposit £1,250 into your account "
    'Deposit' means 'deposit', not 'keep'/'maintain balance'.
  • Mogster85
    Options
    grumbler said:
    "Deposit £1,250 into your account "
    'Deposit' means 'deposiIt', not 'keep'/'maintain balance'.
    I figured as much, but thought I'd better check. Thanks. :)

• reluctantswitcher
    Options
    Decided to apply for the NatWest account. Me and my wife have a joint account and we wanted to switch from our current bank.
    Apparently with NW - you cannot switch from a joint current account to a NW joint current account. According to their website you can only set up a single account first and then apply for another account holder as a joint account holder. Therefore this leaves you in a situation where you are trying to switch from a joint account to a single account....therefore obviously a no-go.
    There is probably an easy solution to this by speaking to someone - but not with NW. It is literally impossible to speak to a human. You get redirected to an endless circling around the FAQ page (which to me has always sounded rather like what I say to myself, every time it happens!!) 
    So guess what? We'll be going elsewhere - if they care so little at the point of trying to win new business, just imagine how terrible they would be afterwards. An over-reliance on AI is deeply worrying - particularly when it's clear that the Cora feature has been programmed by morons.
    It would be good if MSE could offer a bit more on the qualitative side of bank offers, rather than just the 'eye-candy' features. I've just wasted over an hour of my life on this pointless exercise for nothing.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    . . .
    Apparently with NW - you cannot switch from a joint current account to a NW joint current account. According to their website you can only set up a single account first and then apply for another account holder as a joint account holder. Therefore this leaves you in a situation where you are trying to switch from a joint account to a single account....therefore obviously a no-go.
    . . .
    In my experience this is not uncommon.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Paderooski
    Options
    The £200 Nat West/RBS offer sounds great but the hoops for using an existing Joint Account to switch need more explanation. If I read their online information correctly, first you need to open a single account, wait and then add your spouse to the account and then and only then can you do the switch. Also, they need 2 Direct Debits of at least £2 but what they fail to add is that these need to be monthly payments. I switched to TSB and they allow yearly payments. Just too much bureaucracy with your suggestions. I gave up!
  • badlyironed
    Options
    Hello,
    I am with Santander. I also have a small amount of money with La Poste in France, as I used to have a French girlfriend, and have been gradually dripping it back into my Santander account as needed. Some while back they told me that French cheques would be cashed in 5 to 8 days, if under £5000, so I sent them a cheque for five thousand euros, which they have admitted to receiving on the 20th of June. Suddenly, towards the end of July, I got a text saying I had exceeded my overdraft limit. I called them, and was told that as I had paid another cheque in recently, they had put it through a different system, which would take 5 to 8 WEEKS! I agreed to increase my overdraft on a temporary basis, as I expected the money to hit my account by the 15th of August at the latest! It didn't! I called again, well it might be up to 9 weeks. 9 weeks have come and almost gone. Do you know anything I can do to get them to cash the cheque for me? I need to pay for food, fuel, and my ex-wifes maintenance.and various other things. I suspect they are dragging their heels to ramp up the charges, so does anyone have an address that I can write to the Chief Executive at? Plus his name, of course.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 October 2023 at 10:21PM
    Options
    I've received two cheques from one of the most incompetent BSs (BS - How Appropriate!) in the land.
    They haven't said what they represent in the letter they're stapled to.  That's pretty much par for the Coventry BS.
    What they do have though is an Authorised Signatory that is a squiggle followed immediately by the digits 8137.
    Is this legal?  Just curious. If it means anything by way of a clue, the digits 1 and 7 are written German-style  i.e the 1 like a UK 7, the 7 crossed like a UK 7 overtyped with a hyphen.  [as in "Went The Day Well?"]

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback