What are you making for dinner?

edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
9.8K replies 603.7K views

Replies

• BrieBrie Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I had a friend round yesterday so made chorizo and celeriac tortilla with salad (home-grown lettuce).

Today I am making chicken in a creamy garlic and lemon sauce with artichoke hearts. Serving it with home grown green beans, cauliflower and celeriac dauphinoise.

Are the artichoke hearts fresh or canned??  I've never figured out how to deal with fresh artichokes.  And I've never cooked celeriac!!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    @Brie - I found these directions easy to follow and they worked as promised Globe Artichokes with Shallot Vinaigrette | Recipes | Delia Online

Had soft boiled eggs with butter and marmite in brown pitta bread accompanied by hot vegetable salad this evening as it was quite chilly when I got back from my walk. Am just about to make coffee and then investigate the cooled aquafaba meringues in the oven so wish me luck.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Am just about to make coffee and then investigate the cooled aquafaba meringues in the oven so wish me luck.
    How were the meringues??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve stripped the remaining roast chicken from yesterday’s roast, and there is loads of it! Some is earmarked for chicken and leek pot pies later in the week (diced cooked chicken and sautéed leeks in a cream sauce, with a cheesy mashed potato topping), but there will still be plenty of meat left over so have decided to make fried chimichangas with spicy refried beans, sliced chicken, peppers and cheese. I don’t have any wraps but I have plain flour, salt and vegetable oil so will have a bash at making my own.

The chicken carcass has been in the slow cooker all morning and the stock smells gorgeous. Will make soup of some kind for tomorrow’s lunch.
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying the last of the sunshine for a week (is the forecast ever right?) so a lazy supper of cheese and crackers, usual accompaniments, grapes, cornichon, bread for DH
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • csarina2csarina2 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gammon, salad and new potato's, more raspberries for dessert.
    Target figure £5,500/£2660.80
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just daughter and I tonight, we had prawn salad with new potatoes.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH cooked tonigh, well stuck a pizza in the oven and offered me some  <3 

Last night was jacket potato with cheese and beans. Was a busy day, up in the Big Smoke early doors for a proper in person race, first in 18mths and the first mass race to be back on in London.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• rachsecretrachsecret Forumite
    364 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    @Brie They were just canned atichokes. When the we had the big covid famine in the shops and the shelves were bare it was the only tinned beg they had in store and so I bought a few cans. I jus threw them in the tortilla mixture and they were lovely.

Tonight I had chicken with roast veg and salad. 
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fridge clearing here too tonight, ratatouille from the fridge gravel with garlic lamb steaks (freezer stash)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130