Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

What are you making for dinner? - Page 211

New Post Advanced Search

What are you making for dinner?

6.9K replies 442K views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs M I have been craving Lamb, and yours sounds lush - I must get some soon :)

Dinner here is Mediterranean spatchcock chicken, with cauliflower cheese, broccoli for me additional new potatoes and corn on the cob for the menfolk.

I am going to have to learn to shop and cook for 2 soon, once DS2 leave the end of August - took me ages to readjust when he went to Uni.... DH is worried about his waistline already :rotfl:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • edited 29 July 2018 at 6:41PM
    Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2018 at 6:41PM
    Made my first ever Delia Smith recipe, as such felt the need to put it here... devilled chicken drumsticks with the suggested pairing of onion rice from Delias Frugal Food. For the record itsmy only Delia Smith book and was gifted to me a very long time ago.

Have to say it was edible but a bit meh!

While Im here current favourite cookbooks are The Book of Greens by Jenn Louis try the Swiss chard polenta pg 81 and the absolutely cracking Salad Feasts by Jessica Elliot Dennison. Try the anchovy roast peppers with tomato beans pg 122 or roast tomato orzo with dukkah & thyme pg 94
  • klew356klew356 Forumite
    773 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Il cook something tonight but not sure what yet, I am aiming to use the meats from freezer plus I know there is at least two bags of corn on the cob that need used. Id like to make some room in the freezer for new produce! Il aim to defrost something at lunchtime. Lunch is a ham sandwich, maybes toast if I feel like mixing it up! :o
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want use up the cauliflower cheese from yesterday, I think I will use the frying steak I have in the freezer, flash fried and jacket spuds for the men - boring but easy ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just about to set off a chicken casserole in the slow cooker - chicken thighs, potatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tin of tomatoes.
  • I have some cherry tomatoes that are starting to go a bit wrinkly and discovered some cooked parma ham bits that have been rattling around in the freezer for months, so I’ll do a version of bacon & roast tomato risotto tonight and have that with a garlic bread slice and some green salad on the side.
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We'll be finishing up the hm meatloaf we had yesterday, with a little creamy mash, some red cabbage and carrots, and lashings of gravy. It was really nice.

For pud I have combined some slices of banana (which were starting to get a bit too ripe), some chopped up chocolate brownies (which were just a little bit too dry) and smothered it all in some homemade chocolate custard. It tastes fab.
  • JazeeJazee Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lasagne with garlic bread and salad here tonight. When I actually pull my finger out and start making it.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread 2020 #104 July £5.03 Total £1629.15/£3600
  • maisymoo5maisymoo5 Forumite
    137 posts
    Third Anniversary
    last night was a roast dinner at a friend's house and tonight was supposed to be meatballs and pasta but I defrosted chicken stir fry pieces instead (that will teach me to do it after too many glasses of wine). So tonight will be chicken stir fry with fridge raider vegetables/salad and some herb wraps.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Islandmaid wrote: »

I am going to have to learn to shop and cook for 2 soon, once DS2 leave the end of August - took me ages to readjust when he went to Uni.... DH is worried about his waistline already :rotfl:

Don't worry....I'll come and move in, your menus are always amazing :D

Well haven't been on here much as been out and about in RL and not really anything in terms of proper meals being consumed, I did go a bit mad buying the Caesar salad kits from Lidl so mainly been consuming those.

Last night we had our first hot meal in what feels like ages - retro fish in the bag and rice. Tonight I had fish in the bag again, with some LO pilau rice I found in the freezer and some petit pois.

Trying to use up some things we have in the cupboard (like several jars of jam, muffins from an xmas hamper, fruit in the freezer etc) before shopping although I always feel I'm saying / trying to do that.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16