PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are you making for dinner?

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    @JIL rice pudding is one of my husbands favourites too.  In the summer I make it Catalan style, with lots of orange and cinnamon flavours served cold in flat terracotta dishes with a brûlée style top if I can be bothered 🙂

Our youngest is home tonight for the weekend, his girlfriend has just left for a year being the lead act of a Royal Caribbean ship, so he’s a bit discombobulated 😕 making sweet and sour veg for him (vegan) and sweet and sour chicken for us, I don’t like serving rice 2 nights in a row, but he’s not sure when he’s arriving and it’s quick and easy 🤷‍♀️
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I made rice pudding this week too - the Community Larder was handing out 4 pint bottles of single cream, so that got used to pep up some pans of soup and to make a big dish of rice pudding for eating now plus some for freezing.

And talking of the Larder, there was so much veg being handed out free there this week. I have been busy prepping and freezing some of it (peppers, chillies, onions, spinach, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli), dehydrating some of it (mushrooms, sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, celery), and using a big selection of the aforementioned to make a big pan of veg curry for tonight, tomorrow night, and the freezer.  Even the curry paste and coconut milk was free, it was such a generous haul :)

No wonder I can't ever run the freezer down!  I really wanted to defrost the big upright one in the garage this weekend, but it's too overwhelming to contemplate.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been toldd we are having bbq tonight and I think I spotted some ribs in the fridge.  Also there's some corn on the counter (well it's actually corn on the cob which is on the counter....)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Stew and some random Yorkshire puddings! 
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    @Islandmaid if you get the opportunity please could you post the  recipe for Catalan rice pudding. He actually loved the rice pudding so much when in Spain that the restaurant we went to, used to bring him one instead of the dessert menu.

Tonight we had curry. Husband made it with an aldi special Balti sauce using chicken and spinach.
    I picked up 2 pollen and grace chick pea tikka masala for £1.25 each that came with rice. So that served as the sides and I did some paratha bread from the freezer. 
    Quick and easy.
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    @JIL I don’t really use a recipe, just what I was told to use when I asked in a restaurant in Catalan.  He did tell me to use small milk, which caused some head scratching, but we agreed it was Evaporated milk in uk 🤣.  Make your usual recipe add orange peel and cinnamon to the milk and heat to infuse before adding the rice.  I use bomba rice as it’s what I have, but pudding rice is fine (obs) and if you have some do try the evaporated milk if you don’t already, as it gives a beautiful richness.  I don’t use sugar in the rice, especially if I’m adding a brûlée top.  Oh and the best one I’ve had was down in Cadiz, that had almonds in and was 🤌 chef kiss.

basic BBQ here tonight, HM burgers and local farm sausages, salad and wine 🤗

£300/£130
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much @Islandmaid I did ask at the Spanish restaurant and he said his mum made it so he didnt know.
    I used evaporated milk in the weekend rice pudding but added sugar and it was far too sweet.
    I have used condensed milk in the past. Probably the best rice pudding I have ever made. 

Tonight its posh fishfingers. With ciabatta rolls and tartare sauce potato salad.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    fish and chips with some coleslaw for me.  I have a feeling someone else will be making a chip butty.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    Gorgeous morning!

Picky bits/BBQ today, dough for Focaccia is rising, pickled veg and olives, padron peppers, cheeses, field mushrooms, halloumi, hummus, guacamole, lentil chips. Strawberries for pudding 

might stick my head in the fishmongers as I need to pop into town at lunchtime for chiropractor appointment.

£300/£130
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    Double posting- how gauche….  It’s another warm one 🙌

King prawns in garlic, calamari and LO focaccia for lunch.

Korean spiced wings and rosemary lamb for dinner with salad tonight 

£300/£130
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family