What are you making for dinner?

edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.2K replies 677.2K views

Replies

• kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cba dinner tonight,  Aldi alphabites, half a tin of beans with sausages that was opened (OH ended up with most of my beans as they went mushy while the sausages heated..don't like mushy beans  :s) and a fried egg.

Got a nice little haul from Olio too, loaf of bread, potatoo slices, potato salad and sour cream. 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• SpiesSpies Forumite
    978 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Quorn sausages, mash, peas and gravy tonight with onion marmalade. 

Simple but effective. 
    Cumbria, Octopus Variable + Agile Outgoing
    Solar PV (11 * Trina Vertex S 390w - 1.95kW SSE, 2.34kW WSW)
    Growatt MIN 3600TL-XE, 50 degree pitch
    Comissioned 22/11/21 (£1.12/wp)
    My PV Output
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Toad in the hole today with roast potatoes, peas and gravy. We seem to have this a lot on Sunday tea time. 
  • arielgirlarielgirl Forumite
    430 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Baked potatoes with cheese and tuna. 
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steak and ale pie planned for this evening.  OH will insist on beans as well.  I need to make a salad for my lunch at work tomorrow so might have a bit of that with mine.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made a huge dish of cottage pie with a creamy buttery mixed root vegetable mash topping yesterday, to use up the last of the Christmas roast beef which I had minced and frozen. I was hoping to have more of this for dinner tonight, but Mr CJ  didn't like it - "It's got gristle in it" he grumbled, as he pushed it around his plate like a sulky toddler.  It absolutely doesn't have one iota of gristle in it, it was a fabulous piece of beef which had been nicely roasted and I had taken care when cutting chunks to go through the mincer that there were no fatty or chewy bits. Mine was delicious! 

Can you tell that I am cross??!

So tonight I will do roasted sausages with some cauliflower cheese. I'll heat up some of the leftover cottage pie for my lunch.
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    C_J said:
    I made a huge dish of cottage pie with a creamy buttery mixed root vegetable mash topping yesterday, to use up the last of the Christmas roast beef which I had minced and frozen. I was hoping to have more of this for dinner tonight, but Mr CJ  didn't like it - "It's got gristle in it" he grumbled, as he pushed it around his plate like a sulky toddler.  It absolutely doesn't have one iota of gristle in it, it was a fabulous piece of beef which had been nicely roasted and I had taken care when cutting chunks to go through the mincer that there were no fatty or chewy bits. Mine was delicious! 

Can you tell that I am cross??!

So tonight I will do roasted sausages with some cauliflower cheese. I'll heat up some of the leftover cottage pie for my lunch.
    Mr CJ should have commented on the lovely buttery mash instead of finding fault.

My OH doesn't get it that anything other than "MMMM!!  This is good!" comes across as criticism.  He doesn't understand that his cooking, while great, isn't always perfect but I always try to find a way to compliment.  

He will laughingly say "well this is overdone!" or similar - bacon is a common issue - he will tell me it's underdone but if I cook it a tiny bit more it's overdone or burnt in his opinion even when there's relatively little difference.  He even got upset the other morning as I did breakfast as normal and he didn't want eggs!  He didn't say he didn't so how was I supposed to know!  

(off to dig up the patio to deal with the issue once and for all)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brie said:
    Ha ha! If only I had a patio ......

I love Mr CJ dearly, but sometimes he can he difficult to live with. As can I, from his perspective, I'm sure.  After the best part of 40 years together I accommodate his quirkiness so automatically now - incl which type of spoon is required depending on which dessert it is, yes really, this is A Thing - that last night's criticism caught me offguard. Esp as I thought it unwarranted!

He is lovely 99% of the time though.
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pork steaks in a mustard sauce tonight, with some spuds and peas for himself 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C_J said:

Brie said:
    Ha ha! If only I had a patio ......

I love Mr CJ dearly, but sometimes he can he difficult to live with. As can I, from his perspective, I'm sure.  After the best part of 40 years together I accommodate his quirkiness so automatically now - incl which type of spoon is required depending on which dessert it is, yes really, this is A Thing - that last night's criticism caught me offguard. Esp as I thought it unwarranted!

He is lovely 99% of the time though.
     :D  :D we have a spoon thing too here. I think comments hurt when it's cooking because if the time / effort that actually goes into it.
    Could you have the pie tonight 'to save it going to waste' and let him fend for himself? I'm sure the pie was delicious, what time shall I be over to gobble up his portion? 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16