What are you making for dinner?

edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.5K replies 692.4K views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Garlic chicken breasts with sautéed sliced sprouts and bacon, with a few spuds for himself
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kerri_gt said:

Ohh, what do you make the caramel rum sauce with? Sounds yummy
    Melt 60g butter with 85g dark brown sugar, juice of half a lemon and 50ml (or thereabouts!) dark rum in a heavy based all-metal (no wooden handle) frying pan. Stir gently until sugar has dissolved and it turns into caramel. You can add a pinch of ground cloves at this point, but I don't always bother.

Arrange thickly sliced bananas all over the rum caramel, then cover with a sheet of puff pastry (tucked in all around the edges like a lid). Bake in the oven for oh I dunno, about 30 mins at a medium heat until puffed and golden, leave for 5 mins to start cooling down then carefully flip out onto a serving dish so the pastry is now underneath. Do not splatter yourself with hot caramel, it's a bit volcanic.  It is also v yummy.  Mr CJ uses a long handled sundae spoon for this one :D
  • Burgers, chips and beans. Aberdeen Angus 1/4 pounder or Linda McCartney veggie 1/4 pounder with mozzarella, depending on preference. There is leftover crumble.

Keep Smiling :)
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Beef stew with leftover beef from Sunday with rosemary and thyme dumplings.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    @C_J thanks for that. Annoyingly I have white rum...but I'm thinking pina colada vibes.... 

Dinner tonight was a portion of lamb casserole from the freezer, end of some sprouts I'd par boiled a while ago with some petit pois and last two Yorkshire puddings that were in the freezer too. 

I seem to have a lot of ingredients in the freezer atm, must make an effort to make those into something. Also going to need to make more stock as i have a chicken roasting in for mog and several carcasses in the freezer already. 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JILJIL Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We had mashed potatoes,  brussel sprouts,  tender stem broccoli,  and pie, husband had steak pie and I made a concoction from mushroom,  vegan quorn and vegan cream cheese. It was ok. I will be happy when January is over and I will revert back to just vegetarian I'm only doing vegan as daughter is doing veganuary. 
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Grocery shopping today, and I’m not sure what to have tonight, it might be an all day breakfast as I need to use up bacon and sausages 🧐 if not, fish gratin, but not sure I an be @rs3d to faff with that today 😂
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OH is being radical and has proposed fish (as in battered) with mash.  But also got scampi so we might do fish & scampi & mash.  I had intended salad with mine either way but I do love mash.....(don't tell the weight loss board)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • SpiesSpies Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fish, Chips, Mushy peas and a couple of slices of bread tonight  :open_mouth:
    Cumbria, Octopus Agile Incoming/Outgoing + Gas Tracker
    Solar PV (11 * Trina Vertex S 390w - 1.95kW SSE, 2.34kW WSW)
    Growatt MIN 3600TL-XE, 50 degree pitch
    Comissioned 22/11/21 (£1.12/wp)
    My PV Output
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Roast chicken, potatoes, peas, carrots, parsnips, stuffing, bread sauce and gravy.