Not sure what to do

Options
Hi,

I'm not actually a new user I've been a member for 10 years with over 3,000 posts but wanted to post under the radar.

I've been with my partner 6 years and we have a child who is 3.

We also own a house together.

Deep breath and here goes.............about once a week he'll take cocaine.

I've asked him to stop and he did try once and have a couple of weeks off of it. And it was great, he was a much better person but unfortunately it was short lived.

I'm sure people will tell me to get rid of him and that's what I'm leaning towards doing I just wanted to get my thoughts out and hear views from outsiders that don't know me personally.

I know there's some people that do drugs and they spend hundreds of pounds a week on it.
My partner will spend about £20 or £40 a week
So not a lot really so I'm wondering if I'm over reacting?

When he gets paid he transfers the whole lot to me as I'm very good with money, and most months we save £1,000 sometimes a bit more, so I sometimes think why am I moaning about him having £20 - £40 a week.

But on the other hand I'm anti drugs and have never tried any

I'm mid 30's now so its getting to the point where do I want to carry on with this

Thank you for reading

Comments

• HappyHandsMM
    Options
    Putting the actual drugs aside for a minute, what is it about his character when he's taking cocaine that you really dislike? I think you're better off concentrating on that and showing him why you're unhappy rather than making it all about the drugs.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    It wouldn't be about the money for me (currently, but it may get worse) it would be about my child, the example he is setting and just the unsavoury aspects of drug taking; supply, dealing, exploitation etc, etc.

I couldn't go there and if he wouldn't stop when asked he would be choosing the drug over the family.
  • mummyto_1
    Options
    Putting the actual drugs aside for a minute, what is it about his character when he's taking cocaine that you really dislike? I think you're better off concentrating on that and showing him why you're unhappy rather than making it all about the drugs.

To be honest I just leave him to it, he's downstairs on his play station with his beer and coke and I watch tv upstairs.
    He's not aggressive on it
    Our child is in bed when he does it

So that in itself is not a 'normal' family Friday night. He doesn't eat when he takes it as it suppresses your appetite apparently.
  • Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be so worried about his future healthwise and the example he is setting for your child. How long would it be before he increases the amount of cocaine I wonder? I would encourage him to seek help but if he refused I would have to consider the future.
  • JayJay100
    Options
    Does he understand that he's likely to lose you and your child if he doesn't stop this?
  • mummyto_1
    Options
    JayJay100 wrote: »
    Does he understand that he's likely to lose you and your child if he doesn't stop this?

I get the impression he thinks I wouldn't manage in the house without him. HA!

I actually earn more than him, plus the trust deed we set up when we bought the house states that ownership is 70% me 30% his

I've worked out that what I would get from the sale of the current house, I could buy a 2 bedroom house on my own.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mummyto_1 wrote: »
    To be honest I just leave him to it, he's downstairs on his play station with his beer and coke and I watch tv upstairs.
    He's not aggressive on it
    Our child is in bed when he does it

So that in itself is not a 'normal' family Friday night. He doesn't eat when he takes it as it suppresses your appetite apparently.

That's kinda weird, low-level use is usually in social situations, because it makes you very sociable and chatty, seems strange to be taking it but having nobody to interact with.

It's something I would be fine with before children came along, but once you're a parent it's time to grow up and ditch those kinds of habits especially at home with your child in the house (typing as someone whose ex husband refused to give up cannabis when we had children).
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • JayJay100
    Options
    mummyto_1 wrote: »
    I get the impression he thinks I wouldn't manage in the house without him. HA!

I actually earn more than him, plus the trust deed we set up when we bought the house states that ownership is 70% me 30% his

I've worked out that what I would get from the sale of the current house, I could buy a 2 bedroom house on my own.

He's in for a shock! :)
  • mummyto_1
    Options
    That's kinda weird, low-level use is usually in social situations, because it makes you very sociable and chatty, seems strange to be taking it but having nobody to interact with.

It's something I would be fine with before children came along, but once you're a parent it's time to grow up and ditch those kinds of habits especially at home with your child in the house (typing as someone whose ex husband refused to give up cannabis when we had children).

If he did it every now and then when he went out socially I wouldn't be too bothered.
    But every week indoors I do have issue with.

He's taken it since he was 18 and he's 29 now

Sounds daft but I'm worried about becoming a single mum
  • mummyto_1
    Options
    JayJay100 wrote: »
    He's in for a shock! :)

I might be getting ahead of myself here but if I did have to sell the house, at its current value and after paying off the mortgage outstanding I'd get around £180,000

And he'd get approx. £15,000

Looking at mortgage calculators I could borrow £160,000 on my own. So potentially could spend up to £340,000.

Sounds amazing but I do live in South East England
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport