Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• Nathan_H
    Options
    Hi everyone do any of you know, who pays for the electric the smart meter uses?
    does it get the electric it uses before going through the meters usage controller of after, as such that would mean I am paying to use a smart meter. and I dont want that.

I hope some one can clarify that for me

thanks
    Nathan H
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nathan_H wrote: »
    does it get the electric it uses before going through the meters usage controller of after, as such that would mean I am paying to use a smart meter. and I dont want that.

thanks
    Nathan H

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4607552/How-electricity-smart-meters-use-cost-run.html
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2018 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Nathan_H wrote: »

thanks
    Nathan H
    Relax, you re not paying a penny for the usage of the smart meter itself.It takes its power from the mains before the meter. Smart gas meter is also free being powered by a quite expensive Lithium Thionyl Chloride long life battery which should last about 10 years.
    When you first get a smart meter the suppliers may or may not provide you with an In House Display.
    You pay for the very small amount of electricity it takes to power it . I was told a few years ago it was as little as 60 p a year, so with the rise in prices lets call it a quid a year.
    Most people do not keep it plugged in for long and once the novelty has worn off, a few weeks, then its either binned or it takes up cupboard space gathering dust.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Hi

Any issues with logic & numeracy evident there, or is it a taster of what effect smart-meters will actually have on unit prices? ....
    ... We also spoke to some of the major energy providers and they confirmed that the amount of energy a smart meter used was about 1 kWh of electricity per year which would cost between 70p and £1 ...
    Gulp! ... :eek:;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Any issues with logic & numeracy evident there, or is it a taster of what effect smart-meters will actually have on unit prices? ....
    Gulp! ... :eek:;)

HTH
    Z

I agree that the maths are somewhat suspect! Clearly, if the journalist asked SmartEnergy GB, they must have spoken to the same guy that was responsible for the savings assumptions in the Business Case.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I agree that the maths are somewhat suspect! Clearly, if the journalist asked SmartEnergy GB, they must have spoken to the same guy that was responsible for the savings assumptions in the Business Case.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: ... :beer:
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • HELPlease
    Options
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum!
    I'm with SSE gas + Electric. Change to their smart meter in April this year.
    Gas bill+ smart meter problems!!
    Jan bill said I've spent more by 8% compare to same period in 2017 continue paying £55pm
    Than in April they've said my usage has gone down 27% = changed payment to £45pm,
    that my annual usage statement has gone down from 15,646 kWh April to April to 12,137 kWh 2018.

Fitted smart meter on 23 April 2018
    Bill on 16 July 18 says I've spent 516% more 5651 kWh this period (17April18 to 12 July 2018) compare to 918 kWh same period 2017.
    Result, monthly payment gone up to £113.End up paying in August 150% more.
    Phone to complain and was told they've miscalculated the gas estimate bill. After a lot of bargaining bill now shows £45pm.
    Was really puzzled by this as the leaflets I've received prior smart meter fitting and to quote "after too" ALL says "No more estimated bills". When I queried this was told they still estimate the bills.
    The smart meter stopped working likely mid October 2018. I've noticed the little smart gadget in house wasn't working properly. Kept an eye on it, switched on and off. Press a few buttons. Gave it some time to see if would work again.
    Start to feel worried as I although the dates were off, the gadget kept shown I was spending £25 first thing in the morning, when no gas has been used during the night. Phone them up and to summarise:

After a few calls back and forwards, was told that the outside smart meter isn't working (not sending meter readings), that there is a known issue with it and they will only be able to replace it maybe in 4 weeks time.
    When I've asked how they were going to calculate my bill and that I was unhappy with all the figures going completely wrong they finally logged a complain.
    I've been looking through my bills and wanted to switch to a fix deal but worried that:
    1) The meter outside is not sending measurements, that they might apply a ridiculous charge when I switch
    2) that they new provider won't take me in until new meter is fixed.

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue and any good advice sensible advice for the next step?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HELPlease wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum!
    I'm with SSE gas + Electric. Change to their smart meter in April this year.
    Gas bill+ smart meter problems!!
    Jan bill said I've spent more by 8% compare to same period in 2017 continue paying £55pm
    Than in April they've said my usage has gone down 27% = changed payment to £45pm,
    that my annual usage statement has gone down from 15,646 kWh April to April to 12,137 kWh 2018.

Fitted smart meter on 23 April 2018
    Bill on 16 July 18 says I've spent 516% more 5651 kWh this period (17April18 to 12 July 2018) compare to 918 kWh same period 2017.
    Result, monthly payment gone up to £113.End up paying in August 150% more.
    Phone to complain and was told they've miscalculated the gas estimate bill. After a lot of bargaining bill now shows £45pm.
    Was really puzzled by this as the leaflets I've received prior smart meter fitting and to quote "after too" ALL says "No more estimated bills". When I queried this was told they still estimate the bills.
    The smart meter stopped working likely mid October 2018. I've noticed the little smart gadget in house wasn't working properly. Kept an eye on it, switched on and off. Press a few buttons. Gave it some time to see if would work again.
    Start to feel worried as I although the dates were off, the gadget kept shown I was spending £25 first thing in the morning, when no gas has been used during the night. Phone them up and to summarise:

After a few calls back and forwards, was told that the outside smart meter isn't working (not sending meter readings), that there is a known issue with it and they will only be able to replace it maybe in 4 weeks time.
    When I've asked how they were going to calculate my bill and that I was unhappy with all the figures going completely wrong they finally logged a complain.
    I've been looking through my bills and wanted to switch to a fix deal but worried that:
    1) The meter outside is not sending measurements, that they might apply a ridiculous charge when I switch
    2) that they new provider won't take me in until new meter is fixed.

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue and any good advice sensible advice for the next step?

As far as I can see from the information in your post it's not a problem. If the meter is not sending smart readings then it's a dumb meter and you need to manually read the meter and submit the readings to get an accurate bill.
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am only a thick Lancastrian, but I have read hundreds of posts about Smart Meters and feel that nobody has worked out what is really going on:

1) The Government is pushing for 100% electric cars by 2040.

2) 62% of the price of petrol/ diesel is tax taken for the Government.

3) Electric cars re-charged on home electricity meters are not charged that 62% .... Massive loss in tax take.

4) Everyone is being pushed to have a Smart Meter that can monitor peak demand and monitor devices in use. Old meters can not monitor individual usage.

5) Eventually it will be compulsory to have a Smart Meter.

6) Voila.. Tax can be levied on the electricity used for recharging electric vehicles at home. Simple!

Smart meters will not be able to monitor individual items in use.
    As for the car tax, sure it's a £30~ billion hole, but it's one that we will see slowly getting dug. I expect this to be addressed by way of billing done per year based on your MOT. Mileage*KWh*Rates.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcontest wrote: »
    Smart meters will not be able to monitor individual items in use.
    As for the car tax, sure it's a £30~ billion hole, but it's one that we will see slowly getting dug. I expect this to be addressed by way of billing done per year based on your MOT. Mileage*KWh*Rates.
    Not yet, but the infrastructure being installed now could be used as a stepping stone on the way to doing just that.

The first barrier to having remote monitoring of individual appliance use is having the communications network to transfer the data. Once that communications network is established you are well on the way to achieving what the OP proposes.

But overall I agree with you, the Government's preferred option will be to increase per-vehicle road tax possibly with a usage element based on annual miles driven. The latter is more likely to be implemented through a 'black box' solution that becomes compulsory on vehicles manufactured after a certain date.

Lift the bonnet on most modern cars and if you knew what you were looking for you'll find most of the technology required is already in them.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure