Flat stomach without the sit ups!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
42 replies 9.6K views

Replies

• gt568gt568 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All well and good but if you've got loose skin around the stomach from when you were a fat, you'll never see the muscles underneath!
    :silenced: Down with the signature fascists!!:naughty:
  • there is no shortcuts ,if u want 6packs do the required work
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gt568 wrote: »
    All well and good but if you've got loose skin around the stomach from when you were a fat, you'll never see the muscles underneath!

True, and a good incentive not to get too fat in the first place,
  • edited 27 October 2017 at 9:39AM
    PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2017 at 9:39AM
    Sicard wrote: »
    Actually the OP specifically asked for advice on anything to get a flatter stomach without sit-ups. They didn't say no exercises.
    The OP actually posted:
    ferry wrote: »
    Need some help and advice please
    I need to acheive a flatter stomach after years of beer abuse (and bring my midrift into line with the rwst of my body)and I need your help getting one but without the sit up/crunches.
    I simply cant bring myself to go through my arch nemesis of exercises to acheive that ...sorry!
    So, can i please ask for any any advice on how I can get flatter tummy?

Thanks as usual
    So to me, that meant any exercises at all.
    It clearly meant something different to you.
    Your myopic vision is not only limited to your physical condition but mental too. I chose that set of exercises because most of them were successful by a number of people. But you chose to single out only one sit-up exercise out of several in a unnecessary critical way, almost personal I might add. The remaining exercises would suit the OP's request but you chose to ignore that fact. I responded in a humorous to try to lighten the situation but again you came back in a vindictive and nasty responsive way which is your style as we have clashed on occasion before.
    You have no idea what my physical condition is.
    Nor do you have any idea of my mental condition.
    Your comments are personal and unnecessary.

You may think that my comments towards you are 'almost personal' but they have all been relating to the content of your posts, not your own physical appearance or mental state.
    Unlike yours.

The remaining exercises would not suit the OP as he says his "arch nemesis is exercise".

You may have considered your posts to be humorous but the OP was asking for help on a physical issue he has and may or may not have appreciated your joke.

I have no knowledge of any clashing with you in the past.
    I rarely take notice of a poster's username.
    Clearly, you do.
    Then in your blinding urge to seek vengeance you again came back yet again in a bid to throw another metaphorical spiteful dart. So I can only surmise that you have some kind of grudge against me on a very personal level and it may take you some courage but it would be nice to know; what is it you have against me?
    No seeking vengeance from me.
    I do not know you.
    I cannot recall posting on any other thread that you have been involved in.
    So, you may take it that I have no personal grudge against you.

I just feel that you have been unnecessarily flippant in this thread.

Now that I am aware of your username and your attitude when inaccuracies in your posts are pointed out, you can be assured that I will steer a wide berth on any thread we may both post on (through the 'ignore' feature).

I too apologise to the OP for derailing his thread.
  • fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an easier way...
    632581._UY200_.jpg
  • trailingspousetrailingspouse Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert, but I agree with the OP re sit-ups - I've never been able to do them. The problem is that until you have some stomach muscle you'll never get off the ground (literally).

Until my Pilates teacher introduced me to a sort of backwards sit up. I call them sit-downs, but I'm sure there will be people on here who know the correct name.

Basically, you start by sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you. You then lean over backwards, as far as you can do it controlled and comfortably - and then come back to a sitting position. It doesn't matter if you can't get very far to begin with, your stomach muscles are engaged and working from the get go.

I went from not being able to do a sit up, to being able to do 10 'sit downs' (leaning all the way back to the floor, then coming back up) within about a week.

OP - a prominent stomach will be a combination of fat and under-used muscle. And to be successful, you need to diet to get rid of the fat and exercise to improve the muscle. If you do one but not the other you'll only do half the job.
  • ChickabiddybexChickabiddybex Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭
    Sit ups aren't recommended these days crunches and planks are. It's better for your back. People also do flutter kicks, dead bugs, or hanging leg raises if you are able to do them. However - it doesn't matter how many ab exercises you do, they won't give you a flatter stomach. In fact, if you build them up too much your stomach will just stick out more. What you need to do is lose fat to get a flatter stomach. If there is no fat on your stomach, it will be flatter. Simple. So yeah, a flatter stomach with no exercise? 100% possible. Just eat fewer calories.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sit ups aren't recommended these days crunches and planks are. It's better for your back. People also do flutter kicks, dead bugs, or hanging leg raises if you are able to do them. However - it doesn't matter how many ab exercises you do, they won't give you a flatter stomach. In fact, if you build them up too much your stomach will just stick out more. What you need to do is lose fat to get a flatter stomach. If there is no fat on your stomach, it will be flatter. Simple. So yeah, a flatter stomach with no exercise? 100% possible. Just eat fewer calories.
    Bang on correct! :T
  • SandC wrote: »
    Diet and compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, lunges etc.). You need to have a low bodyfat percentage as others have said. I know plenty of guys and gals with flat stomachs who don't do sit ups or crunches.

My core is quite strong but I've got a squidgy layer of fat over the top so I'll never see the muscles. :-)

*Edited to say, also running. My friends who run a lot have flat stomachs. Boils down to the same thing again though, bodyfat percentage.

This, this and this.

Sit-ups, crunches, fancy machines are all pointless. As pointless as no exercise too.

I want to be a millionaire without working, it just doesn't happen.

Eat a healthy balances diet, include some HIIT work with big compound exercises. Then you give yourself a 'chance' of a six pack.

Genetics plays a huge part, some people have naturally visible abs, some not so much. It is a muscle, same way people have monster shoulder, quads etc.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals