Flat stomach without the sit ups!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
42 replies 9.6K views
135

Replies

  • ButtiButti Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apart from what everyone else has said. Cut your sugar - that includes beer! Get cycling or running to get your metabolism up. Print off the five minute plank - cycling and that really helped me but then I was training for the coast to coast!

    Looking at the positives, being fat makes you harder to kidnap :rotfl:
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sicard wrote: »
    This is me after 4 weeks (and he doesn't have to do the sit-ups):
    Odd use of 'he'.

    My mistake,
    I thought you were trying to help the OP with your link to exercises but clearly not.

    Like LadyDee, I too find the photo repulsive (hence my deleting it from your quote). All those ropy (literally) veins.
  • SicardSicard Forumite
    716 Posts
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Odd use of 'he'.

    My mistake,
    I thought you were trying to help the OP with your link to exercises but clearly not.

    Like LadyDee, I too find the photo repulsive (hence my deleting it from your quote). All those ropy (literally) veins.

    You really are an old sourpuss, aren't you?

    2a0e3qq.jpg
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
  • AirJoeAirJoe Forumite
    62 Posts
    You need to use more energy than you take in. Clean up your diet (less processed foods, especially sugar) and get moving. Maybe take up Park Run? Even better if you can convince a friend to join you. That'll help keep you motivated.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sicard wrote: »
    You really are an old sourpuss, aren't you?
    If you say so.

    At least I offered my opinion that what the OP wanted wouldn't work, rather than a link that included the specific exercise that the OP didn't want to do.
    In fact the OP specifically said they didn't want to do any exercises.

    Maybe you thought that posting a link to a set of exercises would amuse the OP.....
    Is that what you call a sense of humour?
  • dunroving wrote: »
    Dieting without exercise will lead to you losing muscle mass as well as fat - so you could end up becoming one of the "skinny fat" (people whop look skinny, but have substantial internal fat deposits). Not a healthy situation.

    Doing sit-ups (or similar) will not "spot-reduce" fatness. There is ample research evidence of this.

    A podgy belly is due to (a) fat deposits under the skin and (b) weak abdominal muscles.

    The solution therefore is three-fold: (a) exercise (to lose weight); (b) diet (to lose weight), and (c) find some sort of abs exercise that is acceptable to you (to firm up the underlying muscle).

    Or you could waste your money on these miracle cures that will promise you to get rid of belly fat. The only weight you will lose that way is in your wallet.

    Skinny fat is worse than being regular fat, in my opinion. I was skinny fat. Problem there, is when you want to lose the fat, you have so little muscle mass that you can end up getting too small, so it is not a great situation to be in. You have to lift weights to build up some muscle mass to bring your body back into proportion

    As I said before, it will require lifestyle change to transform your body. For me, I lift weights in my garage 3-4 times per week. Don't like the idea of going to a gym - I'm a little self conscious. But also, you can pick up all the gear you need for a couple hundred quid - far better than gym membership, cost wise.
  • SicardSicard Forumite
    716 Posts
    Pollycat wrote: »
    If you say so.

    At least I offered my opinion that what the OP wanted wouldn't work, rather than a link that included the specific exercise that the OP didn't want to do.
    In fact the OP specifically said they didn't want to do any exercises.

    Maybe you thought that posting a link to a set of exercises would amuse the OP.....
    Is that what you call a sense of humour?


    Actually the OP specifically asked for advice on anything to get a flatter stomach without sit-ups. They didn't say no exercises. Your myopic vision is not only limited to your physical condition but mental too. I chose that set of exercises because most of them were successful by a number of people. But you chose to single out only one sit-up exercise out of several in a unnecessary critical way, almost personal I might add. The remaining exercises would suit the OP's request but you chose to ignore that fact. I responded in a humorous to try to lighten the situation but again you came back in a vindictive and nasty responsive way which is your style as we have clashed on occasion before.

    Then in your blinding urge to seek vengeance you again came back yet again in a bid to throw another metaphorical spiteful dart. So I can only surmise that you have some kind of grudge against me on a very personal level and it may take you some courage but it would be nice to know; what is it you have against me?

    BTW sorry OP for stealing your thread.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
  • To bring things back on topic, regarding what I said earlier about being skinny-fat, I can share the recomp diet and exercise plan I was using if it helps?

    https://www.fitness-savvy.co.uk/build-muscle-and-burn-fat-body-recomposition-facts

    Hopefully that is of some use.
  • SandCSandC Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Diet and compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, lunges etc.). You need to have a low bodyfat percentage as others have said. I know plenty of guys and gals with flat stomachs who don't do sit ups or crunches.

    My core is quite strong but I've got a squidgy layer of fat over the top so I'll never see the muscles. :-)

    *Edited to say, also running. My friends who run a lot have flat stomachs. Boils down to the same thing again though, bodyfat percentage.
  • ChickabiddybexChickabiddybex Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭
    I find that the best exercises to get a flatter stomach are fork put downs and plate push aways.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals