Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• leylandsunaddict
    Options
    We have had the same experience with Teletext. New flights cost £300 more, but thought under ATOL we were covered for replacement flights. Any advice please?

If you had an Atol certificate the agent should have replaced your flights at no extra cost, or refunded you for the complete arrangement covered by the certificate.

Presuming Truly Travel issued the Atol certificate, unfortunately when you book through a shonky online agent customer service is often non existent, and they often either don't know their obligations under their Atol, or try to get out of them.
  • lucytee
    Options
    Speak to your bank. They have gone in with the claim for the rest on mine.
    Thanks. I have contacted Natwest. I used a Debit Card so have gone down the "chargeback" route. Fingers crossed!
  • bradders1983
    Options
    lucytee wrote: »
    Thanks. I have contacted Natwest. I used a Debit Card so have gone down the "chargeback" route. Fingers crossed!

Natwest sent me a text yesterday saying due to extreme volumes it may take longer than normal to deal with and are hoping to process things within 28 days. Logged it on the 5th.
  • AstinMatt
    Options
    Hello

I was affected by Monarch collapse and I have received an email from Cegagroup.com claiming to be acting on behalf CCA for Monarch claims.

They have sent me a claims form to fill in.

Is this legitimate?

Thanks

Matt
  • bradders1983
    Options
    AstinMatt wrote: »
    Hello

I was affected by Monarch collapse and I have received an email from Cegagroup.com claiming to be acting on behalf CCA for Monarch claims.

Is this legitimate?

Thanks

Matt

Hmm, the only company they specify on the website is "Protect Claims"

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/atol-claims-and-refunds/monarch-refunds/

I would ring them and ask, the number is on that page.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    AstinMatt wrote: »
    Hello

Is this legitimate?

Thanks

Matt

They're certainly a legitimate company. They deal with Air Ambulance repatriations, medical assistance emergencies and provide insurance for businesses etc. I doubt very much they've sent a fraudulent email, but whether it's been done using their name/email address is a different matter.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    We have had the same experience with Teletext. New flights cost £300 more, but thought under ATOL we were covered for replacement flights. Any advice please?

As far as I understand it ATOL covers a refund if the holiday company or a supplier to goes bust and repatriation if you are stranded due to the failure of an airline.

An insurance company may cover the difference, but it isn't standard on most policies.

Some holiday companies are trying to offer alternative flights to customers, but as we are all aware the prices shot up as Monarch customers rebooked new flights. I believe travel agents can buy insurance that covers the extra costs, but it is uncommon and not all will have this.

ATOL cover is good in that no one is left stranded or out of pocket, but not good enough to cover the additional cost of rescuing a holiday I'm afraid and it's only when something goes wrong you find out what is and isn't covered.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2017 at 3:44PM
    Options
    I wonder if you could help me, we were supposed to fly back from Malaga to Gatwick on 11th October at 11.50am, we checked on CAA website and our flight was changed to 19.20hrs in the evening, we had a connecting flight from Gatwick to Newquay that evening at 20.10hrs so we missed our connecting flight and had to stay overnight at Gatwick, we paid for a room and had to pay for another flight the next morning on the 12th October which left at 9.30am, what is the best way to get a refund? we booked through direct line flights for the monarch flight and we have an Atol Certificate, but we booked through flybe for our Newquay flight. We have insurance through Staysure and paid extra for (Connecting flight cover) I am not sure how to go about claiming. The problem is that we paid for our flights when we had a bank account that we no longer have and have no details of our old account so I don't think that our old bank will help us with it if I tried to claim through the chargeback form.

Well you cant claim any form of refund regarding the flights as a flight was provided and you got on it, sounds to me this is one for your insurance company to sort regarding the missed connection issue.

The CAA are entertaining claims for expenses racked up due to flights leaving later than scheduled however this seems to be expenses racked up abroad rather than at the other end.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/atol-claims-and-refunds/claims-for-out-of-pocket-expenses/

Have you rang them to ask if they would cover a missed connection in the UK?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    You didn't have a connecting flight because you'd got 2 separate tickets, and you're looking to claim for something that as far as Monarch goes, that's totally unconnected to your booking with them. A chargeback would be unlikely because flybe did nothing wrong. The flight was available for you to use. Contact your travel insurers about it.
  • oldmotherb
    Options
    Just to say to persevere. I had two separate bookings with Monarch for return flights to Fuerteventura. Both on Barclaycard credit card. One booking was for three return flights at £77 per person (so a total bill of £231) and another for one return flight costing £84. Barclaycard have refunded both. I copied the template letter for the chargeback scheme as each individual flight cost less than £100, sent copies of flight confirmation emails and received a full refund for both bookings within 5 days! Can't fault Barclaycard for their level of service on this occasion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure