We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit Card Reclaiming Success Stories

Options

Comments

• sm222
    sm222 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Provider - MBNA (2 Credit Crads - 1 now closed)
    Amount reclaimed - £130.09 (97 fees, 33.09 interest) & £271.02 (222 fees, 49.02 interest)
    Amount they paid - £130.09 & £271.02!

7.2.08 - wrote to request statements
    11.3.08 - issued claim letters
    9.4.08 received offer of £37 (difference between fees paid & £12 per fee)
    11.4.08 received offer of £78 (difference between fees paid & £12 per fee)
    11.4.08 - wrote to say I would continue to pursue the full amount.
    £37 & £78 received by cheque/credited to existing account.
    Today!! Received letters offering a further £93.09 and £193.02 - making the full amount claimed!!

Thanks Martin - what would we do without you?!
    :j :beer: :T :rotfl: :j
  • delizz
    delizz Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    PROVIDER: MBNA
    AMOUNT RECLAIMED:ABOUT £1700
    AMOUNT SO FAR: £467

went through all the usual and had an offer for £467. refused it and sent an e mail saying i wanted the full amount or i will take them to court. had a phonecall saying they had credited my account with £467 and are looking into the rest.. will wait and see what happens but im hopeful!!!

love this site!!!:T :money: :beer: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • netty_sland
    netty_sland Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    BANK: MBNA
    AMOUNT RECLAIMED: £1,558.73
    AMOUNT THEY PAID: £1,558.73
    THE STORY:
    Having sent off all my letters as stated in previous posts, with the help of the templates from this site:money:. I have received a final letter today 16th May 2008 from MBNA saying although they do not accept or agree with my complaint. They have arranged for a further goodwill payment of £1,028.73 to be credited to my account, in addition to the previous goodwill payment of £530.00. They quoted ' This means that we have paid the whole amount of your complaint'. Thankyou very much but how many times over must I have paid this account in eight years!! They are to refund any credit balance to me by cheque within the next 10 working days, about £266 to myself. I won't hold my breath until it arrives but seem pretty confident that it will.
    Just a word to anyone hesitating about reclaiming these charges PLEASE PLEASE go ahead with it, afterall its YOUR money and all for the sake of a few letters and a bit of time.
    Wishing you all success with your claims and a GREAT BIG THANKYOU to every one who posts on this site as I myself would probably not have done it if it wasn't for you success stories.:T
    Also a GREAT BIG THANKYOU to Martin. Keep up the good work.:beer:

UPDATE; GOOD NEWS ALL RECEIVED MY FINAL CHEQUE FOR £266.07, 17TH MAY 2008. THATS MBNA OUT OF MY LIFE 4EVA. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND ONCE AGAIN MARTIN THANKYOU TO YOU AND YOUR SITE FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
  • nova
    nova Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,
    Blimey MBNA must be on a roll, we claimed back £588.12 after one letter got offered the difference between the old and new charge as,yes you've guessed it "a gesture of goodwill!" then we said thanks but we'd like the rest please or we'll go to court and yipee today we got " as another gesture of goodwill" they paid he rest and that included interest. So Thanks Martin and everyone who helps everyone else on this site.:j :j :j :j
  • flyersj18
    flyersj18 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    flyersj18 wrote: »
    Provider: Barclaycard

Claimed Visa - £672 + £232.12 interest (£904.12 Total)
    Claimed MC - £620 + £204.97 interest (£824.97 Total)

Amount received (So far!) Visa £747.36 MC £0.00

Timeline - 17 March sent letter to BC special delivery requesting refund of all charges plus interest for both cards. Reply requested within 14 days. No response received so on 1st April rang Customer Relations (08445560104) and registered complaint with them. Followed up on 2nd April with another special delivery letter giving 14 days before I commenced court action. On 4 April a refund of £252 + £20.16 interest was applied to my Visa card. Still no letter as yet but when I checked online this morning another £475.20 credit has been applied to my account! As yet nothing on the Mastercard however I will pursue them for the full payment on this account as well as the last £156.76 on the Visa!

A note to anyone living in Scotland - ask for the full six years worth of charges instead of the Scottish five years, they will probably pay them anyway and you can always drop a year if need be. I was in the fortunate position of having an English postal adress to use if I had needed to go down the court route but it would appear that Barclaycard are now trying to settle as many cases as possible before this becomes necessary!

Anyway at minimal cost I now have a positive balance on my Visa card so thanks to all those who have posted before and led the way. Next stop - reclaiming £2450 from Natwest in bank charges, just a pity things are on hold at the moment but hey, the interest on that sum is going up daily!

Just to add that Barclaycard have now paid me £648 on my Mastercard account including interest... I am pursuing them for the remaining interest on that account as well as my Visa account through the Financial Ombudsman.

Keep on reclaiming YOUR money from the Rip Off institutions!
  • marbletiara
    Options
    Sorry posted this in the wrong place lol
  • andyw76
    andyw76 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Provider: Egg PLC
    Amount Reclaimed: £720

Amount they paid: £689
    The story:

Offered £108 so I laughed and got the FOS involved. Egg responded saying they would rather pay up than be investigated by FOS so now waiting for cheque to the value of £689

Woo

Andy
  • famriley
    Options
    :money: Cheers martin for your advice.

I was trying to reclaim my credit card charges or should say the differance of my £25 charges as I run these charges up so I felt it unfair to reclaim them all but after my battle with Citi cards I won a very rewarding charge with the help of the Ombudsman and Martin.
    I asked Citi for the differerance which took them over 8 months to sort out thats some back log they finally decided their final insult or decision they call it was only £104.08 which I waited to turn up then cashed the cheque and advised them I would take this only as an initial payment as this payment fell short of there final calculations by £34 I felt a bit insulted by this an demanded they returnthe £34 I had been done out of they refused therefore I went to the Financial Ombudsman and after only 4 weeks they had had a reply from Citi to say they were closing the case if I accepted there final offer of £550 which I must say was £516 more than I actually telephoned for therefore bad buisness by their senior management and a loss of £516 rather than the loss of £34.
    Don't let them push you if you go to the financial ombudsman you get the full charge back not just the difference set out by the financial experts.

NOT A BAD RESULT AFTER ALL And CITI EMPLOYEES ARE NOT HELPFUL THEY WILL TRY AND FOB YOU OFF DO NOT REST ON THIS PESTER THEM WEEK AFTER WEEK OR DAY AFTER DAY THEY THEN PUT A NOTE ON YOUR FILE AND YOU WILL GET A PAY OUT SOONER OR LATER.:rotfl:
  • catinthehat1
    catinthehat1 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    Sent letter to Barclaycard two months ago:
    Provider: Barclaycard
    Amount reclaimed: £900
    Amount they paid: £803.52

In their first letter last week offered £240, we declined and threatened court action - today have written will now pay £803.52
    RESULT!!:beer:

DEBT free:j

• boardingbob
    Options
    Provider: Capital One
    Amount Reclaimed: £108

Amount they paid: £120
    The story: One simple sample letter to Capital One asking for £108, they came back with an offer of £120 (£108 + £12 interest). Thanks MSE!

Shame Egg are playing hardball, Financial Ombudsman here i come.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure