We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit Card Reclaiming Success Stories

Options

Comments

• netty_sland
    Options
    Provider: CAPITAL ONE
    Amount Reclaimed:£996.46
    Amount they paid: £226 (OFFERED)
    The story:

1)WROTE 6TH FEB FOR A LIST OF CHARGES + ADDED £10 FOR FEE
    2)REPLIED 26TH FEB WITH INFORMATION REQUESTED AND KEPT THE £10 FEE.
    3)WROTE AGAIN 10TH MAR TO REPAY ALL CHARGES TOTALLING £712 AND GAVE 14 DAYS TO REPLY.
    4)REPLIED 14TH MAR CHARGES ARE LAWFULL TERMS AND CONDS IN AGREEMENT SO ON. OFFERED £226 GOODWILL AND WILL REFUND FROM ACCOUNT ON RECEIPT OF SIGNED SETTLEMENT FORM ENCLOSED.IF I DO NOT RESPOND IN 4 WEEKS WILL CONSIDER MATTER CLOSED. (AGAIN AS IF!)
    5)RECEIVED SAME LETTER AS ABOVE ON 3RD APR WHY!! NO IDEA.
    6)SENT ANOTHER LETTER 10TH APR REQUESTING CHARGES AND NOW INTEREST OR GOING TO COURT. £996.46.
    7) REPLIED 18TH APR WITH SORRY OFFER NOT GOOD ENOUGH ALTHOUGH STILL STANDS AND IS FINAL OFFER. ALSO THIS IS FINAL RESPONSE TO THIS MATTER, GIVING ME OPTION TO GO TO FOS. STILL EXPECTING ME TO SIGN SETTLEMENT FORM AND 'SAVE THE COURTS VALUABLE TIME'.
    8) I FILED A COMPLAINTS FORM TO FOS AND GOT A REPLY 29TH APR SAYING DUE TO HIGH VOLUMES OF ENQUIRIES WILL PROVIDE ME WITH A FULL RESPONSE AS SOON AS THEY CAN. GAVE ME A TEL AND REF NO. IF I NEED TO GET IN TOUCH AGAIN.
    THIS IS ANOTHER CARD I TOOK OUT IN 2000 AND NOT USED SINCE 2002 WITH A £500 LIMIT. MY BALANCE IS STILL ABOUT £400. HENCE THE ONGOING QUEST.
    ONCE AGAIN THANX TO EVERYONE ON THIS SITE FOR GIVING ME THE INSPIRATION TO FIGHT THESE CHARGES.
  • MB_GOLD
    MB_GOLD Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Bank: Beneficial
    Amount Reclaimed: £309+interest £90
    Amount they paid: £309

The story:

Sent the first letter and got the statements I needed to make the claim.

Made the claim and was refused on the grounds that the charges were as per the agreement.

Wrote back and threatened court action but offered compromise of only asking for charges (£309) not interest (£90).

Was then offered £155 as a goodwill gesture. This was rejected and I gave them 7 days to reconsider my offer to settle at £309.

Letter arrived yesterday offering the £309 and has been accepted.

I'm moving onto MBNA and the wife's John Lewis card next.
  • eaglegunner
    Options
    Provider: BARCLAYCARD
    Amount Reclaimed: £226.80 including interest

Amount they paid: £226.80

The story:
    Sent the first letter 25/02/08 - requesting refund.
    Received letter 28/02/08 - offering me refund of difference b/w £20 & £12 charge: £84.24 including interest
    Received letter 29/02/08 - offering me a further £142.56 (including interest)as a goodwill gesture.(Which they automatically debited to my 5 year old Closed account without even letting me know- so they said later even though i later found they had actually credited the whole amount to Cabot Financial- whom they sold my debt to - and which i had cleared as of Mar 2007!
    Sent the second letter 05/03/08 - Saying i no longer had an account with Barclaycard and that they send me a cheque. No response.

On 25/03/08 i phoned the number 01642 663631 for Customer relationship managers at Barclaycard(i got from this web site) and was told that i send in letter with a copy of confirmation that i had zero (0) balance with Cabot along with bank details to enable payment.

Sent letter on 26/03/08 with proof that i had zero (0) balance along with my bank details.

No response, so i called Barclaycard again on 22/04/08 and was told Cabot had been credited with the total amount of my claim since 29/02/08!!!!!!

22/04/08, called Cabot and threatened them with court action for accepting claim on my behalf and keeping quiet, they promised to get back to me after 'investigating'

01/05/08 Cabot phoned this morning to let me know that they had concluded their investigation and would be sending me a cheque for the full amount within 2 weeks.... i wonder why it takes them two weeks to write and send a cheque, unless of course all illgotten and ripped-off money is stashed in a high yield 2-week+ notice account?

Anyway, i want to thank Martin and everyone contributing to this web site... its been immense. I'm now going to go after barclaycard for my PPI, as i await FOS on my PPI claim and barclays on my bank charges(perhaps stayed)
    Barclayloan PPI: £2114.40 + 8% int- FOS: sent 17/03/08
    Barclaycard PPI: £180plus + 8% int - to send off letter 1
    Barclaycard charges: £210 + 8% int- Agrd to pay in full 26/03/08
    Barclays Bank charges: - SAR sent 17/03/08
    H'fax acc/B'clays B'nessloan PPI: - SAR Prep
  • YEOSAL
    YEOSAL Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Provider: MBNA
    Amount Reclaimed: £302.30 including interest
    Amount they paid: £120.00 at first, now they have agreed to pay the balance of £182.30

After 1st letter, MBNA sent cheque for £120.00. I sent 2nd letter to say "thank you very much, but I would like the rest"

Received a letter this morning saying they are sending a cheque for the rest!
    PPI Reclaimed -
    DFS £345.70 :D
    Credit Card Charge Successes x 4 :beer: :money:
  • YEOSAL
    YEOSAL Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    A WORD TO THE WISE

In february I reported of success from credit card charge claiming from Capital One. They put the balance on my account which left a credit balance.

22nd Feb - I sent a letter asking for the money to be put into my bank account and gave them the details, or for a cheque to be sent.
    6th March - They told me they were sending a cheque within 14 working days.
    02nd April - I rang them as cheque not recevied and they told me 21 working days and I should receive by 05th April.
    27th April - Rang again and they said will be in my account within 4 working days. Had to give account details again.
    03rd May - Rang and gave them what for and had a massive row on the phone. They have now told my that my account is blocked and marked as inactive as I did not activate a credit card in 2006. I never activated the card as I wanted to keep paying off balance and not spend on it, think I probably destroyed it, but as I cant remember that far back they are giving me grief! Then lady says to me "its for your own good, would you like it if someone had your card and spent all the money on it?" And I replied how could they do that if the card was never activated!

Why on earth has it taken 2 months to find this out and why did I have to incur extra expense in phone calls to find this out.

This has got to be the worse company I have ever been dealing with and it is only for £56.78!

Thanks for reading my rant, still got steam coming out of my ears, but hopefully this post may help if someone else in same boat.
    PPI Reclaimed -
    DFS £345.70 :D
    Credit Card Charge Successes x 4 :beer: :money:
  • WEE_TINK
    WEE_TINK Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Provider: Capital One
    Amount Claimed: £592
    Amount They Paid: £739.26

I claimed on November last year Capital One refused to pay me the amount £592 they offered a pathetic £192! Letters got sent back and forward they still were not pay out any more, i used all of the letters from Martins wonderful site.
    Capital One told me that they were not going to pay any more on what they had offered and that if i wasn't happy i could contact the Financial Ombudsman, on which i did because i wasn't happy with the offer.
    They were fantasic with me kept me up to date on what was happening. Capital One still were not budging with more money! Financial Ombudsman told them they either pay me in full with interest or come to half decent payment!
    Got a letter few days after the Ombudsman contacted them again Offering £604 and £135.26 Interest Totalling to £739.26. I'm over the moon just received my cheque on 28.4.08.
    I couldn't have done it without Martin and everybody on this site A BIG THANK-YOU TO EVERYBODY!!
    Have told friends neighbours all about the site.
    Going for my Bank Charges now i know there on hold and Catalogue Administration Charges!!

BRING IT ON!! GET OUR MONEY BACK, BOOKING A HOLIDAY NOW!!

THANKS AGAIN MARTIN :money: action-smiley-033.gif

WEE TINK XX
  • Chika1
    Chika1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Provider: Monument
    Amount Reclaimed: £820 (inc interest)
    Amount they paid: £780
    The story:
    Sent 1st letter asking for list charges with £10 cheque
    Recieved list very quickly and £10 cheque returned
    Sent 1st request template asking for £820
    Recieved response offering £324
    Sent 2nd request template saying no will not accept, but wiling to accept £550
    Final response received from Monument apprx 8 weeks from 1st request (day after had filed ombudsman complaint!) offering £780 which i have accepted and am now awaiting payment!

Really pleased-must persevere and they will back down in the end.

Am now taking Capital one to Financial Ombudsman-they are not budging!:T
  • brunettegirl
    brunettegirl Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Provider Barclaycard
    Amount Reclaimed £324.00
    Amount they Paid £324.00
    Success!!
    I sent my first letter to Barclay card in the Middle of April, they put £54 back on to my card, which was the difference between £12 and £24 charges. I sent the second letter on the 30th April, saying thank you, but can I have the rest please. Checked my account today and they have refunded a further £298 so I go the full £324.00 in 4 weeks. Not bad for 2 first class stamps!
    I need to start saving so I plan to save £2 a week to start with:beer:
  • sailingbuyers1
    Options
    Provider Egg
    Amount Reclaimed 97.37
    Amount they paid97.37
    Whole process took about two months and three letters.
    Threatned court action and they paid up.
    a big thank you to you all for this idea.
    Regards
    chris
  • Alison_Ottaway
    Options
    .....just got home from work ans there's another letter waiting for me - this time from Barclaycard. A refund of £264 back on to my account! Yippee!! Whole thing took just 7 days from sending off first letter!
    Many thanks MSE!:j
    Successes so far::j
    Halifax Credit Card Charges £144, Barclaycard Credit Card Charges £264, Welcome Finance PPI £675.80, MBNA Credit Card Charges £218, Capital One PPI £48
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure