Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Options

Comments

• korky69
    Options
    1 - What we know is that many thousands of people have found they cannot simply rely on a booking with Ryanair any more. That's quite a serious problem for a firm that receives most of it's business receipts from on-line bookings.
    2 - This has been in many newspapers and on various TV news channels.
    3 - All the people affected will have told everyone they know about this.
    I do not see how this company can possibly continue as a major airline without enormous and drastic action from their publicity and marketing department, together with major re-structuring of it's management and administration operations. I think it will be an up-hill struggle. I see collateral damage in the short term to airports and staff at Stanstead and Luton perhaps, also with the agencies that depend upon Ryanair. I also predict damage to all the business that supply Ryanair, and especially to Ryanair employees. So, I don't think it ends with just the passengers who have been let down so badly, I think it will impact on thousands of other people as well.

From the point of view of my family and friends, who have discussed this situation, we have all vowed -
    (a) To ensure that none of us ever book with Ryanair again, because we cannot know for sure that the booking will be honoured, whatever Mr O'Leary might say to the contrary - and I'm not sure too many people completely trust his word at the moment either.
    (b) When booking trips for breaks and holidays, we will all now make sure the trip does not use Ryanair.
    And that's just one family, not because we don't like Ryanair, simply because we can longer trust the brand.
    It is such a shame that so massive a company should find itself managing it's staff operations so incompetently and I hope it isn't simply because of a cost-saving culture that won't spend adequately on the things that matter, eg., administration and management. This morning, 18th September 2017, the share price is continuing to fall and I would think that the best thing for the air and travel industry is for this firm to be bought out by a large competent organisation that can start over, and recover the brand.

i've flown ryanair probably 95% of my holidays, most without issues but whilst i can't say never again, a £30/£40 more expensive difference in price may probably sway me from now on, luckily my flights are ok but not without a few sweats
    they have handled this appalling, i did actually price up a same day flight outbound and i could have got it cheaper with norwegian!
    most will still use if cheaper, that's a fact
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2017 at 6:18AM
    Options
    Full list of cancelled flights (link open documents showing dates to 28th of October)
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/travel-updates/flight-cancellations7
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • For what it's worth €25million compo is a drop in the ocean for Ryanair.
    Its fundamental business model remains sound despite this latest hiccup.
    For those interested there are going to be some good deals to be had on Ryanair shares in the next week or two.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They're still lying through their teeth in telling people they can't rebook with other airlines and claim reimbursement from Ryanair - while pretending that they're behaving honourably in difficult circumstances.

It's a downright lie just to minimise their compensation costs.

Still, it's helping them cover over the recent story about one of their planes having to make an emergency landing at East Midlands Airport when it lost one of its wheels!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41282382

You do wonder, don't you, whether cost cutting and corner cutting played a part in that.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 September 2017 at 8:30AM
    Options
    ....fundamental business model remains sound despite this latest hiccup....

Nope, it's now clearly apparent that it's unsound:

1 Pilots don't want to fly for them, so there'll always be pilot crewing problems, Ryanair can't roster adequately for pilot holidays, sickness and standby, this means

2 Cancellations, they're here to stay, "it could be you" next, with consequential multiple breaches of

3 Article 8 of EU reg 261:2004, passengers won't get monies without a fight and there will be disallowed costs resulting in more

4 Travel Insurance claims and this may mean higher premiums and/ or if you were on a Ryanair flight, exclusions in the small print or higher excesses. Who wants to pay a higher travel insurance premium for a Ryanair flight.

5 There are too many risks travelling Ryanair that are now more generally well known which means their 'cheap' USP is no longer a selling point, resulting in lower revenues.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    They're still lying through their teeth in telling people they can't rebook with other airlines and claim reimbursement from Ryanair - while pretending that they're behaving honourably in difficult circumstances.

It's a downright lie just to minimise their compensation costs.

Still, it's helping them cover over the recent story about one of their planes having to make an emergency landing at East Midlands Airport when it lost one of its wheels!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41282382

You do wonder, don't you, whether cost cutting and corner cutting played a part in that.

Do you honestly think they would deliberately risk a multi million pound plane and all the people on board,i do not think so.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    [/B][/U]
    Do you honestly think they would deliberately risk a multi million pound plane and all the people on board,i do not think so.

Deliberately, no. As a result of cost-cutting negligence, yes.

Ryanair cuts all its costs to the bone, which is why it's losing pilots and why this fiasco's been created in the first place. It didn't intend this to happen, just as it didn't intend this plane to lose a wheel on take-off.

Sometimes, though, there are unintended consequences. Like cancelled flights, a huge PR disaster, and wheels falling off its aircraft.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you remember a few years ago when they just axed a whole lot of winter schedules just because the ticket sales weren't going well?
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Do you remember a few years ago when they just axed a whole lot of winter schedules just because the ticket sales weren't going well?

Of course people don't - as soon as a low fare is waved in front of their faces from their local airport they'll forget about this latest 'issue'
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »

I don't think they were short notice cancellations.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure