Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Deliberately, no. As a result of cost-cutting negligence, yes.

Ryanair cuts all its costs to the bone, which is why it's losing pilots and why this fiasco's been created in the first place. It didn't intend this to happen, just as it didn't intend this plane to lose a wheel on take-off.

Sometimes, though, there are unintended consequences. Like cancelled flights, a huge PR disaster, and wheels falling off its aircraft.

Ryanair as far as i know has a great safety record so not cutting back in that dept.As other have said people will still use them after this trouble is over because they are cheap and people vote with their wallets.The people on here who say that they will not fly with them again are deluded if they think it will make any difference to their business model,they will go on making loads of money.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In a year Norwegian Air will have become more established in the UK. I see lots of tenners to be saved. Ryanair use price to eliminate competition there appears to be a rival that understands the game, Ryanair carry circa 50 million to and from UK airports, out of their total of 126 million. I travel Flybe, Monarch, Thomson & Jet2 as well as Ryanair and will gladly add Norwegian to that list Easyjet abandoned my UK airport of choice and are not on my preferred list of carriers. Oh and I will remember.

I'd hold back on your faith in Norwegian, they're expanding their long haul experiment in the U.K., but they are running scared from the UK regions in short haul!
  • richardw wrote: »
    Nope, it's now clearly apparent that it's unsound:

1 Pilots don't want to fly for them, so there'll always be pilot crewing problems, Ryanair can't roster adequately for pilot holidays, sickness and standby, this means

2 Cancellations, they're here to stay, "it could be you" next, with consequential multiple breaches of

3 Article 8 of EU reg 261:2004, passengers won't get monies without a fight and there will be disallowed costs resulting in more

4 Travel Insurance claims and this may mean higher premiums and/ or if you were on a Ryanair flight, exclusions in the small print or higher excesses. Who wants to pay a higher travel insurance premium for a Ryanair flight.

5 There are too many risks travelling Ryanair that are now more generally well known which means their 'cheap' USP is no longer a selling point, resulting in lower revenues.

Ryanair share price around the level it was at the end of June but still massively up on this time last year.
    Investors and those analysts with knowledge of the business model are fairly sanguine about a recovery.
    I wouldn't start jumping on Michael O'Leary's grave just yet.
    Buy.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ryanair share price around the level it was at the end of June but still massively up on this time last year....

That's because the business has grown since this time last year, so you'd expect share price increases.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Of course people don't - as soon as a low fare is waved in front of their faces from their local airport they'll forget about this latest 'issue'

I'm sure you're right. But it will mean that Ryanair has to continue to offer low prices as I think if given an option at similar costs people would not choose Ryanair because trust has been eroded.

Fortunately my flight in November is unlikely to become a regular occurrence as we avoid Stansted whenever possible. From where we are the M25 can add hours to journey time at the wrong part of the day.
  • richardw wrote: »
    That's because the business has grown since this time last year, so you'd expect share price increases.

Precisely.
    That's why I wrote that Ryanair has a sound business model.
    This latest snafu might have a short-term effect but for all those with disrupted plans there are hundreds of thousands more people flying perfectly normally.
    Share price is currently down €0.27 on yesterday.Less than the price of a stamp.
    Ryanair is a great long-term punt.
  • richardw
    edited 20 September 2017 at 3:25PM
    Options
    ...This latest snafu might have a short-term effect ...

It won't, it's done permanent long term irrepairable damage and is probably just as bad as what happened to ValuJet.

Landor and similar are probably ready with something, for when the call comes.

Ryanair's in for a tough poor revenue winter and beyond.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    It won't, it's done permanent long term irrepairable damage and is probably just as bad as what happened to ValuJet.

Landor and similar are probably ready with something, for when the call comes.

Ryanair's in for a tough poor revenue winter and beyond.

Ryanair has a news story at least annually, usually more, that people predict will cause long term damage.

Each year Ryanair continues to report greater profits and/ or an ever increasing customer base and route network.

They'll still be doing exactly what they always do (providing low cost, safe flights with the occasional bit of controversy) in a year's time.
  • IAmWales wrote: »
    Ryanair has a news story at least annually, usually more, that people predict will cause long term damage.

Each year Ryanair continues to report greater profits and/ or an ever increasing customer base and route network.

They'll still be doing exactly what they always do (providing low cost, safe flights with the occasional bit of controversy) in a year's time.

Precisely.
    Ryanair carry 131 MILLION passengers a year on 2000 flight s a day.The vast majority of those people couldn't give a toss about a few flights being cancelled.
    It's obviously big news to those people whose travel plans have been disrupted but you've only got to look at the share price to see how little major investors think this blip will affect Ryanair's long-term performance.
  • richardw
    edited 20 September 2017 at 7:36PM
    Options
    This situation is the worst ever for Ryanair and others are insignificant.

Ryanair has aircraft on order and yes it'll grow, but if it reaches forecast revenues is anyone's guess.
    IAmWales wrote: »
    .....They'll still be doing exactly what they always do (providing .... safe flights.....)

Ryanair is now not safe enough for me, it has pilots who appear to dislike flying for it and appear to work to the limits of flight hours, a boss who sticks two fingers up to EU regulation EC 261:2004, has people not sitting together causing pre-flight cabin chaos, too many bags in the cabin that may slow an on the ground evacuation in emergency.

It appears the pilots want their time off https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/20/more-ryanair-cancellations-likely-as-pilots-reject-offer-to-work-on-days-off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure