Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Options

Comments

• Doshwaster wrote: »
    Just wait until the UK leave the EU and Ryanair cancels all flights from the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/11/ryanair-chief-michael-oleary-discuss-brexit-effect-aviation/

Perhaps if Michael O'Leary spent more time running his airline than attempting to block Brexit it might not be experiencing its current woes.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do locum pilots exist?

Most of Ryanair's pilots are already contractors!
  • 1 - What we know is that many thousands of people have found they cannot simply rely on a booking with Ryanair any more. That's quite a serious problem for a firm that receives most of it's business receipts from on-line bookings.
    2 - This has been in many newspapers and on various TV news channels.
    3 - All the people affected will have told everyone they know about this.
    I do not see how this company can possibly continue as a major airline without enormous and drastic action from their publicity and marketing department, together with major re-structuring of it's management and administration operations. I think it will be an up-hill struggle. I see collateral damage in the short term to airports and staff at Stanstead and Luton perhaps, also with the agencies that depend upon Ryanair. I also predict damage to all the business that supply Ryanair, and especially to Ryanair employees. So, I don't think it ends with just the passengers who have been let down so badly, I think it will impact on thousands of other people as well.

From the point of view of my family and friends, who have discussed this situation, we have all vowed -
    (a) To ensure that none of us ever book with Ryanair again, because we cannot know for sure that the booking will be honoured, whatever Mr O'Leary might say to the contrary - and I'm not sure too many people completely trust his word at the moment either.
    (b) When booking trips for breaks and holidays, we will all now make sure the trip does not use Ryanair.
    And that's just one family, not because we don't like Ryanair, simply because we can longer trust the brand.
    It is such a shame that so massive a company should find itself managing it's staff operations so incompetently and I hope it isn't simply because of a cost-saving culture that won't spend adequately on the things that matter, eg., administration and management. This morning, 18th September 2017, the share price is continuing to fall and I would think that the best thing for the air and travel industry is for this firm to be bought out by a large competent organisation that can start over, and recover the brand.
  • mikeeboy
    Options
    Can't see any lasting damage personally.

People can't resist a cheap flight.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    mikeeboy wrote: »
    Can't see any lasting damage personally.

People can't resist a cheap flight.

Gerald Ratner probable thought that people couldn't resist cheap jewellery when he made his remark stating that one of the products sold in his stores was "total crap" and look what happened afterwards.

Yes, people like a bargain but what many people don't like is being treated with contempt by businesses who think that they can say and do as they wish to their customers and potential customers.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    Ryanair have announced that they will release details of all cancelled flights for the next 6 weeks on their website tonight. They appear to have woken up to the fact that paying 250 Euros to hundreds of thousands of people who get less than 14 days notice of the cancellation is a big financial mistake. They claim most will be able to travel the following day, but if their flights are normally 90% full and each has 189 seats, just where do these spare seats come from?
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Will all be forgotten about when it settles down, and everyone affected has been compo'd.

Ryanair flies everywhere. Others don't.

Ryanair will survive. I have no affiliation, and they did screw up here, but there doesn't seem to be the same annoyance about this as there was with the buying of seats to sit next to your loved one at £2 a go now is there?

Compo compo.

Take a bet. Buy a flight for £20 quid that is on the list for cancellation. If they don't re route you within two weeks, compo compo.

Anyway, as I said, they have weathered many a storm.

Without them what happens? Yep you guessed it. Higher costs from everyone else. Captive market.

I'm going away Wednesday with them. So far flight not cancelled. If it is, I don't care. Have credit card, travel insurance, and an eye on Regulation EU261!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    1 - What we know is that many thousands of people have found they cannot simply rely on a booking with Ryanair any more.

Oh please, in a year nobody will remember and people will use them again because they can save a tenner.
  • Sarahjovi
    Sarahjovi Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hopefully a list of all Canellations to be Published over next 24 hours!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41311603
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Will all be forgotten about when it settles down, and everyone affected has been compo'd.

Ryanair flies everywhere. Others don't.

Ryanair will survive. I have no affiliation, and they did screw up here, but there doesn't seem to be the same annoyance about this as there was with the buying of seats to sit next to your loved one at £2 a go now is there?

Compo compo.

Take a bet. Buy a flight for £20 quid that is on the list for cancellation. If they don't re route you within two weeks, compo compo.

Anyway, as I said, they have weathered many a storm.

Without them what happens? Yep you guessed it. Higher costs from everyone else. Captive market.

I'm going away Wednesday with them. So far flight not cancelled. If it is, I don't care. Have credit card, travel insurance, and an eye on Regulation EU261!
    Compensation if you send in proof of the alternative flight/s you took after your Ryanair 'chancer' ticket was cancelled!

And anyone hoping for compo for hotel/lost earnings/complicated re-routing on public transport - the very best of luck with that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure