Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Ooh aren't you the literal one.

I meant spending money for their holiday which you probably realised but you just couldn't help making a stupid comment.

They wouldn't take Aldi bargain bin stuff anyway, Dia is cheaper

You obviously like spending money like water. My wife and I never spend more than €500 during our 10 day holiday in Spain

I don't think the comments are about how much you choose to spend on holiday. It's more about having a fall back position in case of emergency.

If you read this board, rarely a week goes by without someone posting about getting themselves into a mess because they haven't covered themselves. The most common is not buying insurance either early enough or at all.

It's your choice but it can be a hard lesson to learn.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this the new gamble? Buy a few £10 RyanAir tickets, hope 1 or 2 get cancelled and pocket the EU regulation compensation.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    We'll that will probably stop 90% of people who go on package holidays to Spain, Portugal etc.

I think you ought to join the real world of the budget traveller/ holidaymaker who can probably only scrape together a couple of hundred euros of spending money after paying for the holiday which they've been saving up for for months.

I think that 90% is just a number you have plucked out of the air to make your point,i speak to a lot of people on holiday and you will be suprised at the number of holidays some people take each year.
    £200 as others have stated is not alot to allow yourself for emergencies whilst abroad.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    I think that 90% is just a number you have plucked out of the air to make your point,i speak to a lot of people on holiday and you will be suprised at the number of holidays some people take each year.
    £200 as others have stated is not alot to allow yourself for emergencies whilst abroad.

That's why a credit card is the most important travel item after a passport. If something does go wrong - and if you travel a lot then it is guaranteed to sooner or later - then you can immediately sort out a hotel, a meal or alternative transportation and then worry about the insurance claim or paying for it later.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2017 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Stuff them. I just vote with my feet. I dont care if they swim or sink.

How can you book anything with a company who behaves like that.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2017 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Let's remind ourselves about EU reg 261:2004 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:en:HTML

Article 8 says

"Right to ..... re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered ....

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; ..."

So it's clear that passengers should be offered re-routing.

Simon Calder has said "The rules say if the airline doesn't have a suitable alternative flight, you have to be booked on a rival airline,"

So it appears Ryanair may not be doing what the EU reg says it shall/should, what's the remedy for this?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Doshwaster
    Options
    Just wait until the UK leave the EU and Ryanair cancels all flights from the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/11/ryanair-chief-michael-oleary-discuss-brexit-effect-aviation/
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Just wait until the UK leave the EU and Ryanair cancels all flights from the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/11/ryanair-chief-michael-oleary-discuss-brexit-effect-aviation/

Ohh well...........life goes on.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Malcnascar wrote: »

Ryanair corporate lying is corporate suicide, lie to me and I vote with my feet.

Fortunately my flights aren't until mid November. I'm hoping they'll decide they'd rather not commit suicide before then.

I'm wondering if they can manage to hold customers by the short and curlies for 6 weeks without offering refunds. If they were to do that it's likely that loads of customers would cancel so they'd have even more unfilled planes.

Do locum pilots exist? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport