Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lufthansa cancelled many more flights last year because of strikes, are anymore really actively avoiding them now because of it? Perhaps it's the worst ever for Ryanair but it's hard to imagine people remembering (or perhaps more importantly, caring) in a year.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Of course people don't - as soon as a low fare is waved in front of their faces from their local airport they'll forget about this latest 'issue'

Actually no, not everyone will.

As a frequent business traveller I can't afford short notice cancellations like this. There's no way I would book a Ryan Air flight again unless there is absolutely no feasible alternative.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Actually no, not everyone will.

As a frequent business traveller I can't afford short notice cancellations like this. There's no way I would book a Ryan Air flight again unless there is absolutely no feasible alternative.

Out of their 100m+ PAX I suspect you'll be in the minority - I too use them for business and haven't found them to be any worse than any of the other airlines with their costings often allowing me to have a 'spare' flight for less than the cost of a full service carrier.

So long as they continue to focus on the mainstream routes and cancel some of the more obscure (e.g. Porto - St Etienne) they're not likely to be causing too much disruption to their core market.

I may be wrong but I'd expect this time next year few (other than those whose family holidays are disrupted) will remember much of this
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just in case anyone's missed it:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/09/ryanair-agrees-to-put-passengers-on-other-airlines-

........The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has stepped in after Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary said the budget carrier would not pay for passengers to take flights on other airlines, stating that that was not required under EU flight delay law. This comes amid widespread disruption caused by Ryanair cancelling thousands of flights.

The CAA wrote directly to O'Leary on Monday and says it has confirmation Ryanair will use other airlines to help those affected, if required. The regulator has promised to "closely monitor" the situation, and will consider enforcement action if the airline does not comply.......

Cheating, lying, prevaricating, dishonest to a fault - that's Ryanair. Trying to pretend they're facing up to all their responsibilities, when in reality they're doing anything but.

No wonder their pilots don't want to work for them any more.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Options
    Surprised it’s taken others so long....

DKO9juLXoAEXoVz?format=jpg
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    Excuse but haven't read every message in what is becoming a long discussion.

Very often the thing that never reaches the public is the real truth.

My search for the real truth reveals that Ryanair are short of crew and have difficulty recruiting and retaining due to low end industry terms and conditions. They also seem to retain their pilots/ first officers as self employed individuals.

All this has led to a perfect storm of a core of pilots/FOs in insufficient numbers all wanting to use up their annual eave to suit their choice and lifestyle (heaven forbid !).

Meanwhile Mike of Leary is trying to stop them taking their hols ,discouraging union membership and other possible unsavoury activities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ryanair-captain-was-unfit-to-fly-investigation-finds-1.786317
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Options
    It's not helped by the fact that he's described his pilots as 'glorified taxi drivers' and 'well paid for doing an easy job'. No surprise that pilots are voting with their feet.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    It's not helped by the fact that he's described his pilots as 'glorified taxi drivers' and 'well paid for doing an easy job'. No surprise that pilots are voting with their feet.

I watched a program the other week about Easyjet and how they were training new pilots,i know i could not do it but when you see a spotty faced 18 year old ( well thats what he looked like ) take off,flying and landing the plane ( ok he was supervised ) and in fareness he sat in the seat and talked to the camera and co pilot for most of the flight,it is not the seat of your pants flying that it was years ago.
    They even said the plane could take off and land itself thru instrumentation.
    So well paid taxi drivers? not far off.:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    I watched a program the other week about Easyjet and how they were training new pilots,i know i could not do it but when you see a spotty faced 18 year old ( well thats what he looked like ) take off,flying and landing the plane ( ok he was supervised ) and in fareness he sat in the seat and talked to the camera and co pilot for most of the flight,it is not the seat of your pants flying that it was years ago.
    They even said the plane could take off and land itself thru instrumentation.
    So well paid taxi drivers? not far off.:rotfl:

There's relatively few barriers, it doesn't require especially high intelligence levels, hours are necessarily restricted so not too difficult but a fair bit of responsibility.

The barriers are the high cost of training and time involved in doing so.

I can see the analogy with taxi driving but unfortunately for mr. O'leary the laws of supply and demand would suggest it's not as easy finding qualified and experienced pilots to handle a multi million dollar aircraft as all that.

A bit similar to train drivers, though as a pilot they do have more than one handle to control at any one time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure