🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Amazon of course :)

yes but i'm not speaking to them.

HHOD My smelly trap came from Boyes at £3 (which is a midlands/north woolworths type shop) but it wasn't doing anything much so I went to Wilkos and bought £4.50 moth spray (works) and some cardboard things - 12 for £3 - that have been distributed round the house. I also put some peppermint oil in DS2s BR for its spider repelling properties but also as an anti smelly teenager measure. Once the house is empty in the morning I am spraying any moths I find. Big reduction already.

Out to look at blinds this morning, I didn't like the ones I had in mind (too gold) but bought some teal taffeta ones to try. Not mould repellent but pretty. Worth a look if you have a Dunelm - I saw blinds down to £2, cream lampshade for £2 and single brushed cotton duvet covers for £4. I bought a lined damask patterned roman blind reduced from £45 to £12 which is perfect for one of the corridor windows to replace the hideous floral sanderson things kindly donated by MIL about ten years ago. So ugly I have gone blind to them now.

Very windy here, poor fluffy cat doesn't know if he is going backwards or forwards. The others are happily chasing leaves though so not all bad.

Right, spends:
    Dunelm - blackout roller blinds - 1 X£2 (90cm beige), 1 x£4 (90cm ochre), 1x £6 (90cm olive), 1 x £12 (90cm teal), 1 x £12 (roman) , 1 x £16 (120cm teal). May keep them all, but if he doesn't like the teal ones then its £6 for a 120cm ochre that would work. I'm only going to fit the two front windows with blinds in the kitchen as the other two have never been shut so will simply remove the tired ones. Most of the upstairs windows are 90cm so always useful anyway but specifically need to replace the broken one in the spare bedroom.
    B00ts - found a gift card in one of the rubbish bags from SSs room, checked and it has £10 on, hurrah. Shamelessly stole it, and selfishly frittered it on bits for me seeing as he ignored my birthday: Nip & Fab face pads, cuticle pusher and ibuprofen purchased. They also gave me a £5 off No7 voucher and I have £4 in points - was tempted by the hand scrub. Has anyone tried it? .
    Asdar - 4 x 50p small kingsmill 50/50 loaves - must be a loss leader but I get them if I am passing. RTC mushrooms and blueberries, £2 on 5 for £1 sweets for the boys snack boxes. Is it just me who still thinks sweets are 20p? Can't even get a Freddo for that apparently. Used to be enough for a quarter of yorkshire mix. :o
    MnSpensive - cheese straws. Adored by the boy who doesn't eat. 2 for £2.

C0-op voucher time. £8. Am v embarrassed that I have again spent that much in the co-op over the last six months. Not as bad as the time it was £22 though....
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I love old houses despite certain inconveniences because they have character. Older houses tend to be solidly built, have bigger windows, higher ceilings and larger rooms than new houses. I also love dados, picture rails and fireplaces :).

I agree with you about flowers and leaves. I prefer abstract, stripes or plain blinds/curtains. I really like wooden shutters and venetian blinds as they can't go mouldy and always look stylish imo. Although roller blinds look good too. I can't abide frilly, fussy curtains.

Ours certainly has character. And damp, and worlds greatest collection of spiders.

I don't like anything fussy - clean lines and solid colours for me for preference. I've had wooden blinds before though and hated cleaning them hence the roller blinds.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I just went upstairs on a moth hunt, pleased to say I only found one - in a boys laundry basket. DS2s room smells like polo mints but I can't see any spiders :j No new cobwebs either. I am sure they have just moved somewhere else but that is fine.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't like anything fussy - clean lines and solid colours for me for preference. I've had wooden blinds before though and hated cleaning them hence the roller blinds.

Same here - anything twee or fussy brings me out in a cold sweat!

Re. Wooden blinds - I have the large slatted type white wooden Venetian blinds in my kitchen and living room and smaller slatted white blinds in my bathroom - I find the best way of cleaning them is to shut them, take a Pledge fluffy retractable duster and dust them from side to side top to bottom. Saves all that trying to get between the slats!:)

You got some VERY good bargains on the blinds redo - I love Dunhelm - wish there was one near me - I have to go online.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hmmm I must visit Wilkos for moth supplies. You got some great bargains for your blinds Redo :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have read the last few pages of your diary. The microwave wasn't a good thing to happen, hope you get your money back ASAP. I

I went in Dunelm this weekend and bought a few things in the sale. They had Orly Kiely bedding in for about a quarter of the original price . I had it in my hand but decided it was a want not a need. The blinds sound a good colour.

As for the cleaning , I do mine all in one go but there is only me living here so it's easy to do. I think flylady is best approach .

My flat doesn't seem to get moths , but there have been a few spiders recently.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I was tempted by a few bits Cumbria but I've stuck with just the blinds that we do need. I do have a small pot for the house bits but I want to invest it in needed things.

OH and DS2 (the arty ones) liked the ochre one (£4) best for the kitchen, and the neutral one (£2) for the spare room so the plan is to return the olive one and the teal ones, and hope they still have the long ochre (£6) one tomorrow. Its out of stock online, and for click and collect but then it was this morning too and they had one. If it has gone then I will return the ochre one, the olive one and maybe the teal ones and keep looking. Hope they have it as then it'll have been £12 for the three needed blinds.

Prolific is on a bit of a roll for me - £20 worth in the last few days. Also a SB voucher ordered by DS1, and about to order one for me. Probably should swap to M&S vouchers for uniforms now.

Amzn did refund the voucher element back to my account promptly. I still have a dead microwave on my patio, complete with fat cat snoring on top.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You did well with paint :)

The blinds are amazing value...well done :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I still have a dead microwave on my patio, complete with fat cat snoring on top.

Evidence points to the fat cat... they clearly missed having a dead microwave on the patio :D
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hope you get the other ochre blind redo.

Have to agree with greenbee about fat cat though.........:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income