PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,817 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi @Land_Registry,

I just wanted to see if you were able to confirm (or re-confirm) something. On your title search facility, am I correct in thinking if it says: 

‘No information held for 
    ADDRESS’

It means that the property is unregistered and if it says 

‘we cannot show you information for 
    ADDRESS 
    This is a new service etc’ 

then it means that a first registration is under way but stuck in the backlog waiting to be completed or expedited? 

The property also doesn’t allow for an alert to be set up on your property alert service. 

Would it be possible to get details about a specific property’s status if I was to get in touch with a memo of sale or is that info only available to the conveyancers? Thanks in advance! 
    Broadly correct although the first result doesn’t guarantee it’s unregistered. Sometimes, albeit rarely, the searched address doesn’t match the registered information. So always a good idea to try the search by map option as well just in case that provides a match. 
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Options

Would freehold with estate rent charge be specifically stated on the land registry of a property, or could it be named as freehold with rent charge?

I am currently buying a house that says it is freehold rent charge, but have been advised to ask sellers to get an estate rent charge insurance indemnity policy to satisfy lenders. This has left me confused as to which type of rent charge the property has.

Many thanks

You can have both. Rent charges can be registered in their own right or just noted on an affected title. Best ask your legal rep to clarify and to explain what the indemnity policy is covering you for 
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Millsandovis
    Millsandovis Posts: 84 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi @Land_Registry,

I just wanted to see if you were able to confirm (or re-confirm) something. On your title search facility, am I correct in thinking if it says: 

‘No information held for 
    ADDRESS’

It means that the property is unregistered and if it says 

‘we cannot show you information for 
    ADDRESS 
    This is a new service etc’ 

then it means that a first registration is under way but stuck in the backlog waiting to be completed or expedited? 

The property also doesn’t allow for an alert to be set up on your property alert service. 

Would it be possible to get details about a specific property’s status if I was to get in touch with a memo of sale or is that info only available to the conveyancers? Thanks in advance! 
    Broadly correct although the first result doesn’t guarantee it’s unregistered. Sometimes, albeit rarely, the searched address doesn’t match the registered information. So always a good idea to try the search by map option as well just in case that provides a match. 
    Thanks as ever for the quick reply. I’ve looked on the map search and it does seem to be unregistered, the properties around it all have title numbers apart from the one I want! I have got in touch via that link to see if there’s an application pending! 

Thanks again! 
  • HeyAnon123
    HeyAnon123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Would freehold with estate rent charge be specifically stated on the land registry of a property, or could it be named as freehold with rent charge?

I am currently buying a house that says it is freehold rent charge, but have been advised to ask sellers to get an estate rent charge insurance indemnity policy to satisfy lenders. This has left me confused as to which type of rent charge the property has.

Many thanks

Thankyou for your response. Would it specifically say 'estate rent charge' on the land registry if that was the case?
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May at 7:39PM
    Options
    Hi @Land_Registry
    I hope you can help clarify this for me.

My parents owned their house outright, split the beneficial ownership 50/50, and each transferred their 50% into a Trust. My mother's trust has now been wound up, with the ownership of that 50% being transferred back to her absolutely. The remaining 50% remains in the other trust.

The solicitors say that the TR1 has been lodged, but I suspect that it is in the backlog for it to be updated on the Register.

Do you know whether the Register has to be updated before the transfer is complete, or is the transfer complete upon signing / lodging of the TR1 (and therefore unaffected by how long it takes for LR to process the paperwork)? Solicitors failed to answer this question when I rang them earlier, simply saying that they had done their bit! (We need to be able to state the ownership correctly when applying for buildings insurance).

Thanks.
  • Land_Registry
    Options

Many thanks

Thankyou for your response. Would it specifically say 'estate rent charge' on the land registry if that was the case?
    Yes - the rentcharge register would describe it as such. A rentcharge is a rentcharge and often referred to as an estate rentcharge. It wouldn’t be referred to normally as a freehold rentcharge. So I thinks it’s just a mix of terminology and you’d need to check what’s actually registered and go from there. The registered information is your start point. Not the suggested policy/terminology 
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Yorkie1 said:
    Hi @Land_Registry
    I hope you can help clarify this for me.

My parents owned their house outright, split the beneficial ownership 50/50, and each transferred their 50% into a Trust. My mother's trust has now been wound up, with the ownership of that 50% being transferred back to her absolutely. The remaining 50% remains in the other trust.

The solicitors say that the TR1 has been lodged, but I suspect that it is in the backlog for it to be updated on the Register.

Do you know whether the Register has to be updated before the transfer is complete, or is the transfer complete upon signing / lodging of the TR1 (and therefore unaffected by how long it takes for LR to process the paperwork)? Solicitors failed to answer this question when I rang them earlier, simply saying that they had done their bit! (We need to be able to state the ownership correctly when applying for buildings insurance).

Thanks.
    If the application has been submitted then the transfer/change of ownership is protected. How long it then waits rarely impacts unless there’s say an onward sale or remortgage for example. 
    You’d state the ownership as it is from the transfer date onwards in my experience 
  • Locohoco84
    Locohoco84 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi @Land_Registry

We just need some help/clarification on the following:

Myself and my 2 siblings are all executors of my late Mum's will and have all been granted probate (we are all named on it).

The main family home (which was solely in Mum's name) is being transferred directly to my sister. 

We're following what's written here in order to do this: https://www.gov.uk/update-property-records-someone-dies?step-by-step-nav=4f1fe77d-f43b-4581-baf9-e2600e2a2b7a.

We're filling in forms AP1 and AS1 and also including a copy of the grant of probate and the correct fee in our application. However we aren't sure if all 3 of us (the executors) need to also fill in ID1, or if it's just the beneficiary (my sister). Please can you clarify this for us?
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @Land_Registry - how long should I wait before making enquiries as to the progress of my registration? It was a fairly normal purchase I believe, and I also believe that my conveyancing solicitor is very competent and does things properly.

As I'm not comfortable with typing my title number here in public, if I phone the LR will I get responses/answers as (very) useful as the ones you post here? 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 May at 5:26PM
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    @Land_Registry - how long should I wait before making enquiries as to the progress of my registration? It was a fairly normal purchase I believe, and I also believe that my conveyancing solicitor is very competent and does things properly.

As I'm not comfortable with typing my title number here in public, if I phone the LR will I get responses/answers as (very) useful as the ones you post here? 
    If you feel comfortable doing so, you can DM @Land_Registry privately rather than post on here.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback