KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 20 July 2017 at 1:10PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.2K replies 273.1K views

Replies

• noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It just occurred to me that I also have a library membership in the adjoining local authority area. I haven't used it for ages and, needless to say, I can't find my ticket!

I've applied for a new ticket but they don't have any copies of the book, either hard copies or e books, currently available. I think I'm just going to buy it!
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • Icey77Icey77 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    noelphobic wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that I also have a library membership in the adjoining local authority area. I haven't used it for ages and, needless to say, I can't find my ticket!

I've applied for a new ticket but they don't have any copies of the book, either hard copies or e books, currently available. I think I'm just going to buy it!

If you have an Oxfam bookshop near you try there, you can put in requests so if & when a particular book comes in they will call you. Oxfam is a little more expensive than other charity bookshops but you'll still be buying it second hand and and a lesser price than a ne one.
    My copy turned up about 2 weeks after I put in a request :D
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • greentgreent Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    No actual KM-ing going on here today - but I have been listing previously KM-d things on fleabay, so hopefully some of these will soon be leaving the house :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £426.84/ £500 Decluttering 2021: 1100/1250
  • CallistoCallisto Forumite
    928 Posts
    Been through my box of paperwork and reduced by almost half - some to recycling and a carrier bag full to be burned. Still need to implement a proper filing system.

Checked the understairs cupboard for car boot items and ended up dragging everything out. Moved the books from the small bookcase to join their brethren on the larger bookcase, and have now put the small bookcase under the stairs. The shelves are currently holding car shampoo/antifreeze/deicer, vacuum bags and attachments, garden waste bags and a plastic dog 'buster collar'. Feeling quite pleased with this as I was going to get rid of the small bookcase, as it was in the way.

Also found several pairs of shoes which have gone in car boot box, and two black sacks of clothes I have been meaning to sell for ages. I've put some into car boot boxes and one black sack of clothes to go to charity shop tomorrow, along with a few CDs. Would rather have some of the space back, and the thought of having to photograph and list all of these on [email protected] made me feel miserable, so will set some free tomorrow!

There probably won't be much more progress until after the weekend now. I do need to go up into the loft on Saturday as I'm sure there is yet more china up there that can go to car boot on Sunday. Really hoping weekend weather will be ok, as I need to go to this sale, the stuff upstairs is starting to really annoy me now!
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is well
    Sorrry to hear about the potato blight gq
    Plan on doing the mending pile today- there are only a few bits on it.
    Started another CS bag,
    Ds went to a festival over the weekend so I have his muddy stuff to wash but while he was away I tidied his room do he has two bags of heat I think is rubbish to go through and I noticed some clothes we too small so his task today is to sort his clothes and go through the bags, if it's rubbish or didn't fit ihe can clear that out to either be binned or CSed
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaz and Polly I'm in your neck of the woods next week if you are free or in the area again and want to meet up for a coffee?
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GoingToDoItGoingToDoIt Forumite
    491 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Hello new kondonistas! Hi everyone on the new thread *waves*
    I've done very little Kondo lately as have been very social etc.
    Over a year ago I hung up a cloth tote bag in my wardrobe, on a hanger, which came free with a purchase and I don't like and wouldn't have used. I dump any clean items in there once they are past their best. It's flipping full again! It fills up pretty fast considering it's just pants and tights. Time to empty it to the clothes bank at the mosque. How much was I chucking out rather than recycling in past times if I can fill a bag every 3 months!?!?
    I do recall at the start of kondoing that it was quite a big job getting the categories out, sorting them etc but at the same time it brings such instant benefits. I took a day to do the kitchen (is only small!!) yet after rearranging I loved it right away and it's still the same a year on, so much easier to use.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sent DH to the bottle bank to Kondo our box of bottles (not all alcoholic!) Sunny day here so I've pruned the raspberry, loganberry and blackberry canes and the gooseberry. All prunings cleared away and the beds weeded. Need to check with my neighbours as to who wants some apples as there is far too much for us. Rain forecast for tomorrow so will clear the dining room cabinet & maybe do a spot of baking.
    Have a good evening all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Sj62Sj62 Forumite
    56 Posts
    I got the Kindle version last year and make great strides forward with clothes and books. Then the builders came in and that was the end of the enthusiasm. Anyway they're finally finished and I'm slowly getting back my energy levels. So on Saturday I dropped off some bags at the local Sally Army shop. And there on the counter was a brand new hardback copy of the book. For 99p as well. So money saving as well as Kondoing. Since then I've tackled so much, including kimono and sentimental stuff. It won't be the last round I'm sure but it was great to get such a boost at just the right time!
  • MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sj62 wrote: »
    I got the Kindle version last year and make great strides forward with clothes and books. Then the builders came in and that was the end of the enthusiasm. Anyway they're finally finished and I'm slowly getting back my energy levels. So on Saturday I dropped off some bags at the local Sally Army shop. And there on the counter was a brand new hardback copy of the book. For 99p as well. So money saving as well as Kondoing. Since then I've tackled so much, including kimono and sentimental stuff. It won't be the last round I'm sure but it was great to get such a boost at just the right time!

Oh well done, Sj62 :T
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides