edited 20 July 2017 at 1:10PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.2K replies 273.1K views

Replies

• noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.gq.com/story/marie-kondo-purge-diary

This had a different ending than I expected!

Another bit of googling told me what she suggests doing with photos, and I love the idea -- would need to do a lot more decluttering in order to have the floorspace to do it though.

I'm also not convinced that you need to start with clothes - I'm definitely less sentimentally attached to the contents of my kitchen than I am to my clothes. I genuinely couldn't cope with putting ALL of my clothes in a pile and sorting from there. The ceiling would probably collapse!

I have previously gone through some of my clothes by type. It hasn't always meant I've got through as many as I should but I think it's discouraged me from buying more of the same.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    fpcat wrote: »
    You don't return it, it just stays on your ticket until the end of the loan period, and then it disappears and you can no longer access or read it. It's annoying when you haven't quite finished it, or when you have finished it early but you can't choose another until that loan period runs out. Still it's free, and there is a good choice of books. You can choose something you wouldn't normally read and know that you haven't spent good money if you don't like it. I use the library and their digital services, but I love real books. I buy from CS, Eby, borrow from friends, and reread many titles several times. Which reminds me I must do books again!

I think my library allows you to borrow up to three at a time and you can return them early but I'm totally confused by the whole thing!

I know for 'real' books the library have set me up so that I can have an extended loan period. I think this is technically for people who care for a family member or friend. I don't (although I have in the past) but do sometimes borrow memory boxes, which I use for work.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Friday the chap came and cleaned my engine. He recommended I put redex in it every 4k miles to help keep it clean. He said it may need cleaning again in another 6 months or so, but so far so good.

Today I've been on a dash to the big orange warehouse. We're trying to buy a new-to-us house which we will have around 12 days to tidy up before trying to find tenants (we will move there ourselves eventually but not yet). There's a large but awkward shaped room which currently has some nasty old cupboards on one wall, plus a wall mounted gas heater which we are going to have removed. We're not sure what state the wall will be in once the cupboards & heater are out. Having planned just to paint it, we've decided wallpaper may look better. I checked the orange shop's website and found a very nice looking paper, luck would have it £3 per roll! None available locally, so I dashed 15 miles to the nearest store which showed stock available and managed to find several rolls in the same batch. I reckon it will take 3-4 rolls tops, OH insisted I buy 7 (Justin case).......... Ho hum, we'll probably have loads left over but at £3 a roll we're not going to lose much if we pass it on to a CS.
  • edited 30 July 2017 at 7:39PM
    FlossFloss Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2017 at 7:39PM
    Slinky, your local big orange store should be able to refund on complete rolls ;)
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Floss wrote: »
    Slinky, your local big orange store should be able to refund on complete rolls ;)
    Thanks floss I think it's a 45 days return policy, not sure if we'll be finished by then as it's taking forever to get to exchange/completion. Wasn't worth risking not getting the paper, it's in their discontinued bins so it was a case of buy it today or pay much more for something else at a later date.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always use the excess wallpaper to line drawers Slinky, or for kids to draw on :)
  • MrsPorridgeMrsPorridge Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excess rolls of wallpaper are also great for mapping out family trees if you fancy doing a bit of "Who Do you Think You are"!
    Getting back on Track
    CC £8,005.72 £7,739.74 £7621.08
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Noelphobic thanks for that GQ article - I think her 'three points' probably strike a chord with a lot of posters on here, I think you take away from the book/method what you want but it still works. I am never going to empty my handbag every night.

Regarding clothes I definitely think categories are the way to go - start with a single category like socks and work upwards. You can break it down into 'long sleeved tops' and 'short sleeved tops' for example as long as you get similar things together and work through everything.

Fpcat thanks for the info about library ebooks - that was news to me.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    At last! Dressing table, console table, extra triple mirror and box of glassware all delivered. Will do the contents of the cabinet this week ready for that to go as soon as transport can be arranged. Things are begining to move at long last!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kitchen cupboards done, all because I was sure I had some vanilla extract somewhere. I didn't! Found loads of serving dishes so will sort them and deliver the ones that don't make the cut to the charity shop along with a bag of clothes DD gave me yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES