Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 20 July 2017 at 1:10PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.2K replies 272.5K views

Replies

• wortwort Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Noelphobic and Aaleigha, welcome, if you can't access the books check out yoo tube as there are many video's some by marie herself, I think I started with those, it will give you an insight at least, and there are ones that show you how to fold.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    336 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    In the melee that is end of term I didn't miss my daily emails. Now I've Kondoed work for a few weeks I've found you and resubscribed to this thread. Can't Kondo me! I'm hoping to find my mojo again, so good to have some newbies to inspire and welcome. I Kondoed two days work so as from September I will be teaching only three days. That will Kondo quite a lot of income too so I'm hoping to employ my other skills to make the difference! But as I'm also moving up age groups I now have a ton of stuff to from early years to sort. :eek:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 45/50
    Currently reading ‘Me and White Supremacy’ Layla Saad.
    #20 in 2020 5/20
    Stitching Animal Patchwork Sampler by The Historical Sampler Company
  • MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Kondo-ing 2 working days is almost the ultimate achievement, surely!!?
    Well done, you will not regret it :T

I work 3 days, self employed. I could work 7 days, there is so much demand round here, but I won't :D

noelphobic, you won't regret investigating the magic of tidying. The past years' threads have great tips and wise words. I would not have done it if I had just read the book, these threads were where I got the enthusiasm, inspiration and the Woo!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    elona wrote: »

Eventually I put my foot down with myself this morning and decided I could do almost anything for just ten minutes at a time.

Thats the ticket, what I do when I have those CBA days. It takes me from messy to tidy in little hops

Books again tomorrow, cookery books, don`t know why I bother keeping some of them as there is only me for much of the time and I like simple food these days. They are going, those with fancy meals or too many ingredients

Nice to see new people, welcome, its the thread that makes magic happen
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see a friend today, she bought the book and now can't find it! We tidied her living room a bit, them she bravely showed me her bedroom - stacked with boxes, she's had to clear a parental home and it's all ended up there. I gently pointed out that it's not very relaxing and must be getting her down to wake up and see that. We're going to find another day to tackle it. .

Classic example - she has had to buy sun cream recently, now she's discovered she has six half-used bottles! That's why putting everything in categories really works.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Polly - if your friends half used sun creams are out of date don't throw them. Mix them all together to use as a moisturiser. Often the sunscreen will still be effective to a lesser degree for quite some time.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    That's a great idea, thanks - I'll pass it on.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    336 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Kondo-ing 2 working days is almost the ultimate achievement, surely!!?
    Well done, you will not regret it :T

I work 3 days, self employed. I could work 7 days, there is so much demand round here, but I won't :D

Thanks MMF007 I am really pleased and so is my colleague. She's going to job share with me (2 days in our class & 1in another). I'll get to take over shopping and cooking reins from DH again so no offence to my much loved but I will be shopping around. No brand loyalty to Tosca's here, so I reckon I can save money there. I'll be cutting my cloth.

Well done GQ on the sale for your pal.

I might visit the 2015 thread and re read 'the book' but to be honest my clothes and the books have never got unmanageable again. I struggle to spend money on me. So clothes have gone out through wear and tear and not been replaced. Books I have a couple from the library, and CS which aren't keepers so will be read and donated. It's the paperwork that got me last time. Probably because of what I do!:(
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 45/50
    Currently reading ‘Me and White Supremacy’ Layla Saad.
    #20 in 2020 5/20
    Stitching Animal Patchwork Sampler by The Historical Sampler Company
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Its already raining and going to be a persisting down day today, expecting cats and dogs later, so a good day to be busy, mainly for me to avoid boredom mouth hunger

Cookery books first and then another small hop look into my wardrobe. I am not buying any more clothes, honestly, I am making my own clothes and they have much more individuality. My aim is one day to only own hm clothing, apart from the coats that I already own

Today does need extra planning, it is dreary and could so easily be a wasted day, procrastinating, so I am going to KM bits and added together, they will make a difference
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've cleared out my kitchen dresser and packed up a load of decorative glass plates, bowls, cake stands and jugs to go to a friend who does Vintage tea parties. I've some lovely cut glass items that were my grandmother's that give me joy so those have been kept and relocated from the dining room cabinet that is going to my friend. Just have to sort the remainder of the stuff in the dining room. It was a very productive rainy day!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support