PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    KM achievements in the last 24 hours (will be more later :D):

Recycling added to and put out for collection
    A pair of old but very good quality binoculars rescued from a friend who wanted rid but did not want to chuck, iykwim, and passed on to nephew (with friend's permission)
    A rounded up of a few old magazines that were waiting for me to finish the articles, all now in said recycling. A couple of articles were clipped out for reference. Note to self - need to get DH to go through his gardening mags and save only those articles he needs!
    Deleted old texts and emails to clear space on e-devices.
    Finally bought plate hanger for decorative item we have had for several months waiting to be displayed. Will fix in place this morning :)
    Downloaded forms and guidance for Power of Attorney for me and DH to sort out (saw the news article about the fees coming down and it jogged my memory)
    Resisted purchases in museum shop AND John Lewis's sale. Lovely things but I do not need them!!

Am about to check out energy deals because our fixed term is coming to an end.
    Also have to check DIY cupboard to see if we have any filler - new light fitting is different shape! If I find the filler I shall tackle that job. DH working today and tomorrow so I am writing myself a 'to do' list but there seems to b plenty to be getting on with!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,896
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Four of the kitchen cupboards cleaned and re-organized. found a tin of furniture polish so polished the dining room table and window sill.

Back seat of car full of bags for CS trip tomorrow. Pile of bags in the garage ready for a dump run tomorrow - will put them in the car boot just before we go as some of it is garden rubbish and I don't want spiders etc., having overnight to get into the car!

Over the weekend will be a major go at the kitchen. We are having a new integral fridge delivered on Tuesday so DH will take the old one out on Sunday so I dread to think what is behind under it! Also we are going to pull the range cooker out and properly clean behind that - another yukky job I'm dreading but it will be good to get it done.

We have got a trip to the pub for dinner on Saturday night so that will spur us on hopefully :)

I regularly clean out for the CS but since discovering KM I have even more to throw out - will it ever end?
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Afternoon all hope everyone is well
    Just kondoed a large amount of money from our bank account as the boiler is finished.
    Currently putting rooms back tidy.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Lots of files of paperwork delivered to charity. Computer files securely delivered to charity. (3 sheets of paper left to deal with/ await confirmation they've been dealt with)

Tax credits renewal done online :j

New phone sorted for OH & DD. Just mine left to sort :) OH's is only fit for scrap recycling. DD's will go to DS2 (starting secondary school 1/2 hour bus journey away in Sept) My old one will go to DS1 (very similar to his current one but he cracked his screen (he actually had a new one of mine 14 months ago) DS1's will go in drawer as the only spare as it is unlocked (the only one) in case of any disasters... That means DS1's old-old one (currently in the drawer as a spare...) can go for recycling (worth about £1.20! :rotfl::rotfl:)

A day of admin tasks - but worthwhile :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The 2 bags I sorted last week have been dropped into CS, having had a few extra things added this morning:D I am next due to visit this particular small town again in 2 weeks, so need to get sifting through again. Meatime local cat rescue shop have said they are happy to take the LP records, so need to start ferrying those out tomorrow.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My house is full of stuff for my various charities and stuff for various members of the family who can only visit once or twice a year. Bleugh. My spare room looks like a junk shop ( no offence GQ) with stuff that does not belong to me, but which I "officially" house for the appropriate time. The charity stuff is particularly cumbersome. Bah.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    It was £16 to get it taken away. They would have taken the chair too for that, but we still need it.

Maybe I'll find enough loose change to cover the cost? :p

That's remarkably cheap!

In the TV series where rich and poor families swapped places for a week, the rich family was surprised to see that so many houses on the estate where the poor family lived had old furniture in their gardens, including a sofa in the garden of the house where they would be living for a week. The dad rang the Council to ask how much it would cost to have it taken away.

£67.50!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So they took it to pieces and carried the pieces to the tip.
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well you never know what will happen, do you? No sooner had I found the filler to complete installation of new light fitting when the curtain rail over the front door pinged off at one end! Rail was put up about 25 years ago but curtain has been dragged back and to a few times this week so 'we' (DH :rotfl:) must have weakened the fixture and the 200 year old plaster gave way. Luckily there is enough filler to do that job too.

Found a pair of shoes that were given to me but I will never wear, was going to put in CS bag but will offer to a friend first as they are her size.

Have shopped from my wardrobe and pulled out a sky blue jumper that has several goldy-pink flowers on. I absolutely love it! It is far brighter than I would normally wear but I bought it in a sale a few months back, waiting to fit into it, and now it does. On a related note one of my old bras seems to be too big now but I have 2 sports bras that are a great fit so I am happy to let the old one go (er, fit only for rags I am afraid to say).

Planned to make blueberry and raspberry jam for DH but it will be done tomorrow morning as I have been on my feet all day and need a sit down! (It is his favourite flavour, well it would be, wouldn't it, as the most expensive one I make! I will stretch it a bit with a couple of apples:D ).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DH got his car back from the garage today & suggested he deliver some of the furniture to my friend!!!!! We got the dressing table down from the loft and made arrangements for Sunday - at long last ;) I found a bag with remnants of a carpet we no longer have so cleared that out. I also discovered a box with all my late mother's photo albums.........:(
    MMF007 - just made 3lb of Rhubarb and Ginger jam just for me ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    silvasava wrote: »
    DH got his car back from the garage today & suggested he deliver some of the furniture to my friend!!!!! We got the dressing table down from the loft and made arrangements for Sunday - at long last ;) I found a bag with remnants of a carpet we no longer have so cleared that out. I also discovered a box with all my late mother's photo albums.........:(
    MMF007 - just made 3lb of Rhubarb and Ginger jam just for me ;)

Ha,ha, I have bought some apricots to make myself some apricot jam, MY favourite :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport