KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 20 July 2017 at 1:10PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.2K replies 273.2K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    paerwork has taken over the whole of this morning, it has been the tail wagging the dog. I always promise myself that I will be putting it away but I get busy and it gets put into a pile. I am also talking about guarantees and instruction booklets. Just about done now. Got to finalise my tax submission today and then I can relax. Maybe another hour, after some energy-giving chocolate
  • wortwort Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I sorted the excess paperwork that had accrued over the last few weeks.
    Dd2 s partner came and told me what needs keeping re hubby's affairs, he also filled in the relevant tax return for the part of this year he was alive, which will go later.
    Nice day so far so have done the washing, I'm going to mow the lawn before any rain!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • CallistoCallisto Forumite
    928 Posts
    I joined in at the end of the last thread, and I am back to report that I have kondoed my clothes, shoes, accessories, bags and jewellery. Took two days in total, but there's just me and the dog, and she only has a couple of winter coats and a bandana in the clothing department. I have taken four bags of clothes and two bags of rags to the charity shop, and also set aside other things that will hopefully sell on [email protected] or at the car boot sale next weekend.

Last weekend I took the old sofa to the tip, and a friend who was helping me took home a broom with a broken handle and a piece of wire that I was going to take to the tip, so I'm pleased they will be reused. They also had some rags and a wooden coathanger from me.

Today I tried to start on books, and I just couldn't get rid of loads at once... I've put three into the car boot box, and started reading one, but only managed a couple of chapters before chucking it in the box as well. I think my problem is that most of the books I haven't read yet, and getting rid of what could be a brilliant book grates on me! I'm usually happy to donate or pass on, once read. Decided to count them, and there are 257 on three bookcases :eek: and that's not including the ones next to the bed and my study books, so had better make some time for reading soon!

I will leave books for now, and move onto paperwork. I would like to get all of the appliance manuals together in one place, and I have a box full of general papers to go through later, while I watch a film.
  • noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I emptied the cutlery tray out, put it in the dishwasher and cleaned the drawer out. Got rid of several kitchen knives that I haven't used for ages and an apple corer that I don't think I've ever used and a few other bits. Put them in the box for the charity shop. Then I realised that I still had the corer and had put the peeler which I do use in the charity box. Luckily it's still here.

My library has the Marie Kondo book in ebook format but weirdly says it isn't available until September - I can't understand why that's the case when it"s something you download rather than a 'physical' book 😗

There's still some cutlery in the dishwasher waiting to be washed but the drawer looks so amazing that I've taken a photo of it. Pity I didn't take a 'before' photo.

#needtogetoutmore
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New boiler is fitted so took old one and associated copper piping down local scrap merchants with dd1 And got £85 for it.
    The mountain of recycled paper/card has been collected from the front and the charity shop was happy with saturdays donations.
    House still feels full but we will get there.

Hope everyone is well
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • fpcatfpcat Forumite
    310 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Library ebooks cannot be downloaded to several readers at once . They are treated just as a physical copy, and loaned to one person at a time and for a set period. Here it's for 3 weeks and even if you finish it within that time the loan doesn't expire until the end of the period, so you can't return it early and you can't borrow a new title yet.
    In the past week I've been through my clothes again. I have 5 bags and my winter coats to go to the charity shop on Tuesday. I've also done my spices etc again. How did so many get out of date? I must be very boring in my cooking. I have also just talked on into getting rid of the mugs he bought the last time I sent all my spares to CS. I usually give my stuff to Barnardo's, but I've been reading the thread about charity shops and am thinking about using a local charity that provides end of Life care, which has a branch 2 miles away, whereas Barnardo's is 10 miles and a toll bridge away, I'll now retreat back into lurking having done my half-yearly post. See you, fpcat
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Afternoon all.

Callisto, what I do with my appliance manuals and instruction/ warranty booklets is to keep them in plastic pockets in a lever-arch file, with subdivisions into Big Appliances and Small Appliances. I don't have a vast amount of stuff.

Had an unexpected bit of kondo-ing as potato blight struck my main crop tatties so got 4 IKEA-bagfuls of diseased tater tops to the tip - a dear pal volunteered to take them in her car.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • wortwort Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I was mowing the lawn, my sister arrived she had brought some cuttings , so we ended up doing some serious pruning of shrubs I'm thinking of putting a couple of plants from tubs into the ground I've uncovered, then I can kondo the pots.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    fpcat wrote: »
    Library ebooks cannot be downloaded to several readers at once . They are treated just as a physical copy, and loaned to one person at a time and for a set period. Here it's for 3 weeks and even if you finish it within that time the loan doesn't expire until the end of the period, so you can't return it early and you can't borrow a new title yet., fpcat

How do you return it?
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • fpcatfpcat Forumite
    310 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    You don't return it, it just stays on your ticket until the end of the loan period, and then it disappears and you can no longer access or read it. It's annoying when you haven't quite finished it, or when you have finished it early but you can't choose another until that loan period runs out. Still it's free, and there is a good choice of books. You can choose something you wouldn't normally read and know that you haven't spent good money if you don't like it. I use the library and their digital services, but I love real books. I buy from CS, Eby, borrow from friends, and reread many titles several times. Which reminds me I must do books again!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News