KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 20 July 2017 at 1:10PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.2K replies 273.2K views

Replies

• mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you it was mav.

I'm currently decluttering ds1s room of dirty washing and old bits of paper and glasses.

Ds2is filling a CS bag with tshirts he doesn't want! That in itself is a huge kondoing achievement

Hope everyone is well.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slinky wrote: »
    Think we need to KM some pears pretty quickly. Our tree is sagging under the weight. We tied up one branch last weekend but it's hanging quite badly.

We're not really keen on pears, will try and trade for apples with a neighbour across the street and pass some onto MIL this weekend.

Anybody else got a glut of pears this year?

Yep, we are planning to poach quite a few in port, put into kilner-type jars & give as gifts at Christmas. I will also make pear chutney and pear "membrillo" cheese, which is scrummy :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Floss wrote: »
    Yep, we are planning to poach quite a few in port, put into kilner-type jars & give as gifts at Christmas. I will also make pear chutney and pear "membrillo" cheese, which is scrummy :D

I made some yummy pear chutney a few years ago, recipe was from Allotment Garden recipes on line. When at Mum's last week I noticed that her Pear tree was loaded, must remember to have some from her, she does not cook nowadays, her mobility and dexterity are poor and it is not safe, so she needs to find homes for most of the apples and pears.

Must look up the pear "membrillow" cheese.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaleigha wrote: »
    OK what do you all do when you are so overwhelmed you really cant start

I have far too many clothes to go in the space I have

I cant even tidy what is there to sort what I have

(I do have bipolar and a few other issues) the Bipolar means at manic points I just buy more stuff - latest was 200+ on clothes and make up and a new to me car at over four grand - but I do LOVE that itreally does spark Joy

should I just grab all out of wardrobe and start there to give me space then drawers etc then tackle a pile of cloths and add to the tidied and Koned areas as there is no way I can do it all at once

what did some of you do in this situation please

I have illnesses which result in poor energy levels and pain, so I did my clothes etc bit by bit. Tops & T shirts. Jumpers, Skirts, Trousers, Nightwear, Scarves, Socks and underwear were the first - my organised sock and knicker drawers still give be a buzz every time I open them. I have quite a lot (possibly slight understatement) and have to keep out of season stored in cases/boxes in spare room or eaves storage, same with shoes. Softly, softly catchy monkey, you will get there:D

Second bag of LP records to the Cat Rescue CS this morning, one more to go, next up some board games and then back to books.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • AaleighaAaleigha Forumite
    594 Posts
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I have illnesses which result in poor energy levels and pain, so I did my clothes etc bit by bit. Tops & T shirts. Jumpers, Skirts, Trousers, Nightwear, Scarves, Socks and underwear were the first - my organised sock and knicker drawers still give be a buzz every time I open them. I have quite a lot (possibly slight understatement) and have to keep out of season stored in cases/boxes in spare room or eaves storage, same with shoes. Softly, softly catchy monkey, you will get there:D

Second bag of LP records to the Cat Rescue CS this morning, one more to go, next up some board games and then back to books.

thank you so much for such a gentle and understanding answer - being so overwhelmed it made me feel a bit weepy but out will come all tops
    THANK YOU
    H xx
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) £18 Pot 2 £10
    total £22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    £40/1000 plus some in my bank £138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaleigha wrote: »
    thank you so much for such a gentle and understanding answer - being so overwhelmed it made me feel a bit weepy but out will come all tops
    THANK YOU
    H xx

You will be fine, there is no schedule to be kept to, just go at your own pace, a lot of us started with socks/tights, knickers and bras, I then left it a while before the next thing, but every day it was lovely opening the drawers that I had done (and kept tidy) every day.

Take care xx
  • AaleighaAaleigha Forumite
    594 Posts
    I did 45 mins and sorted and folded all my tops - I did have two basket fulls now I have vest top and camis sleeved tops and summer cardies all in one basket with space

I have kondoed more than 50% of my tops - now as I wash and iron and put away things I will carefully think if I really love it - and if I do see if there is anything that I have kepted that I dont love as much

Cath and the charity shop are going to do well

was going to ebay some but to be honest for the effort and return I would just rather sort :) this is just going to snowball (arthritis and mental health permitting)
    thank you so so Much MaddieMay and all those who post for your inspiration
    H xx

next on the list under and night wear
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) £18 Pot 2 £10
    total £22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    £40/1000 plus some in my bank £138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) I've been spending my time either at work, asleep or gardening, it seems lately and the flat has turned into a terrible mess. As I've got the family coming over on Sunday, I need to make room for them (and tidy up!) and also prepare the things which are going back to their place, pending a family boot sale on the Bank Holiday weekend.

I've actually been making some acquisitions in the clothing line, nice trousers at 50p each as I am dropping back down to my real size (16) after a few years of being fat, and some things I am wearing now will be too big in a few more months - already dropped a size to get into these.

I'm no fan of clothes shopping, I prefer to gently harvest clothing from charity shops as and when I see something I like at a bargainous price. Am particularly pleased with my two new-to-me trousers at 50p each. One smart [email protected] pair which are winter-weight and one summery pair in a casual style.

Trousers are one of the things I do end up buying new as I take the longer length and you can't always get them secondhand, so finding these is a blessing.

:o Ooops! Just realised this is the opposite of kondo-ing! In my defence, m'lud, once I'm smaller, clothing in bigger sizes gets to exit and live a new life serving someone else.:o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, ha GQ. I too have bought a few clothes* and am waiting for the moment I can ditch the larger ones :D I have been dropping things into CS bag as I come across them for releasing and there are a few items but there will be more to go.
    *I wore a new top today, lunching with friends, and got compliments (bought in the sales, of course :D!).

News flash - DH has just pulled the CD wallet out that I kondo'd all CDs into last year, and flicked through, selecting a disc. He actually said, and I quote verbatim, "You did a good job with these". :T Sorry to use such antiquated language, CDs being so last century, but it's what we mostly have our music on :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    aaleigha, your post reminded me of when I was a young teenager and my younger siblings (6 of them) were taken upstairs to be put to bed. I was just 18 months older but old enough to do what the oldest girl did in many households ie work to help run the home. One of my jobs was to tidy the living room, which was always an utter mess by the end of the day and I used to wonder where to start. KM is really no different, although MK did it differently ie she was one grown up in a small place in Japan, so the circumstances are different. I had no control over how everything got messy, same as bi-polar has no control at certain times. At the end of each day, I decided to work from the outside in and it did work, otherwise the job was too overwhelming. In your case, I would just take a small area at a time, get it done and then don`t fill that area while you move onto the next. In the meantime, there is a mantra that needs to get stuck in the brain, to help cope when an urge to spend money comes about. Need not want

I had a letter from the hospice shop yesterday, telling me the amount they made from my donations this last year, I have new impetus to keep my shopping trolley for cs going. Every little thing that is decent and that I remove from the house, will be going in there. First year the amount was high, less last year but still an amount. I will try harder this year
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides