PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh It's hard being a cowboy in Rochdale MMF . This could go on all night ! However Polly is now leaving the building x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cowboy in Rochdale made my hubby squint, but my rendition of Chick Chick Chicken reminded him of star wars cantina, so we're now going to be listening to that all morning :rotfl:
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Comedy nostalgia for anyone from Cheshire - 'Blaster' Bates, on YouTube . Good to hear a Cheshire accent again and he had great intonation and a cheeky laugh.
    Reminds me of my dad, who loved listening to the Blaster Bates LPs and having a real belly laugh at his antics.
    For those who don't know (most people, I suspect), this guy was an ex pilot who became a demolition expert long before Fred Dibner hit the tv screens. Batesy was a great raconteur and you can imagine what fertile ground he had re blowing up cess pits! He told a tale of how Knickerbrook, at the Oulton Park racing circuit, got its name ( it involved a courting couple getting a shock when he blows up some trees).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Softstuff
    Options
    I loooove Blaster Bates! My grandad had his records and I recall laughing until tears streamed down my face at the one where he blew up the cesspit when his neighbour had freshly painted the cottage.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And the National Anthem of the Ancient Britons. Sung to the tune of Men of Harlech.

Saxons you can waste your stitches
    Building beds for bugs in breeches,
    We have WOAD to clothe us, which is
    Not a nest for fleas.

Lovely stuff.

NM, of course you will miss your son. Sometimes you will miss him like a toothache, but miss him anyway.
    On the other hand...........
    For the first time ever you will have no one to consider but yourself. You can go to bed when you like, get up when you like, or not get up if you don't feel like it. You can eat when and what you like. The sense of freedom is heady stuff. It will feel strange at first but you will soon get used to it.

Massive sympathy on the hay fever. I suffered from it badly growing up. In the forties and fifties the only other person I met who had it was my English mistress at school. Everyone else thought it was hilarious. They used to sit around counting the sneezes while I felt as though every breath would be my last and that my head would explode at any moment. Then my son had it, worse than anyone I have ever met. We spent all one summer up and down to the hospital because they wouldn't believe that the eyelids puffed up like ping-pong balls, the face bright red and streaming, the ulcerated mouth and throat, were all due to hayfever. At almost 50 he is a lot better these days but still dreads the summer.

Now I will go and look up Cowboy in Rochdale, new to me.

Or maybe I should try to go back to sleep.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm awake Monna - because DH is asleep and leaving me in no doubt of the fact

He has a long drive tomorrow so he is being allowed to live. For how long is another question
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Peace has broken out!! Night night!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Softstuff my DH swears that Istanbul Airport is just like the bar in Star Wars and has someone from every race & creed in there! Oh and thanks for the Cantina earworm :mad: :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, good morning, little choir of nightingales. No sunshine here but the cold wind seems to have died down a bit.

Not sure yet what delights today holds. Maybe a bus trip into Ryde, but maybe not. I do have a couple of things to do there but I don't actually need anything from the shop's so will wait until I do, its a couple of hours round trip so I like to make it as worthwhile as possible.

True to form, DS2 did not appear yesterday. Haven't heard why yet but I surmise that someone else wanted him and, as I am well aware, paying customers come first. So if anyone wants to save a rainforest I have one they can practise on.

I certainly need a kickstart into the day.

I'm coming caffeine!

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Dorothy taught us that all a girl really needs is a nice pair of shoes and a very loyal dog.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Softstuff
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Softstuff my DH swears that Istanbul Airport is just like the bar in Star Wars and has someone from every race & creed in there! Oh and thanks for the Cantina earworm :mad: :D

haha, he's right :rotfl: I spent a long stopover there once (many many years ago) in a cafe drinking endless tea and chatting to a lovely Pakistani guy about his love life issues.

Oh and do do do do do do do dodo dododo dooooo do!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure