PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 April 2018 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Oh Floss, I've always loved that, I often sing it as I pootle about

It takes half the Army and the Naaaaavy
    To put the wind up Sylvest
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Fred Wedlock, my ex's theme tune, The oldest swinger in town!
    Jake Thackery was funny too.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you AOD for Jollity Farm . I don't recall monnas Misery Farm but it triggered a memory of another farm . I've been trying to remember it for hours . Well you've come up with it so one less thing to clog the brain .
    I remember most of the poems and songs . I can picture my mum singing chick, chick , chicken chicken as she took the top of my boiled egg when I was small . Then doing the same when my younger siblings arrived .
    I used to love the Highwayman poem and would read it under the bedclothes on dark and windy nights with a shudder . I always was an odd child :D
    I think nostalgia is good medicine in times that can be more challenging and at times difficult for many . Those blue remembered hills again for those of us fortunate enough to have happy memories .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    One too many chickens there ! How are you NM ? Any sign of a successful bid ? I'd be interested to hear how you've got on with the new vacuum . Don't need one myself but useful to know if someone is looking for recommendations .
    After the humidity earlier the temperature is dropping fast . Finger joints aren't as swollen as earlier but I've just put the heating on . Maybe I should have stayed with the flannelette bedding after all !
    pollyx

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Polly it is good it picks up well takes up little room. It is heavier than I thought but I am managing that. The big problem is when you switch it on the exhaust is blown through the collection area and the dust blows right into my face. Anyone tall will just get it in the chest. It does not effect DS,

I have a severe dust Allergy! It turns my whole head in to a big continuous sneeze, my eyes stream and I can't think straight. If this makes no sense you will know why. We are both suffering hay fever because the spring was so late. If we get snow again I will probably get it again.

I really aren't at all well at the moment. I get very confused when I can't feel anything but a great big sneeze and I can't see for the water in my eyes. You should see me trying to cook. DS is not helping because he just gets cross with me running away for tissues every few seconds and he needs to go to bed. I am feeling like I will be glad when he goes on 9th May. Of course I will probably be devastated.

Anyway there is a filter but I think the dust just blows round the edges of the dust trap. I will let you know if and when I will feel better. The best thing about Henrys is the have triple filters.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thank you all for the mixture of earworms I have now.

I'll add: https://uncle-joes.com/our-song/

My dad could sing all the verses and often would.

We had a cassette tape many years ago too of Richard Digance from the Happy Eater. Much to my chagrin it was nicked when my mums car got stolen, but I still remember some of his comedy tunes.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    As far as bids are concerned There was nothing to bid for last week. Kent Court was advertised again, it did not mention it was sheltered housing like a few weeks ago. I rang up about St Georges Court, the one on the main road but that particular flat is furnished.

When I worked for Derby City Council and Gloucester City Council we did not have furnished properties but anyone who needed it could hire furniture from us if the did not have any. We never left it in a flat. It sounds like a daft idea to me because they may need furniture next week for another property. Most people do not get their furniture out of there house if they are evicted. They are only given half an hour to get everything out.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, it must be a day for singing old songs! My elderly neighbour started to sing when I visited his wife. He has Altzeimers and is pretty badly affected now but he sang 'Daisy Daisy', without missing a beat. It was me that couldn't remember that it won't be a stylish marriage! We sang several songs and I did enjoy it. On the way between jobs I actually tuned my car radio to a music station (usually listen to radio 4 until lunchtime) :)

Mike Harding, it's hard being a cowboy in Rochdale!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling so unwell NM . I feel this year will be like last . The hayfever seemed never ending then and is looking the same so far this year . Both dd and I are fed up with it already . Antihistamines , nasal spray and eye drops don't seem to be having much effect at the moment . A thumping headache and scratchy throat aren't helping .

As I said I found the corded Shark I bought heavier than I imagined . The weight is in the lift off pod . I haven't noticed a dust issue . It could be worth you checking reviews when you feel a bit better to see if it's a problem for others or you have a faulty one .

i have the Hepa filters in Henry and he gets used more than the Shark as the floors downstairs are solid and an EMop with the dust head and wash head handle day to day downstairs with the Shark used every now and then , Henry does the upstairs carpets and the lift off part of the shark the stairs ..

I don't imagine you will be devastated when your son moves , more coming to terms with life moving on . My eldest dd was the first to go away to Uni and I found that hard although her older brother and the two younger sisters were still here . They reach an age when it's time to fly the nest . We did and if we give them the roots we need to let them spread their wings and fly . They come back they don't disappear and there are more interesting chats than the usual daily stuff . You get to make new house rules and so will he . You wont be tied to meal times to suit and will be free to come and go to suit you . If you connect with the local church , see if there's a library nearby you will come across nice people and have a new area to explore at your leisure ,
    I hope the right home comes soon and you get to go out and about in the warm weather to come . There's a whole world out there and appointments and bad health days apart it's for you .
    Feel better soon . x

I need to get to bed . Out tomorrow . Monna your dads poem about the steamers is unknown to me but reminded me of a great favourite . Cargoes by John Masefield and the dirty British coaster with a salt - caked smoked stack . Quite a complex poem to learn at a young age . Exotic cargo and unfamiliar names but memorable to this day .
    The Merchant of Venice and Macbeth both formed part of my English Lit GCE ( remember them ) syllabus . As Meatloaf sang " I remember everything " we were so lucky to have a full and extensive education and I remember my english teacher fondly .

Thanks dear monna for the trip down memory lane today .
    Sleep tight all
    polly x

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bernard Cribbins, oh yes

We had building work done a year or so ago. For months I had Fred said let's have another cup of tea going round and round in my head

I tried to stop I really did
    But it did no good, well I never thought it would
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback