PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 April 2018 at 9:53PM
    Options
    I do remember when I was little we had a new "studio couch" (nowadays we'd call it a sofa bed) and my Mum wouldn't let my Dad and brother sit on it in case they got it dirty :D I can't recall how long it took before she relented! Perhaps she was only joking and I was just too young to understand that.

Lovely to "see" you burtha and karcher ((HUGS))

Went to see my GP today; he says some of my symptoms fit an underactive thyroid, but some fit overactive thyroid! But we agreed there's something hormonal going on, so he's referring me to an endocrinologist. Goodness only knows how long I'll have to wait for that, but at least something's being done.

I received a letter inviting me to claim my state pension, but found that their newly-redesigned online form doesn't work for people who've (a) lived overseas and also (b) lived in the same overseas country during more than one period of time.
    OH claimed his a couple of months ago and had no problems, but the form is different now and not only that but the page of "Notes" he was able to download no longer exists.
    So I will have to phone them tomorrow, aaagh!

ETA MMF Just looked at your pictures. I love the bluebell one in particular, and very well done on the cat, cats are notoriously difficult to paint!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least it's progress of a sort Ivyleaf, even though it'll take longer. Wishing you a speedy appointment time.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :blushing:
    Guys, those are my fave pics of course. There are some horrors in the cupboard awaiting over-painting! As I say, gives me great pleasure to keep trying. If I do anything else worthy I'll post it!

I have framed the kittie in a tortoiseshell frame :) and I am going to take the bluebell wood to a professional framer. DH said he will pay for that to be done.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMF007, even the masters painted over some of their works ;)

Brief mum update: She's been to the surgery twice. Firstly a urine infection, which they're treating, but they're also testing everything else besides now. The nurse there is telephoning her too to see how she's going. The surgery have also arranged a revisit from social services. Mum seems to be coming down to earth mentally, and though still stubborn is taking this somewhat as a warning. She wants to sort Power of attorney (providing she's competent to do so) when I come over. I have also told her I need her to look at getting help in the home. We'll see. I feel better though that the surgery seems to have really stepped in for me :heart:
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    At least it's progress of a sort Ivyleaf, even though it'll take longer. Wishing you a speedy appointment time.

Thank you. I'm so glad your mum's surgery has been helpful! Thinking of you xx
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Soooo. ......, it was either really good or REALLY bad!? And smelly!!

I'm now married to one of them :rotfl: tho I had a different boyfriend at the time, who wasn't there :p

Excellent pictures
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMF WOW.

You can stop with the false modesty NOW, young lady.

Those pictures are stunning. How you got that light on the bluebells is inspired. And you could reach out and stroke that lovely cat.
    I am awestruck. Go and paint lots, lots more. I can't wait to see them.

Softstuff, good news about your mum. What a relief for you. You can relax now that the surgery have got things moving..

Ivyleaf. Good news for you too. It's a relief to be taken seriously and good to know that they are going to investigate further.

VJsmum. My friend married one of the senior Scouty people, and I had a near miss with another.

I'm here at this unearthly hour because my faithful canine woke me up whining. Thinking she needed to go out I struggled downstairs and opened the patio doors. She just stood there with her toy monkey in her mouth, rear end wagging with excitement, as she thought I was going out to play with her.
    At 2.30am?
    No chance.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    "I have no friends " well Silveroldie and Lamewolf that is the last time you will ever be able to use those words as you now have all of us whether you like it or not lol.
    Be careful what you wish for as we are a very eclectic group of people with odd tastes and some of the mature ladies could easily lead you astray.
    Look forward to getting to know you over the next few weeks so find a space, grab the tipple of your choice and hand round the cakes/biccies xx
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MMF your pictures are amazing.

Softstuff pleased your Mum is getting help. I helped care for my mother until she went into a care home, it must be so difficult when you are so far away.

Ivyleaf good to hear they are listening.

Not slept too well, DH still asleep.
    Read back on all your posts, thank you everyone.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback