We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unsinkable

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I think it's hackers/spammers causing it purplemum. It's very upsetting for those people :(.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Looking at the site rules/forum discussion board, it looks like there's other threads from the other boards that have been deleted.

I did half expect this one to have gone this morning, so I'm happy its still here.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 February 2018 at 9:56AM
    Options
    I thought I'd do a quick round up of where we are and the plans for February.

Good things

Paid £1000 off my target for the year :j
    Brought my lunch to work
    Working through my 218 list :cool:
    Tried to keep up with Flylady
    Managed some NSD's but lost track
    Managed a few AFD's
    Nearly sewed all DD's badges on her camp blanket :T
    Trying a different tactic with the budget
    Kept up with the meal plan, only strayed three times

Bad things
    Changed my car so debt increased slightly :o
    DH will be changing his car so debt will increase again temporarily :o
    Didn't hit my target of AFD's
    Failed with the AFD's
    Semi-failed with the NSD's

February's goals look like this:

Stick to 17 AFD's
    Keep taking lunches to work
    Aim for 17 NSD's
    Stick to meal plan
    Keep to £10 allowance
    No unnecessary grocery spending
    Keep track of current account - daily checks

Other things I need to do:

Flylady as much as possible
    Sew remaining badges on DD's camp blanket
    Ring/check HMRC re Tax - DONE
    Walk more - weather permitting
    Download emails
    Back up iPad and iPhone

Car wise - Mine was needed to be changed due to new job and high mileage. DH's needs to be changed due to coming to end of contract. Although the debt will increase slightly, it is only temporary and once DH gets commission through, this will be paid off.

January in general has been a fairly goodish month all in all, need to keep up the momentum though for February.

We have had a look at wallpaper and paint for the house and have some ideas of what we'd like to do, we've been here 9 months so far (gone too quick!) and I said to DH last night that I'd like to spend this year decorating the house and making it nice.

Garden wise, I'd like to plant some flowers and generally make it nicer to be out there.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I'm on my annual enthuse about the garden. It'll ease off soon :p Ours is rather overgrown after extensive neglect and I get overwhelmed and give up.

I do thoroughly recommend the rake and sew mixed annuals packs for a spot of colour while you decide what to do. Try £land.

Its a pain with the cars isn't it. We need to change one shortly as neither meets the rules of his work scheme to get the allowance after next month.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You sound like you're on top of things purplemum :T.

Our garden is horrendous at the moment. Everything needs a good prune, but as it never stops raining I don't fancy fighting with soggy bushes and limp leaves :eek:.

I want to transform it in the Spring though with some lovely flowers :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 January 2018 at 1:53PM
    Options
    Afternoon,

Thankfully things seem to have settle down on the troll side of things here, hope that there are no more attacks.

Lunch today was left over fajita wrap and coleslaw, just need to stick with February's aim now.

DH's birthday today and he seems quite happy with his pressies.

DH has been and bought a new car, will cost slightly more a month but he has the option to pay something extra as and when he wants, so it'll eventually reduce the monthly payment, so I'm not too unhappy about that. The BC will rise by £2K for the deposit but it could be worse and would've been worse than my car if we'd left it.

I rang HMRC and I should've been paying tax, long story short, payment company weren't told by HMRC to take tax out, HMRC say they told payment company. New coding notice being sent out and I owe approx £700 on top of the existing £416 under payment from old job. Not happy about it but not much I can do. I'll let it sit in the background for the moment and deal with that next year.

I seriously hope that the rest of this year will be a bit more frugal than the beginning.

ETA - I got given some more eggs from my work colleague today.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Oh how frustrating on the tax, I had a couple of years of catch up from an employers mistake and it really annoyed me.

Hurrah for the eggs, I do miss having hens a little, but then I remember the destruction of the garden and the joys of cleaning them out and I feel better,.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've been thinking and I think I need to reassess my plan for the year.

The original aim was to pay off £4000 for the year, however, we've both added £4000 to the debt with having to change the cars. Okay £2000 will come off as I have money due in April/May but we will still have the £2000 for DH's car.

It is manageable, so I am not worried about us not being able to afford it.

I think I need to up my aim for the year from £4000 to £6000? to take in account the increase or I don't think it would make that much difference by December?

Hmmm..........more thought I think and a possible tweak of things.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning,

I did quite a lot of thinking last night and have made a decision.

I am going to stick to my £4K for the year, I know that I will be cheating a bit as I have £2K to be paid in April/May, so that will bring me closer to my target, but anything over £4K will be a bonus.

If I start to worry about the extra added on to the debt, then I will lose focus and I don't want to waste this year worrying about the debt increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport