PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Posted off the phone Ebay sale.

3) Went on the allotment (still raining) and cleaned the hens' sleeping quarters out, dug up a row of potatoes and picked 2 little courgettes.

4) Started the baking for the village show tomorrow. Have done the light fruit cake, cake made from vegetables (courgette) and tray bake. Will do the lemon drizzle in the morning. Plus the "vase of 5 herbs" class and my 5 preserves.

5) Went to town to swap smaller son's trousers for some that he likes.

6) Popped in to Sainsburys and saw bigger son's friend's dad. His friend is off to Cardiff to do maths.

7) Had a Chinese takeaway for tea.

8) Watched the Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse fishing programme.

Spent the evening dashing around vacuuming up a new breed of super-spider! Just enormous.

and bigger son has reached Kathmandu. His phone is completely broken now but I've gleaned that bit of information from looking at his fellow VSO people's FB pages!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A cheeky extra - just picked up dd1 from the station then we called in at Mr T. Bill was just over £40 but i had lots of silly little vouchers - brought it down to 83p (she had to hand a £1 voucher back to me) so definitely worth scanning those points
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. Quiet day at home.

2. House looking tidy and stuff decluttered. A box which has been in the hall since MIL died has been emptied and most of it has been thrown awat. DH wanted to keep it all but hasn't looked at the box since despite numerous reminders. I did keep the sentimental stuff but the broken stuff was thrown away.

3. A friend messaged me out of the blue. She is doing well.

4. DS1 came in and left in a whirlwind. He is best man at a wedding today.

5. Watched Gardeners world.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Friday pleasures,

Overslept a tad and didn’t stir until Capt S brought me a cuppa at 7.40.

Went to see beautiful grey one, not sure if it’s the recent change in temperature but she was very on her toes and bouncy!

Home and baked a loaf, plain white with a sesame seed topping.

Met up with a pal in cathedral city, by this time it was piddling down so we decided not to walk down to the river but hurried round to the almonry instead for tea & cake.

Dark old evening what with the rain etc so we lit the candles and made it all cosy, snap on the Mortimer and Whitehouse programme Frith which was worth it for the scenery alone but Bob falling backwards in the boat was priceless.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Been awol again as very busy and much time being spent covering for holidays I the shop!

DD1 has had latest pregnancy scan and baby is the right way up, weighs in at round 6lbs and still has 4 weeks to go.

Stenographer on Thursday very taken with the fact that she can see discernible hair on the scan for baby, not many babies have hair at this stage.

Just rescued some wrinkly apples from the fruit bowl and now have a crumble in the oven rather than waste them, jazzed up with some raisins and cinnamon, should be tasty.

Rugby season tickets have arrived in the post for next seasons games, can't wait (but will have to as October before the first home game).

The plums on the allotment tree are almost ripe so I shall be able to make lots of plum jam this year (my favourite) and also put some into the freezer for winter puddings.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Pleasures today.

Walk in the park in the sunshine.

A few more ripe blackberries foraged, enough to make a small batch of blackberry whisky.

Full on housework mode today, got rid of remaining dregs of liquid soap from the bathroom and en-suite, replaced with good quality bar soaps. No more plastic soap dispensers in this house!

Prepared food for tomorrow's visitors - daughter is vegan, her partner is veggie. I made roasted root vegetables and a pan of mixed beans in a garlicky tomato sauce, which will just need warming up tomorrow and serving with tortillas, shredded lettuce, dips and tortilla chips. Fresh strawberries and cherries afterwards.

Did think about tackling ironing mountain but then thought "Sod it." I have done enough today, and it will wait until after the weekend.

Listening to 1970s guitarists on the Yesterday channel.

Tonight there will be the added pleasure of sleeping in fresh clean bed linen.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello. I've retired to bed and hoping to stay awake to watch Casualty...if not there's always catch up telly :)

Busy morning at work . Paid :)

Walked to and from.

Cut grass which was badly needing it but it's been so wet. Glad I did as it got exceptionally wet later!

Rooms sorted! Sofas in family room changed position and a mirror taken down and huge one put back up. Heavy chest lugged through to family room. Telly returned to family room ( I only have a portable sized one) . Lamps all changed! Pictures changed! More autumnal looking now! Happy with it.

Chat with friend.

Chat with sister ( whilst it lashed and lashed with rain)

Had sausage rolls and vegetable samosas de-lurked from freezer.

Boy child home ( as he's skint) and DD2 out gallivanting but has work early tomorrow so I hope isn't too late!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2019 at 11:46PM
    Options
    Lainey - he falls over a lot! And I've diagnosed (through the TV) that he has frozen shoulder.

MHags - a good Casualty tonight, I thought.

Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Up earlier than of late. Made a lemon drizzle cake (not my best, which seems to happen a lot when it's to go in the village show!)

3) Put entries in and had a chat with various neighbours.

4) Hens OK. Did lots of weeding around the pumpkin plants and watered the tomatoes. 3 hens were put away (they've a large run on the allotment). 1 had disappeared. There is no way out as the fencing is over 2 metres high. I looked all around, behind the shed and greenhouse. Either she had been carried off by a hawk (though surely I would have noticed!) or... well, I couldn't think where she had gone. Finally I found her in a little "nest" under some huge rhubarb leaves. She keeps being pecked by the other 3 and I think she was hiding from them. I wonder about getting someone else to have her but don't know anyone local with a similar set up.

5) Back to the show at 2pm. A poor day for me, results wise but plenty of entries and nice to have a look around. I did get a first for my lemon curd - the first batch I had ever cooked! We've a lot of cake to eat now.

6) Bigger son's phone burst into life for a few minutes so had a few messages from him. He is at the hotel in Kathmandu now, leaving for the UK tomorrow and I will be picked him up between 11 and midnight! Through some super sleuthing work on the internet, I've worked out which planes he will be going on.

7) Another ridiculous spider up the hoover!

8) Watched Casualty.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wonderful saturday if I ignore the footie bop
    1) meeting with friends - we started with coffee and chocolate crispie cakes nom nom
    2) greek salad for lunch
    3) dd1 and i walked to invergowrie for wedding party for son of friend and his japanese bride. a bilingual celebration - beautiful
    4) then the chairs were cleared and the tables set out and a lovely meal in the church
    5) then the tables were cleared and we played a ceilidh
    A great evening and a great space to have the whole celebration in (they have no pews)
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah that would explain it Frith.

Saturday pleasures,

A rough old night which saw me sitting up for a fair bit of it so pleasure of the morning cuppa.

Boiled egg with marmite soldiers for breakfast with a very large mug of coffee, see above!

A gentle, pottering kind of day and spent a fair bit of it in the garden. The last few days had felt so autumnal it was almost a shock to have warm sunshine and remember it’s still only mid August.

The beautiful grey one still flighty and doing her best impression of an Arab, neck arched, tail up, nostrils flaring, stunning to look at but hard to get her to concentrate!

Lovely evening walk with Capt S & small dog.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback