PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sunday pleasures,

Up early and cuddles with dog, my little shadow.

Catching up on all things Ambridge, poor Ed & Emma :(

Roast pork dinner followed by a snooze on the sofa.

Sat in the garden and read my book for a while, the mystery of why the varnish was flaking off the shed door was solved when I saw several wasps on there removing it to no doubt build a nest with. Capt S had removed one under the hedge earlier in the year, wonder where the new one is!

Toasted crumpets for tea.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Yesterday

1) DH made beautiful squash soup from homemade squashes and brought it up to me with HM bread. I adore that man. I'm expecting baby no 2 and can't bear the smell of cooking at the moment, especially frying onion/garlic which is how I start everything I cook. He has taken on all the house-stuff without complaint, even though he works/commutes much longer hours than me.
    2) Managed to catch up on housework a bit, and had about 2 hours of a nice tidy house over the weekend. Hoping to catch up a bit more tonight.
    3) Hot choc - a rare treat. DH used Lidl's cocoa mix and soya milk. Lush. I might have another cup tonight.
    4) Booked our 10 day holiday in Brittany next year - Eurocamp - got a great deal through fiddling around with dates and providers. Also realised the big camps have areas where you can book direct and bring your own tent. Won't be attempting next year with a 5 month old baby but good to know!
    5) Snuggling in bed, clean sheets, watching the last Hunger Games movie. And a decent sleep after!
  • Crumpets. Proper food!
    Light at the end then. Did JAM yesterday again, somebody was asking about the Duke and the Hunter! There that should has one looking for … BoP was on about his comic book heroes from Eagle and his very own war stories. Minds me a few visits back when I explained the one exhibit had got smaller over the years since BoP worked on it. Mum got the answer straight away but her daughter was a bit miffed! Ifs yous is out west, you must visit JAM.

After JAM we has Salmon salad for tea and a choc ice. Raffles had a cod stick later and a good brushing and combing from BoP. No claws were used!

Now where was BoP. Cricket! He has sandpaper in his pockets! BoP would bounce a couple to him!

At mill, today we has three cakes of Jaffa and the usuals as well. Rite tasty as well. Cheese was a wood of smoked apples.

Watched the challenge of uni last night and then some comics in coffee houses while in a car! Cocoa was sipped, proper cocoa and not them foam drinks either.

Got front yard to do this evening, oh, and clear some rubbish.

There that is how it happens in your version of the Life of BoP!

The buck stops when you ...
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Congratulations MandM90 a new baby how exciting!

Well my one day off and a busy one!

Took contents of shed to recycling centre.

Took dog to allotment. Picked a couple of courgettes and then collected a pile from the community bed, messaged our local food bank and then delivered it.

Home from allotment absolutely soaked! What a downpour.

Friend from Australia called and we had a great chat.

Went into town to go to food bank and picked up some more Ivy plants from florist . Nip in to M&S. Nip into a charity shop and bought a nice shirt and a painting. And a couple of little jigsaw puzzles ( like the old fashioned ladybird books)

Then had go drive to other end of town to meet friends ( old work colleagues) but I got there early. Had a sandwich. Read the paper.

Loveky afternoon. Lots of chatter and laughter which is always good.

Home and back out to continue painting shed and put some things in it. Had a leftover bag of white stones from garden refurbished so used them. Planted the ivies. Still loads to do but much of that is weather reliant.

Made pasta with courgette and onions from allotment, mushrooms and bacon . Very yummy.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    congrats M&M
    bit of a cocoa theme going on M&M & BOP i'm on the Rosie
    1) worked at home waiting for the rain to stop. it didn't so got to use my lovely new umbrella
    2) saw lovely friend in coffee shop so stopped to say hello
    3) on way home went past allotments - there was a free bag of broad beans
    4) then someone gave me some rhubarb
    5) mrpiano has just realised his ticket is 11th not 12th. Thank goodness he noticed now! (tomorrow i will check it's actually for august rofl)
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,143 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Spent part of the day watching a team of tree surgeons start to clear some of the trees from next doors' garden. It took 5 hours to not quite take down a eucalyptus. It is hard to work out how high things are but it was certainly at least 3 times the height of the house. This hasn't really had an impact on our view (as there are more trees behind it). Tomorrow, a massive willow (4 trunks to it!) is coming down and that is right in the middle of their lawn, nearly touching their house and without it, our view will be much improved. I think another 2 smaller trees will be going as well.

3) Sent an Ebay parcel off.

4) Might be getting some sort of bus pass for smaller son. Otherwise it will cost £700 per year, per child. :-O I think BOP would like the hassle I had to go through this morning. There are 3 buses from here a day. Both sons will be at the nearest college to our house. Bigger son is now deemed too old (18!) to deserve any sort of discount at all.

Smaller son (16) is worthy of some sort of discount, allegedly. No one knows how this works. SEND phoned to say he is entitled to free travel, being disabled and all. Another taxi would cost me £500 per year. Or they could pay me £7.45 per day to drive him. 4 x 12 mile trips per day...

OR... he can have a county wide bus pass because he is disabled! Yes please, say I. Yes, it's great. It works off peak - so after 9.30am.... very helpful!

I applied anyway. They want a large report proving he is disabled and 2 passport photos. Fine. Then they want... a household bill in HIS NAME! :-D He's at school!!!

So I shall get the silly bus pass that fits in with nothing. Then I have to apply for a college bursary that may or may not actually pay something towards busses that run at sensible times.

5) Hens OK.

6) Got heat proof rope and did the final stove fitting - filling the gap between the stove and the chimney.

7) Tasty tea.

8) Just went for an (early) midnight shop to Tesco for smaller son.
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,027 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    1 Had a really lovely weekend away at a new to us steam fair, met some lovely characters.
    2 Pizza from the freezer for dinner.
    3 Listed a few items for sale on the dreaded Fb, and they’ve sold already as long as they are collected tomorrow, hopefully pleased.
    4 Happy animals, means happy us, and our old gal is okay on steroids and antibiotics, althou we know we don’t have long she is being very spoilt.
    5 Watching a late film.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For Sunday and yesterday.

1. Had bbq on Sunday with DH cousins as it was his birthday.
    A good time was had. Weather was good especially as forecast wasn't too great.

2. DS2 cooked the food so got credit for it all. I had done salads, marinated the meat and did puds!!

3. A builder came to give us a quote. He knew what he was talking about and will have to see what price he gives us.

4. Work ok. I do my best now to avoid all the people that cause problems.

5. A vase which I had filled with herbs for the table at the bbq - I had read its meant to keep flies away. It certainly doesn't keep wasps away!! Vase looks good inside on my table.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Good morning 5OSPers,

Frith The cost of travel is such a barrier for many of the families at my school. The local authority have messed with the transport, trying to save money, and have made it worse for everyone. (Probably costs more :rotfl:). I am trying to set up a cycling club, as for many of our students it would give them freedom.......Oooooh the danger! It is a risk assessment nightmare!.....oooh feel better for that rant :D

Yesterday

1. Binge watching Kirsties Celebrity Craft programme before we go on hols.

2. More shopping with coupons and cashback.

3. Trip to IKEA. Meatballs for tea, and free coffee with our family card. :D I also found a cushion in the reduced corner.

4. Trip to the dump. More garden waste cleared.

5. Watching an episode of Keeping Faith with a bowl of Caramel Pecan ice cream :D
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Many congrats M&M
    How many hoops Frith!

Monday pleasures,

Bread making, first time doing a milk loaf and a v sticky dough but good results, keep toying with the idea of a bread maker but love the therapy of a good knead, keeps the old bingo wings at bay as well :rotfl:

A jug of flowers on the table.

Walking up to girlie’s paddock and panicked for a moment as thought there was blood on her shoulder but on closer inspection turned out to be some kind of berry juice, no idea where from as nothing within reach but perhaps some passing bird dropped its lunch and she lay on it?

Lovely chat with pals at yard, friendly place.

Strawberries and cream for tea, making the most of summer fruits before they disappear.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback