Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 - Page 319

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

edited 18 July 2017 at 11:40AM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.4K replies 713.6K views

Replies

• villagelifevillagelife Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some for yesterday.
    1. Paid off a loan.I had to wait for final small amount to be calculated and it's gone.

2. Warm day and went to a nursery to look at roses. Found some we liked and names noted to buy when we are ready for them. Had a coffee sitting out in the sun on the way back.

3. Went to see MIL and took her into the garden there and wheeled her to the pond with enormous carp in it. The roses and lavender smelled divine. She kept wanting to know why I couldn't go the garden party this week. Explained i was working so was told I should go and stop work. She is so depressing and again didn't say one nice thing to either of us .

4. Came home and spent time in the garden to recover and had a chat with neighbours. Relaxing and DH had time to sit and do nothing for a while.

5. Friend is feeling positive after his heart surgery was cancelled last week three times. May have it this week.
  • edited 11 June 2018 at 10:41AM
    ampersandampersand Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 June 2018 at 10:41AM
    Up v.early and busy, outside and in, including unnecessary ironing before 5! since when something like a sea haar has rolled in, blotting out everything beyond a few metres. Bizarre. Sea is 1-2hrs away, very odd
    Difficult funeral on Friday, made more so when a speaker tumbled and deeply gashed head, All had to stoip; resumed 40 mins later..
    #
    1. Some surprising and pleasing hammer prices last Tues/Wed. One unlikely Lot will be going to enzed. Amazing result. Interesting find at Trumpy yday before early Church - now id'd as 2 early bisque Gebruder Heubach Elspeth head+torso forms, nicely painted, re-fired, and further decorated. On verra.

2. Really glad to enjoy new girls vicariously, Frith - and all hens. Were & still living in France, les poules long-term would be daily joy. Names to be communicated asa ordained, please:-)

3. Enzed friends have had few days anchorage chez&, but off again today. J has new month's intensive nursing stint. F. may do some van re-furb/finessing here, prior to next extended jaunt: Scotland. given F's ancestry and all names, mhags, Van is already wonderfully fitted out, earns admiration/envy from those who see. J. knits/crafts as they drive + has been selling brilliantly made dollies for £25 each! Began when someone offered this, seeing one made for NZ grandchild. 10 sold since, all commissioned.

4. w-e had 7 clashing events, & was, of course, LOUDLY at The Alma, for Ireland losing to Oz, then recorded AB's glorying v. Les Bleus 52-11 [before albion lost to boks.] We played poorly in the 1st half, rightly down 11-8 at half-time. Final scoreline flattered us, but lovely to see McKenzie, Laumape, Iaone and Savea cut loose in 2nd half. All eyes in all internationals now are really on Japan for wc next year. Did you get to watch any., Mrs lw? & now in Round Ball avoidance mode for duration of other thing. Yday, after emergency dash to Scotsdales [it was heaving] for bugclear. During monring absence, minute green caterpillars [pics taken, showed, still non-i.d.] had leaf-stripped a decent-sized new, but established, shrub. Also required, more [expensive]birdie munch, En route back, Alma'd again to see beautifiul Rafa scrunch Thiem. So, so pleased. On screen to left, enzed girlies were wiping out oz in ballon ovale 7s, also nice:-)

4. Emporium turmeric rtc 29p[was £2.80] has a little sprout, so wiill shortly do this and we'll see what happens. Good stuff for ladies.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=grow+turmeric+sprout&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab. Also took rtc 79p strawbs - now 7 jars compôte, 2 already passed on, Rather good, fruit largely whole in lush jellyish suspension.

5. Compline and Church through last week. Some difficult news and dark memory for & and aware of new losses for 2 others. Strong, caring sermon yday. We are now in Service teams and on a learning curve.
    #
    bop - what is this about emporium drinkies no longer 'free'? Is there a new spend condition? & always works out best way to obtain her cappuccino. Butter is cheaper than elsewhere at W[£2.97/500g]

Will now go out, loads to do, see if seeing is poss!
    Take care, happy Mondays everyone. So good to see newbies really bedding in here:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:[URL="tel:01274760720"]01274 760720[/URL], freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunday pleasures,

Early start, literally up with the larks as they were singing above the field whilst bird feeders were being topped up.

A dull misty start change into a warm, summers day by lunch.

Parent woodpecker teaching juvenile that they can find peanuts from the feeder, we are blessed with our local birdlife.

The cathartic benefit of tears?, reading a recommended blog and the blogger was describing the last day with her elderly dog :( Boy did I cry, for quite awhile, buried sorrow from losing my girl for sure but felt better afterwards. I so miss my big, brown bear of a dog.

Coming back from our evening walk and the beautiful smell of the honeysuckle as you come through the garden gate.
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go on then, you got this far.

V Proper was the reduced Salmon yesterday for dinner, with buttered minted new tatties and peas. Home made sauce of parsley. Then Strawbs and the last of the chocolate ice cream. Tum was rubbed. BoPsie was checking on the cost of our groceries this morning. Opens the fridge and sees loads of wobbleade, and says it was not much food then. Poor BoPsie, her eyesight is failing as I had bought some filters because our water is carp. And we also now have vanilla ice cream as well. Cake was also eaten.

4 I remarked yesterday about the packed lunch box this weak. And boy is it packed and you should really get a glecksee. Today we has 2 digestives, proper ones, baton carrots, hand cut!, salad with ham. Cheese of Applewood. And a trifle. Proper foods and good for you.

3 Go on with it, I has said before about looking into the mirror and what you see. Now what happened in life that changed you? Force. Man from Boy. That was 82. You went from boy. Everything going, yet loss was thousands of miles away. Shift over and I met Steve. He said not to call him skid anymore. My comrade in arms brother had been lain on Sir Galahad. GRDSMN Marks. Now you see why not to call him skid! That was one change event!

2 August 90. Chaos. But you’re here today and can pick up your Daily Mail, know it is true by checking the one story in the Grauniadista. Out there again you did your job. Those around in KSA were not to know until September what had happened. Now you can carry on and read the Mirror.
    June 91. You have the near experience that changes you again. Pneumonia. Single Pneumonia. Drowning in your own iced bath every half hour! That was close then, but this is now! After all that you then have the real push over one. ICD fitted in 2012!

Then you’re too worried about today, and forget to be there tomorrow?

When you wash your pots, you don’t leave them forever on the draining bored? Same with your desk? So at the end of the day, clear your mind. That way you’re ready for tomorrow.

Be there tomorrow after you’re done with today!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • klew356klew356 Forumite
    745 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Managed to find the site i was visiting fine, and negotiated scary roads

Got some freebies from said site

Had a nice lunch and a cuddle with my pup before heading back to work

Todays my dads birthday

Going for tea tonight at mum and dads
  • MrsLurcherwalkerMrsLurcherwalker Forumite
    16.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Going walkies with Maisie doggie and her mum this afternoon on the common.

2) Combined scent of wild roses and wild honeysuckle growing in profusion all along the lanes when I walked Cookie this afternoon.

3) All my cookery books are packed in boxes ready to move and the bigger book cases are dismantled to take to DD1.

4) Permission from the pharmacy to raid their big recycling grunden bin for boxes whenever I want to, priceless!

5) Picked the first green beans from the polytunnel this morning, just a handful along with a handful of pea pods and some courgettes too for our supper.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lost a big post earlier on. Very intermittent internet this evening.

In brief. Busy day.

Dog walks & a new puppy visit.

Into town. New to me bedding washed, dried, ironed, on bed. £2.50.
    New to me lampshade for living room 'big light' £3.00 . Gorgeous green linen & lined trousers & cropped jeans also new to me.

Cleared airing cupboard. 2 big bags to be dropped of for charity tomorrow.
    Was quite ruthless.

Rehomed a dog bed that tenants had bizarrely left in loft & has since been in garage. Local kennels wanted it. Other doggy bedding went to new pup. Rewarded with cuddles.

Daughter all packed up. Off to Melbourne tomorrow. Ssssssh...I can almost hear the silence.

Walked a dog for a friend. He's much stronger than Haggis. Very exuberant!

In my own bed after 4 nights downstairs:)
  • Purple_kittenPurple_kitten Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 A couple of things of DF’s sold on the bay last night, one item picked up tonight by a lovely eccentric chap, seems apt. He’s also interested in something else we are selling but I need to research a price first.

2 Up early, after a very bad nights sleep and asthma attack, got on with cleaning the floors, re stocking birds, getting a washing load on the line, before stopping for a cup of tea enjoyed sitting out in the garden sun.

3 DH got the car’s aircon re gassed, the price of getting it done has gone up by another 27 pounds since we last did it very ouchy for a bit of luxury.

4 Had a HM burger for lunch from the freezer stock, it’s nice to be making progress with space in there, even uncovered some hidden Christmas pud last night.

5 I was dragged out for an animal shop, also picked up yeast for slug trap version 3, and milk for us, a very small shop.

6 Tidied up properly various bits and bobs and still a lot to do, but caravan bedding cleaned, put on and re loaded into the van. I’m digging down to the spare room mattress with the end goal to get it to the tip, now on list shampoo newly revealed carpet.

7 Meal planned from today’s leftovers for tomorrow.
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Hens OK this morning though had burst through the cardboard I had used to keep them in the sleeping quarters! 3 eggs plus 1 broken one.

2) Went to work a.m.

3) Took bigger son to town and dropped the remaining bits of the old porch in the skip on the way - we think over 140 bags of rubble has been moved in total!

4) Went to Sainsburys for a cup of tea plus shopping.

5) Did lots of cooking and food preparation. Made spag bol sauce, chilli, Spanish chicken and 6 lasagnes for the freezer. Also found some cooking apples and stewed them (now in the freezer) and am trying to do "sun dried" tomatoes in the oven.

6) Went to see the hens 9.30pm and it took about 20 minutes to get them in the sleeping end! One (black tail feather) comes up to talk to me all the time - very noisy. The sleeping quarters is now closed up with cardboard, more cardboard and a chair leant up against it.

7) Just watched 24 Hours in Police Custody with bigger son.

8) Changed the bunk beds so they have nice, fresh sheets tonight.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Monday pleasures

Another hot sunny day but with a cooling breeze.

Made a delivery of 2 large bags of stuff to the cs & had a peppermint tea & a nice long chat to cs lady.

Nice walk back from the cs past the nesting grebe

Watching the birdies feeding & bathing

Last night’s leftovers formed the basis of a lovely salad tonight - delicious :drool::drool:

Reading your pleasures

MrsSD