PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is currently lashing with rain and I just hope the garage doesn't flood as the garage is full,of stuff to sell...all set out.
    I know we badly need rain, just not tonight.

Work. Hurrah for Friday .

Met one of my lovely customers who I chat with and ended up going to cafe with her. Had a lactise free hot chocolate which was just delicious.

Home about an hour and a half later ...hello children.

Having pizza for tea.
  • I do not have to say any more, but have the same thought. The same since being in London with my chief on 19th July 1982. It was a Monday if you check! We were not there the following day …
    Blunt, but I am more humanist everyday and have been since attending my first non-religious funeral some time back now.

5 Well the wobbleade emporiums was visited yesterday for a session of gloat by the stokers from the mill. Curry was taken and heartenings were happening all around. Mill is silently quite this morning! Oh, the sugared donuts are still here. PM me and I can send one through the post!

4 As I was at the mill for all hours there is yesterday, that means the POETS event today will be exceedingly earlier. That means more time away from the boilers and more time for Wobbleade. Thing is, it will be earlier for one from the orifices as millwrights gang leader has wrote in large font about a pair of speccs being found. I have replied in a font size of 3 to quell his charms expressing that they’re not my goggles! On that, it is the blowing of trumpets from the parapets time at the mill. And seeing as we in the bolier room are the A Team. It is another gloat. Cup cakes all round!

3 And with more time after POETS, that means more time for BoP to BoP about doing good things to Biosphere 1 and those intent on staying upon it.

2 Night will be watching the cricket. They have apparently got some snooker ball to play with! Hopefully we will see it smashed for six points!

You do not see the male lion kill his own!
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,638 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying the cricket BOP for some reason Capt S's colour blindness means the pink ball against the green grass makes it hard for him to follow but he is persevering!!

I resisted temptation to take car through the effective but expensive wash in town and brought it home to do instead :money:

Remembering my friends birthday just in time to get card in post, she faces a nasty old op this time next week so doubly pleased didn't forget.

My old dog has finally given up on morning walks and just toodles around the garden instead, it's better than trying to entice her out and cutting it short when she's had enough.

Treated ourselves to breakfast out, creamy scrambled eggs and proper field mushrooms, yum.

New cookbook arrived, One Pound Meals by Miguel Barclays, good stuff.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2017 at 10:21PM
    Options
    On The Gallops, mit free cappuccino, watching thunderous theatre of rain before teaching time.

1. V. long old Spits day y'day. Not back till nearly 4 bells. Chaos down there+big dig+hammer noise+more dust miasma. Footfall massively down. & thankful for moderate £banking, with nogginlands in mind.

2. Surgical division of peace lily with bread knife success. Both look as big as original, itself a £land 50p rtc a few years ago.

3. Found another fern. Who knows whence came? Potted up before & came out, so any downpour timely.

4. Given said weather, v. glad unloading was achieved in dry, with lots of woodpecker calls. Then>CS with washed and ironed clothing. Managed only 2 No More Books:-). Roy Hattersley's "A Yorkshire Boyhood" and Kate Marsden: "On Sledge and Horseback to Outcast Siberian Lepers". Have never heard of her. Extraordinary life. 1892, one of first women elected to RGS, died 1931, invalid, back in Albion.

5. Won't be about for next big auction, but call from R during Spits, as &comes up as "person n/k., no postal advices" which R knew was a nonsense. All sorted. Fingers crossed for &'s Lot.
    #
    Glad you're back safe and sound, Mila.

Yes, & is cricket listening too, R4 LW, by choice.

Would have loved a ticket for the TMS Special match, but impossible to obtain in Fenny Notspot time.

Off to teach now.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1 I was in the office today, which was ok as lots to deliver before I left and managed to get my timesheet snaffled.:money:
    2 A gas engineer, turned up and fixed our new oven, I am exceedingly happy as it was driving me to distraction.¬
    3 I deep cleaned the bathroom and hoovered the upstairs.
    4 All of DHs bay things have sold, he is great at packing tetris, everything is paid and will be sent tomorrow, and lots more to list.
    5 We have ordered in a sneaky pizza tonight with cash back and 50pecent off.:o
    6 I’ve just fitted in a size 14 dress, well that was before pizza, but it’s is amazing news for me, but I a bit self-conscious but happy.:T
    7 I bought some luxury white hot chocolate drink in a sale which arrived.
    8 I’ve put blackberry’s and brandy together, looking forward to seeing what happens.:D
    9. More talks with DB and doctors, I’m not sure it’s a pleasure but it’s nice to be there.
    10. An amazing thunder storm hit and went. Nice to have a proper storm.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Friday)

1) Had a bit of a tidy up.

2) My former colleague came round at 11 and we went out for lunch - how civilised!

3) Popped back to feed the hens then went to look round a house she is renovating.

4) Got my hair cut.

5) Bought a celebration card in advance (and with hope) for bigger son's results. Got brother in law's birthday present.

6) Bought an Indian takeaway for tea.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    For yesterday

1) Cookie dog went home closely followed by a phone call from Maisie doggies mum to see if we could cover the day for Maisie so an extra unexpected 'doggie day' was lovely.

2) Pressed another 3 gallons of juice from donated apples in the afternoon.

3) Fab sweetcorn from the allotment, they are so sweet and tender, the best we've ever grown. More coming for lunch today.

4) Really good nights sleep last night due to much doggie walking lots of 'outside time' in the garden doing various jobs.

5) Meal out this evening to look forward to, not sure where yet but possibly Wagga Mammas.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 August 2017 at 11:08PM
    Options

I would thank individuals for their kind thoughts & words but am just home & rather desperately looking forward to my own bed.
    The Trossachs are still standing! And the next bit of "holiday" includes neurologists, mother-in-law & GCSE results, so no pressure but at least Less Driving. Hurrah to all who have passed, so far!

OS pleasures recently
    Sharing a cheerful grouch with another camping mum as to how the young fail to heed the wisdom of their elders, notably their Mothers.

"Do I look sophisticated?" Queries the teen under a heap of jackets & coats being lugged. Who Else is camping that he wants to be sophisticated?! As I blandly reassure him, I am most intrigued! [No idea, days laster.]

The largely benevolent laughter at me for bringing thermos flask, thermos cup but not the thermos lid, ahem. "Better brew up, then" was the consensus! (Using most of the milk before it became a biohazard.)

The Scottish version of Mothers Pride comes in a *vigorously* tartan wrapper - it's impressive!

The child who Finished the Sugar is taking a certain amount of entirely deserved stick for it. ["Sweetie" the *kindest* reference.]

The Perseids were glorious, but watching for rain to trickle down the tent is a similar brand of fun & easier to predict. [So we had quite a bit of practice? We also had waterproofs!]

Boys bantering, one tried for an under table kick & came second to the table... Ahem.

I couldn't stand tea in tiny plastic camping cups Any Longer. I went out to find a proper sized cup & fell for a Denby teapot (in aid of cats) as well. My family are resigned, a visiting Frenchman is delighted to see the English are every bit as eccentric even on camp in Scotland as he'd heard & life is rain drenched but glorious. The OS pleasure is in the tea & the grins at spectacle of teapot...

Two chaps are indulging in nicotine. The pipe is an old ally against the midges (& reliable friend.) The cheroot is an experiment/gesture to manhood/idiosyncrasy & our hero is struggling a bit. Buying them, ID clutched ready, was a high treat!

Crannog Centre every bit as wonderful as hyped!

Glad cries from husband at egg mayo sandwich With No Cress. He cites it as an example of Scotland's superiority over London & the South....

IrnBru going in the wrong direction as child baited by father (& the rest of us, ahem). Owch with the ribs laughing this hard.

One mosquito defeated by the breakfast fire - got drawn in & burned.

"Is that a clean T shirt?" "yes, yesterday was Star Wars" - I forecast identifying castle photos by the T shirts...

You can still buy Barr Lemonade in glass bottles. (They make a glorious clamour in the recycling bin, too. No deposit scheme in operation in Stirling.)

"You've got to be careful with yoghurt - it's shifty." My Greek yoghurt has behaved impeccably while refrigerated (it has never occurred to me to query it's conduct) but I can see yoghurt drinks might get up to mischief unrefrigerated. The *perils* of camping!

Listening to the young racking up Life Experiences. Having bought what may be one of the most expensive whiskies (by volume, a dolls house size bottle from Stirling Castle) I have ever encountered, the lad is shaking with determination & revulsion. A hardened toper, he is not! Also not at risk of dehydration - chugging at water to wash the taste away! As I struggle to keep a straight face. [OS as lad paid for all.]

"We've so much gas, it's unreal!" "Yes, just illuminate X" (who has been rendering confined spaces unpopular).

"When you go to Hell, there'll be no tea!" My son knows my weak points.

In car entertainment - the Bagpuss soundtrack! [That the lads both sing along & cringe make me giggle.]

At Arbeia Roman festival, admiring skulls I heard superior grandparenting - child chirped "hit his head!" a wholly accurate observation of a battle injured skull. Above, most of side of skull missing & granny indicated same & said "didn't go to the dentist." Very Pensive Child!

Got talking horse & lost an hour happily admiring & learning of the development of the chamfron Roman horse head armour from major collector & enthusiast. Ongoing dividend of Turma attendance & vehement approval from weeks back - family slightly disbelieving I was Listening as I can chat (for far too long, in their opinion.)

Tried to buy tablet for work colleagues - not stocked in Sunderland (too far south, fuel break) so had to buy shortbread instead. Youngest has offered me one of his seven [admitted to] packets - I must accept while he still has plural. What premonition did I have, that we have a Dentist's Appointment this coming week?

Right. Love you all but really must pass out.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, how we are enjoying waiting for Thursday, DfV...

Pleasures for today (Saturday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well and flying up to eat blackberries and raspberries.

3) Letting brother's dog out and feeding dad's hens while they are on holiday. Their hens are not kept to the exacting specifications that ours are... suffice to say that tonight they have had more food than normal, are on fresh grass and (for the first time) are tail deep in the soft chopped bedding that my hens have! I'm sure something will be said but never mind.

4) Went to Hereford after for charity shops (nice Man Utd t shirt for smaller son) and lunch in my favourite caf!.

5) Ludlow for more charity shops but didn't find anything.

6) Watched Casualty - set in a refugee camp tonight. I (accidentally) found myself in one, a year ago almost to the day - it might actually be today - on the border between Switzerland and Italy.

7) Have finished painting the stairs, at least for now. It could really do with a third coat.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello from inbetween continued sorting and about to start the ironing. It's been the most beautiful day, suns been shining, sky has been blue, not warm but pleasant, was a very chilly start.

Nice chat with friend from home, her daughter has many plans for my time when I'm home!

Nice chat with niece and her daughter also has many plans for when I'm home ! Lots of these involve the dog! Haggis is much looked forward too...our other friends daughter can't wait to meet him, never mind Auntie M!

Today woulda/shoulda/coulda been my silver wedding, it's been a hard day and I've eaten my way through a packet of Bourbon biscuits ....but that's better than a bottle of bourbon!

Sold my dresser, my corner unit and a console table . No room back home. More money in the pretty glass jar. Three nice sets of people picked them up. I've been having a few time wasting people so nice when they do turn up.

I am just surrounded by stuff! Far too much. Sold a bit at garage sale ,the coldest and wettest day of the month. More money for the jar.

Went out for dinner with our Chinese friends. Their treat . Did not cause offence this time by offering to pay. If they ask us they pay. Lovely Thai meal. I had a Massuman curry which was nice. Then I chose a pandan custard thai pancake that was not so nice , swapped with DD1 who thought it was lovely but she would have just one more (big) bite out her banana crepe! Much of the usual in my country / in your country stuff!

I didn't know my dog could howl ...we put him in my bedroom as he was barking every time someone came in drive ...hooooooooowl!
    We took him down to neighbours and he played with his BFF Dusty, then Dusty had to go out and all we could here from 4 doors up ...hooowl!
    Stopped once Dusty came back! What a woose...think he may be hoarse by the time he gets to UK!

Have a lovely day x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure