We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
Comments
-
Oh, @Highdays = my favorite place to visit. I try to stay at the Old Black Lion Inn when I used to go, but sometimes they were booked up and I had to go elsewhere. I think I bought all of the World War II home front books in town the first time I was there.
3 -
All well thanks for asking Mhags, just got out of the habit of daily posting, must try harder!
For yesterday,
Bright and sunny start but definitely feeling much more autumnal with a chill in the air first thing, Capt S is making rumbling noises about testing the heating out 🙈
Few chores then headed off to Uni City, dropped DB’s glasses off after he left him in my car the night before then on to large GC to meet up with bf for spring bulb buying.
Armed with various vouchers we made our choices and then had a wander around, much of space was closed due to festive decorations going up, good grief not out of September yet!
Home, quick change then over to see my big girl, fetched her in, bit of work over poles then a pamper session. Rain had started by then so cosy in stable with my horse.Quiet evening at home after couple of busy days, watched a couple of old TOTP’s.
8 -
It is a snowball!
Busy things are at the Docks!
LT I must search for the Noddy Holder picture. Bah Humbug. Has yous noticed them emporiums are only after your cash!
Onwards.
I is nows 5 weaks post op and my (cannot mention it hear) is still plastered! Bit not used to has this thing between cheaks of me bum! BoP can handle it!
Dinner was served!
has the sweet and scour Pork last evening with fresh poodles all stirred up with toenail onions and peppers. Tasty.
Then BoPsie has her GrapeWhine and I has me WobbleJuices as we watched a team I used to frequent years back. #COYHM. Finished off with Chelsea losing and thinking my old comrade was not here to be gloated at!
You nows it coming!
Yep, a long time I has not told yous lot about proper brakefests. Today is no different. Cumberlunds Snorkers, best back (from farm shop) with poached egg, proper toast, not that so called sour dough carp that is not, mushrooms and SpagYetti! Washed down inn a mug of tee!
Buzby sends a 💚
I work from home so my cat can be fed on demand!8 -
Up early.
Went to retail park with DD1 and her partner. They had got me a beautiful print so I needed a frame…only when I got home noticed the frame doesn’t have a hangy bit for portrait mode! And then I had bought a little rechargeable lamp…or it might have been at one time. Got it home to discover it had a teeny tiny sticker on it that said light doesn’t work but still cute…excuse me? ? £9 for cute but useless…will be going back!
And then we had to go to big supermarket…yikes! So busy! Too busy. But got what I was after. And got some very RTC autumn bedding plants so I was pleased with that! Just to plant them sometime!
And home. Hello dog…he had looked so sad when we were leaving.
Walked up to meet DD2 and The Baby. Who were here for the afternoon.
And I was in the kitchen. We are having an early Christmas dinner tomorrow! So I made mini pavlovas , the base for cheesecake. Some crumble mix to probably freeze but butter and flour were at BB date so didn’t want to waste. Then made mince pies with DD1. And then may have eaten one! And yes I had my Christmas music on and had a dance with the dog and a dance with The Baby.
And they’ve nipped out so all is quiet. Just dragged chairs out the garage to set the table for tomorrow. Have a few others coming. We are doing a secret Santa so I need to wrap my gift. And have put some little wooden trees up and will put some bunting up and that will do! I have RTC crackers for the table. This is so we are doing a bit of Christmas with DD1 & Partner…they’ll be road tripping through Australia!
And that’s been about it! I am so used to my own space now…just saying 😆😆
It’s been a day of heavy showers but got a window of dry and blowy to get a washing out.8 -
No excuses. Just huge thanks for keeping on posting as I have managed to still read!
Frith - all good sleep is a serious pleasure! A Folding Chessboard?! Ah, sausage stew, yum. Washing on the line a special OS MS pleasure. Brother & mum on tour incl Lindisfarne, beautiful. Social with grumpy people? Oooh, Ludwig! Sewing machine now working? Football truly baffling but uplifting. See anything inspirational in the open garden? Gosh yes "Mariana Trench" is fine given what else it could be. Babysitting nephew And niece! Deffo Look at Octoberfest brews, when Fates allow. Beaten three times at chess? (The 'Mummy Manuals' Never Warn you about this. (Or so much else...)) Excellent planning to get the most out of Heritage Open Days.
DundeeDoll - belated happy birthday! Visual Abstracts googled & Cor! And oooh Tattoo. Despatches & matches - so much love & strength to all involved! You do Killer Sudoku?! Awed respects! You cook risotto And use Stilton - I really have not the patience! Just William is glorious escapism. Had never heard of Sharja, but its 3rd after Dubai & Abu Dhabi. Only half a suitcase of Tunnocks? Oooh red moonset. Well, what an opportunity for seasonal shopping, even if you yearned to sleep! Then a day watching films chosen from the menu provided by the airline, and Your Own Bed.
mhagster - weather, blackberries & a teeny walk with the sniffs! Prompt feedback is really helpful. Hurrah new boots. Phones & photos, ulp, but yikes yes infant one armful, tackle required 'load that elephant'... So right to strip bed & immediately remake with clean stuff as counting on line drying can be a bit chancy. Hurrah mobile library. "Bathtime and bedtime stories" are magical times. As is the quiet after. Very thorough optician, good. DD1 is fed macaroni cheese, excellent! "the Aunties have spent the day with The Baby." Why do I sense Loads of photos & some further jetlag? Two meetings, two lots of writing & meantime, Aunties bathing Baby. Yes, soaked, as is fine & traditional. And now a pocket Christmas so the Aunties can share the family traditions as they write their own?!
Happycas - Suitcase Tetris?! I'd not bet on September weather - it can go bonkers.
Highdays - oh yes the back to school is both a pleasure & an internal lurch. Brass on the bandstand? (Always loved that, now with extra curiosity!) Well done Middleson managing to go from unemployed to in a better job in under an hour. (A good agency is a godsend, but being a good employee really helps.) Eep dentist stuff but very right to recover gently. So 10 days in Herefordshire, & time in Hay-on-Wye. (Got a husky minion to lug your new books?)
BoP - great to see you, hurrah wedding, treble hurrah BoPsie being cancer free (again) & healing & restoration to health to you too! (House move As Well?!...) Rich Teas?! <shudders> Ooh custard... A blown gasket, oh BoP! Good to hear you both still out on the razzle! Good to hear Proper Foods taken on board.
Purple kitten - just so sorry to hear Rhubarb & other poorlies passed. Delighted the rest are monitoring you carefully & that you too have orange thread.
ampersand - stunning grapes! Rosemary for Remembrance, absolutely.
weenancyinAmerica - "all of the World War II home front books in town" - better souvenirs than toy dragons, even if you have to explain why Woolton Pie was such a thing.
LaineyT - ooh spring bulb choices, but yes the C stuff is out Already.OS Pleasures recently (ahem)
Bank holiday religious observances (Thou Shalt Garden) met - lilies fingertip weeded, bindweed ripped out & the little fruit trees cleared of its grasp. (Now sprawled with tea & aches & nettle stings!)
Well, really, Playmobil won’t sell me a saxophone player I have to buy the whole ‘circus band’. Or wait for the fairy Princess advent calendar which really does not float my boat! (Whereas the starter kit bank robbery leaves me happily giggling for weeks.)
Watching King Haakon of Norway’s speech & realising his father didn’t make a wedding anniversary by one day. His son recognised it & publicly cherished his mother. Triggering but love doesn’t stop.
Youngest cooking chilli & getting plain wraps to unglue from each other with his “sultry touch”. Me awaiting mighty curious! (Apparently only one & that stale. Aye…)
Sunbeam Talbot on the commute - lovely lines on a vintage vehicle. Not the convertible - Manchester in September not a reliable mix….Dropped the price of a coffee into Wikipedia as it’s useful & I prefer it as a not-for-profit.
Midsomer with an iffy character chomping breakfast off Denby. Reference book two floors away but shape of cup distinctive!
Coaxing & cheering on a trainee through prep for an analysis test. Both of us happily disrupted by news of the Norwegian royal family (as their BBC equivalent has no such black tie & stuff upper lip protocol, & their expert is frankly weeping that the new Queen Mette-Marie has been re-admitted to hospital.) We both wish her the best of health in this very difficult time. (And would cradle dowager Queen Sonja in love & respect.)
Enjoying Mycroft’s dry ‘brother dear’ (as opposed to dear brother) & sketching that sequence into possible WhatsApp messages. I do love how Mark Gatiss can convey so much with phrasing alone…
I get a bit wry when I am required to wait to get software & the screen reads “no anoying ads” - I can be annoyed by bad spelling, too!Old Uni mate cheerfully posting month in monochrome photos on Facebook - reminds me that black & white captures textures in a way colour just doesn’t…
GP messaged me ‘book your flu jab!’ & the appointment system reads “no available appointments at the minute”…. (Phoned, & will be jabbed in October. Ah well! Youngest will be dosed in September & mum soon too I hope.)
Cornet lesson included a tune that sounded of singing & beer - turns out a traditional Morris tune! Also a scrap of Elvis for me to learn. (No carols until October.)
Band happily welcomed back our leader after a fortnight of shingles (& substitutes trying without the full scores!) & whilst it was vigorous work, we could hear us all getting better. (As well, we’ve a concert in 3 weeks.)
Aw, mum diving into Good Housekeeping.We know a horologist who makes house calls. The grandfather clock is chiming correctly again & I love winding it up & setting it to the right time & hearing the tick tock again.
Had to explain what a glue gun is & mum intrigued but dubious about one ‘for repairs’. (We’re an Araldite household.) Then a Bundt tin - if she wants a cake with a hole in it, she bakes & reaches for a sharp knife… She says she “learns so much” from me - no, Good Housekeeping introduces her to new words & I translate…
I have said before I am so lucky in my sons? Youngest seeing me lurch with groceries growled “make with the sitting” and is now putting groceries away where he can find things (then cook with them) & has the kettle on for a cup of tea for me.
Even with her hearing aids in & fresh batteries, it is sometimes quicker to communicate by gesture. My pantomime of “knees clenched, anxious expression” drew a chuckle & emptied the bathroom faster than if I’d said ‘queue…’ My sisters talk louder. I pull sillier faces. (That I model patience & humour should make my old age more restful with my sons.)
Idly looked up Apollonaris water, startled to find it (a) real & (b) as bizarrely exotic as implied. Fiction can be strange!Son left carrots & parsnips to get around to, so I peeled & chopped them (two different sizes) & he was startled amused & pleased “you got it right!”… All makes the cooking he does to cherish his grandmother simpler.
Chuckling with mum & carer over Good Housekeeping & how this month the clothing & posture are dreadful, so unlike what we expect! Also the weather - today sunlit Autumn but Tuesday forecast seriously Wet & the consensus is better to know than be startled in a bikini… (Not sure we have bikinis, but the concept is chuckled over.)
Interesting to see where mum’s memory is a bit fuzzy, “eclectic” is new to her.
Carer warmly approving of Youngest’s cooking & general care of mother - I pointed out I was doing my bit with mum both as I love her but also to teach the lads what I hoped for in later years & she howled with laughter!
Met a new way to respond to a bad situation. Not yell (etc) but stay curious “help me understand”. Hear what’s triggered what you see that you didn’t know. (Scream into pillow later if needed) Can I keep my temper well enough?!How I do love price comparison sites! Little sister Not Believing insurance renewal quote blinking scalping was required to produce better more accurate figures & lo. Evidence of blood! All sent to attorney for decision.
How many women does it take to get on a pair of earrings? All three of us in play….
Youngest has ingested “buffalo dip” - intriguingly smoky he opined. My imagination was struggling, having seen a sheep dip in two contexts but never once considered how to cleanse a buffalo.
Startled Middleson with news that where you die influences where you can be buried & how much that costs. That I plan a columbarium at the next house so when I fall off my perch, three of us can all go together & have one civilised headstone. About which there will be rules at the cemetery. (He’s not been to one, how would he know?!)
A shower is almost as good as a full English for convincing your body you had enough sleep.Getting stressed at assurance “parcel delivered!” messages when it hadn’t been, then tap on door. Weather not cooperating with immediate wash & line dry of yet more linen (I am trying to stop!)
There’s a bear in a chair in my office. I am contemplating a hat for him. This is a complex pleasure as he was my grandfather & then father’s bear & every reasonable hat in the house was Himself’s or the Lad’s. (I will not doff the Youngest for the bear.)
Dear heavens the Chinese GT race & crash, the raw heroism of Loek Hartog extricating the very crashed & beginning to singe competitor Ollie Milroy from his burning Ferrari & hauling him to safety. Which is what the race organisers should have been doing.
I was doing my practice (had almost finished) when the second valve stopped working. The top cap of the second valve won’t screw back in, so have sent damsel in distress (3rd cornet) text… instructor “don’t worry about it” but I do!
Washed linen, pegged it & the heavens opened. Aye well, better day tomorrow.Placing purple iris seed with colleagues. Interesting to find who’s in for a possibly three year long bet.
Pegged out the linen & just left it to dance with sunlight. Carefully folded it back in, so the inevitable creases look intentional & geometric. The daisy yellow stands out amongst the blues & grey & terracotta - Youngest is moved to approve!
Colleagues scattered to various locations (& me suddenly finding two monitors Nowhere Near Enough) but counted them all back like poultry. Manager thoroughly impressed by my grip on who’s where (& it’s a mix of scout & mum…)
I got a new cornet! Loaned like the old one & as the top cap needs specialist treatment (I suspect welding) but my instructor likes the tone I’m getting from this one, so I obey.
Middleson out of hospital & ravenous - probably a good sign!‘Snack’ of exercise clearing the rubbish. Eeesh, how did we let it get this bad? Still, looking a bit better.
Popped into supermarket & met fellow scout leader now mainly delivering first aid training & my lad is the champion example of what to do when a scout has gone rigid & is falling? (Classic start to a seizure.) He’s thought of nearly every day, & is teaching scouts & scout leaders to stay calm, mind the airway, & relocate any tools or other scouting implements. A pretty good way to be remembered, teaching others.
Brother has watched over brother, & I am now separating them with their heartfelt thanks. Having conducted a vigorous negotiation about fruit & health & “oh, why didn’t you Lead with grapes?!”
Oceans 12 & the dawning realisation ‘that was Matt Damon?!’ - the image I had of him in 6th form was younger bonier & in black & white (stunning!)
Ye gods, the satisfaction of driving through a complex junction smoothly can be squished by a car behind you with over-bright lights & a scorched ego. Still, we’re home despite.Youngest clearly glad to return to the usual stand. “Hitler was less demanding than him.” Middleson has work to do on his man management skills!
Brief cornet practice & yes, instructor wholly right - even doing scales it sounds smoother, calmer, melodious (or maybe I have learned a bit in 7 months?!)
Heard door clunk as Youngest went off on a walk - a bit of absolute quiet alone in natural light with no barriers & no demands will help unkink the strain of being the responsible adult for the last 24 hours.
Band and the magic spell of understanding with my cornet shattered. Or my lip got tired faster with the different mouthpiece, or every instrument has its own response to your embouchure, or last night was just lucky. Today I coined “wronger” to describe how a single line of a Morris tune had gone & there was a brief but spirited debate as to whether ‘wrongest’ was a thing. Still didn’t stop me having fun, and oh my 'Crazy little thing called love' is Lots of fun when it’s been well arranged for brass!
Midsomer had a couple of roaring eccentrics one of whom turned out to be a bomb maker. Led my sons to query how many classic charismatic bomb makers had I met & we shrugged - the militaria world is hock deep in niche-educated eccentrics & we happily got along with most of them. (Who else gets excited about a heliograph tripod?!)There is a strange reassuring tranquillity in a shopping list. Especially crossing the ‘we already have that’ stuff off. Argh, autocorrect ‘Green for Middleson’ reminding me of milk on shopping list promptly rendered “Green fur” - such prejudice…
Getting queries as to what said emerging from anaesthetic (for which we were not present) & so tempted to suggest son drowsily crooning Dolly anthems… Restrained myself, but oooh the could have said opportunities passed up so far!
Sister teasing me about my apparently detailed knowledge of Norwegian royalty “you do like a royal family” (well yes, well-documented, abundantly photographed & how they’re related explained in most contexts. That the current Crown Princess is a kick-boxing engineer just adds spice.)
Sat waiting for Youngest to be flu jabbed & trying not to boggle at the unisex incontinence products on the shelving.
Fellow museum volunteer off for a haircut as about to go walking in Slovakia with 8 women & doesn’t “want to look untidy”. My eye cross slightly at the idea of a hillwalking harem but he’s looking forward to it…Challenged to play the Morris tune I got all the right notes in the right order (yesterday night practice paying off!) instructor so delighted he didn’t require repeats or a faster tempo. This week. Fellow pupil made to play with the music stand 10’ away focused on the sound more than the dots & it sounded wonderful, “serenely fluent” I said. Gosh is That going to be heard again, as various band members both agreed & roared with laughter.
Read a post about reading to babies & how it makes a significant difference before they’re 3. Hadn’t realised how much good reading aloud did.
Scouts! And helping initiate them into the delights of the 3 prong plug. Good to know every night has at least One noisemaker, though how they gravitate to the same corner I do not understand…
Rightmove has me giggling - “spacious rear yard” (& I’m looking to move four fruit trees & a washing line…)
Found some (ahem) past by date mesophilic cheese culture sachets & thinking give it a go? Google says start with a litre of milk at the correct temperature & I’m thinking ooooh…. And also, really? Is this necessary?Band! Rehearsing with the Senior band & some bits I can absolutely play, & others equally not. So much fun, even as a Very third cornet!
Health, Strength, Love, & Courage to all as have need. Healing has a clear path, grief does not, but both require compassion of self, of others.
8 -
For yesterday,
Busy morning with bread making, bed changing etc, added blanket to foot of bed as nights are definitely getting chillier, love the seasonal variations in this country.
Still picking tomatoes but getting to the end now so unlike last year don’t think the windowsills will be full of green ones awaiting ripening. The Vanessa variety has been very prolific but tumbling toms disappointed.
Afternoon spent with my big girl, she’s on antihistamines at the moment as suspect some kind of allergy, vet is coming Tuesday to do her teeth so will ask then.
Listening to DN’s latest podcast, he was interviewing his Sudanese pal whose stories of life in his war torn country could make your hair curl! Counting blessings and all that.
Another point away from home for United, decent start to season in new, higher league.
6 -
- Just back via a scheduled return p+r from Addenbrookes and another MRI. Took a long time again. Initially had wondered if Sunday appt. was a hoax or scam. No, and very grateful once more. Lovely staff at every stage.
- It's been a largely warm, sunny day.
- Today's HC felt special at every point, readings, address,🙏, also with laughter and lovely cake afterwards!😋
- Helped all yesterday at FOMRL End-of-Summer Party, book sale, fundraiser, lots of games, yummy refreshments and marvellous live music. Think we've probably done pretty well. The 6 musicians loved their bottle bags, which & was asked to label.
- Then made it to The Alma in time to watch most of the match, &'s Black Ferns demolished..…Mhags, look away now....Scotland, 66-14(32-14 at halftime.) But for &, 🖤🏉Kia Kaha Arohanui!!!🏉🖤
CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET
6 -
Let’s see how fast I can write as I don’t have much charge!
Up early after a very late night…we sat up chatting till late not realising the time.
As soon as it was light dog bit and I headed down to CP and had a lovely walk.
Home.
Prepped for our festive meal. We had chicken with soft cheese and bacon, roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnips, little chipolata sausages , gammon joint and cranberry sauce. And the yorkies had been left in the oven too long ( someone was later arriving )We then had our secret Santa gifts to open and we all did it one at a time. Jokes from the crackers. And just lovely chatter and laughter.
For pudding we had a do it yourself pavlova as some like it with cream some don’t, some like fruit some don’t. So just made individual pavs and filled bowls with toppings and I made the most delicious crunchie cheesecake!
Then we all moved to the living room. And then everyone left and I went sigh! I was offered help to tidy up but I actually quite like that time to myself clearing up although the offer is always appreciated.And then I’ve just sat in the quiet of my family room, listened to the robin singing on the fence. And just been quiet!
8 -
Pleasures for today (Sunday)
1)Smaller son scalded his hand yesterday (carrying gravy) but ran it under water for ages and only one part is blistered.
2) My brother and I went to a local NT site as they had a free heritage open day.
3) We carried on after for a pot of tea at the little airport.
4) My brother took my sewing machine away and his friend will mend it.
5) Watching The Detectorists again now.
7 -
For yesterday,
Early morning cuppa and cuddles with C dog.
Breakfast then headed over to the yard to see my big girl, medication mixed into small feed with added apple juice to make it more palatable then headed out to her field to see her.
Sat on her hay box and chatted online with my DN over in Brisbane, it was a bright, sunny day and a good view across the small valley as per pic.
Home, cheats roast dinner with stuffed chicken thighs followed by Portuguese custard tarts.
Much lazing on sofa reading before we headed out for walk around the fields, waxing quarter moon rising in evening sky.
7
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards







