PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wednesday pleasures, a vet kind of day!

Firstly vet school came to take blood test off horse girlie ahead of move, senior plus three students who honestly looked no older than 15, sign of my aging I guess. They were very efficient in taking what they needed and all complimentary about my pony which any owner loves.

Old dogs turn next, she has had lump come up on front paw so they took sample and will let me know, pleasure is that she wasn't too distressed.

A much needed hot cross bun and cup of tea.

Caught up this week's quizzes, UC and Only Connect.

A HWB in bed and listening to the wind howling outside.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, we have no heating or hot water until next Wednesday at the earliest, yesterday I found water on the kitchen wall under the airing cupboard again and the plumber thinks we have a pinhole in the hot water tank in the airing cupboard so all is drained down and no hot water, replacement tank will hopefully come next week so pleasures

1) The wood stove which also gave us 3 x kettles of nice hot water yesterday for various uses.

2) The amount of wood we have wombled over the years means we can run the stove 24 hours a day if we need to and it won't cost us a penny.

3) A bowl bath this morning using one kettle of boiling water gave as thorough a wash as the shower does, it's lovely to be warm and clean.

4) The tiny fan heater that lives in the spare room for guests was pulled out and used to heat up the bathroom before my bowl bath and carefully turned off and taken out before anything involving water happened in there, blissfully warm.

5) The knowledge that whatever the weather does I can still keep us warm and comfortable without the heating or hot water as we can have lots of warm drinks, hot water bottles if we need them and nice warm meals, sheepskin slippers for cosy toes and enough layers of clothes to put on will see us through until the problem is fixed.
  • VL Remember rule of BoP No: 24. Always write out you thoughts in day of awe, then leave it there. Wait 24 hours and decide then if it is the right thing. Only then on reflection, and not haste, do it. The second part of Rule 24, if you see that it was not right, throw it away and never tell anyone you did so not!

5 Jobsworth at the council, who insist that we use the local pig swill, yet they are unable to collect as the facility is not there, has stickered our bin for being filled with only peel and tea leaves, for not being correct. Well the jobsworth, of which I pay his wages, needs to realise that I put it there for him to collect. If he is so officious and vulgar like his colleagues in Social care etc, he will get the short thrift and I will put it in the waste bin instead. Avoid. And of course the fact they leave these strewn everywhere after they empty it into the fill waste, leaves the rest of us told! Nothing is ever said about the cheese on toast cardbored boxes!

4 The boudoir is readied for house chess starting tomorrow after BoP has had enough of the mill. Should be fun and the snorker fest on Saturday should keep all entertained as well. Next week is scheduled for the bed. Raffles is not impressed!

3 As yous not heard about the Box of Lunch from BoP for a while, I thought I’d let you know what is good in it today. Proper cheese, xmas cake, cakes of Jaffa, salad. Alll proper, better than the silly thing on the radio at the moment giving you this and that.

2 Nite BoP is camera at the club. Usual rules and after the run through on Tuesday, would go seamlessly again!

Tomorrow is the final instalment of the wisdom of BoP for this weak!
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    1 Popped into the range and picked up something for the scrapbook, and picked up some blubs while there, had a great result, I queried the price as I was expecting 3 for a fiver, only to have a lady come over and say they had all been reduced to 50p! Rather than the fiver each they were showing as phew and wow.
    2 For yesterday, we had a meeting to arrange the funeral honestly you couldn’t have said more that dad decided his own funeral date, computers all went down, next the 3 available dates were all booked by the time they were back up, a miraculous cancellation came up and we snapped it up, so I must admit it was both tears and laughter all around everyone said he’s obviously directing it.
    3 What I feel should be pleasure 1-5 is a whole 8 hours sleep for the first time since, and I feel so much better for it.
    4 Shopping on Thompson and Morgan turned into window shopping as what I want is out of stock and I suspect it will be full price when it’s available again.
    5 I needed to order something online, remembered to go via Quidco, and checked for a voucher as checking out and found an active 20 percent off as it’s my first order.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thursday pleasures :
    Snow still lying. Walk with dog first thing. Arran was stunning.

Huge walk with son and dog, via dropping off a prescription. Got absolutely soaked. Rain, sleet, snow, rain. Some idiot had knocked down all the snowmen at the castle.

Back to pharmacy ( via tesco RTC tulips and RTC cake) , so grateful for free prescriptions in Scotland. Not every thing available so need to go back tomorrow .

Read for a wee while and then snoozed.

Made macaroni with some bacon bits . Son had spag Bol from freezer.

Nice chat with niece on phone.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PK - a funeral cancellation??? It's a miracle...:p

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Got some good work done - getting back into it now
    2. Lunch with pals - good to offload
    3. builder has finished :T starting to get there
    4. Had hair done - lots chopped off and the roots dyed
    5. Dinner on my owny as others gone to MiL's for dinner. Leftover beef stew. yum

and today

1. Wind hadn't done too much damage - but we have a ridge tile off. Luckily it's the end one and landed without breaking so OH thinks he can refix
    2. Yoga - arms and upper body work today. I think i will ache
    3. Got a parcel posted, hopefully a few pennies for some books
    4. More work done.
    5. Begg for tea. Might watch a Mad men later - now I've finished the crown it's my new binge watch. I love Netflix..:D

Have a good evening all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,163 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today:

1) No damage here from the storm last night but a sheet of tin was blown from the roof of my brother's shed and hit his car :-/

2) Raced to Sainsburys this morning (we were there by 7.45!) to buy smaller son's catering ingredients. Only to discover the practical lesson is next week.

3) Had breakfast in Sainsburys and did shopping (after dropping him off).

4) Did various jobs round the house.

5) Fed the hens and did an hour of digging down there.

6) Picked bigger son up from college and he said it is the first day there that he has really enjoyed! It was his practical day today and the class all went to McDs for lunch. He has never been out with any of them before.

7) Bigger son now at games night with my brother and brother in law so smaller son and I have been watching TV and not achieving much.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    My os Pleasures for today:

1. Clear blue sky BUT the Bird feeder is on the ground again, again no damage. DH has now removed base & staked it into the ground. Fingers crossed the wind doesn't Knock it over for a fourth time.

2. Three large bags to the new cs. Natalie was really surprised that I turned up with so much stuff (especially as I came on the bus!)

3. My surprise that Natalie’s favourite donations were the things I was a bit reticent about donating - a rather grubby sewing box & a larger grubby sewing box with legs that needs upcycling/repairing. She loved the fact that they were both made in England.

4. Chatting with Natalie over a mug of peppermint tea - not too bad even without sugar.

5. Meeting Natalie’s co-founder Jay - a very enthusiastic young man. I really hope that they are successful in their venture. They are trying to regenerate the area (parade of shops that have been closed for 9 years) & get back some good old style community spirit. Already have a knitting group, links with a women’s refuge & plans to have coffee mornings etc.

6. Getting home and starting a new bag for cs.

7. Using another poster’s (can’t remember who it was) recipe for chicken, bacon & mushroom pie. Served with roasted frozen veg & leek & potato mash. It was absolutely delicious 😋. The 2nd half of the pie will be eaten tomorrow Plus have a two person portion of filling for the freezer. Yippee!

Have a good night one & all.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Folks,

RL very busy this week!

Last few days......

1. Went to see Molly’s Game with a friend. She fell asleep!

2. Darkest Hour with DH and DS2. I fell asleep!

3. Craft Club with DF. We had a Balti and a catch up before. Altered a pair of trousers for DH........too tired to feel sociable really. :(

4. Got a nice email from my boss, thanking me for a piece of work.

5. I have made a big effort to make HM food this week, but fridge is still stuffed with veg!

MrsSD I have a sewing box on legs we brought back when we cleared DM’s flat. It must be from the 60’s, and very grubby, but I think I can recover it. It is on my to do list :rotfl:

Have a lovely day :)
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Have been in poorly land with continuing chest infection, sorry for not posting. Recent pleasures

1. banking switch from NatWest to Halifax in November paid £125 but offer of £125 from Natwest has made me switch back again and its all gone smoothly and funds have transferred today :j just got to wait till april for the bonus to be paid. I love free money !

2. chest is feeling less tight and am less breathless as long as I don't try to hoover :o

3. puppy has been better behaved since behaviourist told us to leave her collar on indoors and go back to crating her when we are not there so she cant chew everything

4. some nice drying weather, blue skies and sunshine here in the south no snow (yet) have managed to get some washing out but haven't stayed outside long as very chilly wind.

5. had a text from DF to say they had arrived safely in Tenerife (there for next 4 weeks lucky things) and thanking us for the birthday card (sent before they left to take with him and open on the day)
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback