PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure what happened to yesterday. So post for today
    1) catching up on your pleasures. Detoothed frith debadgered & your posts always bring a smile
    2) gorgeous morning. Walked into work loving every step
    3) last of mr piano's Sunday curry for lunch. Gets hotter every day!
    4) just moved my vinyls down from my attic bedroom to my office on the 1st floor cos my lovely daughters have put up my final clever cubes
    5) dd1 is cooking supper. She did sushi last night, tonight is pork in orange. I am taking a sneaky 5 min break before moving the record player. Hooray, have freed up shelves for jumpers. Will borrow marie kondo book from gbf when he returns from super (though on his own sob sob) holiday in Germany vjsmum
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Frith & Purplekitten - holding you & all yours in my heart!
    Happy (belated) birthday, Haggis!

Pleasures this last couple of days
    Mum has ginally realised that teenaged boys need feeding by the bucketload - visits to see granny will not longer include inadvertent starvation. Photos of family walk by the river so pleased mum I emailed them to her from my phone (which she has overcome beong queasy about witchcraft about) and she promptly emailed a group snap around the extended family - much "haven't they grown!" feedback...

Grandfather stunned but delighted when grandson took a not working tablet, applied a "vulcan nerve pinch" (son's term!) to it & got it fully back to factory settings then got wifi working on it. Both chaps sporting beaming grins.

Uncle dropped in and was startled to discover nephews hulking great figures with unexpectedly good social manners (his grandchildren are quite a bit younger.)

Lads introduced to Scrabble - collective efforts at spelling improved sharply and (shockingly) they Defeated Granny! They then went on to clear the cheeseboard, entirely, so I excavated a lumpo ofc cooking cheddar from the freezer & warned them off the best stuff without permission!

Found a new museum - Avoncroft, a sort of English St.Fagans, & the chaps had a splendid time exploring. As new buildings arrive, we'll be back, but also to resupply on spelt flour (they undercut supermarket prices for a much fresher product!)

Bonus pleasure - Asda baker gave us a bit of yeast - about a quarter of a block! Either he's no idea what a bit is, or he plans to surprise tomorrow morning's colleagues, but home made bread is on the horizon!

Huge hugs &/or warm handshakes to all!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah DforV, Avoncroft. I know it quite well though haven't been for a few years. Used to take students there in their first few weeks. i remember one particular day waiting for a mini bus shuttle to return where we all sat in the tudor merchants house, where there was a huuuge fire and the rain was lashing down outside. we all came out stinking of smoke. :D

Pleasures for today

1. Good train to london and an excellent breakfast
    2. Good walks in the rain to and fro various stations. i am strange because i love walking in the rain.
    3. Chilli for tea, with avo and kimchi. My favourite way to have it.
    4. Cleaned the bathrooms
    5. Watching long lost family

Night night all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,189 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What were you doing up my way, DfV?! My sister is a volunteer at Avoncroft - usually in the pre fab!

Pleasures for today:

1) Not a bad sleep. Woke myself up due to tooth grinding (clicky noises) but can't wear my anti grind guard at the moment.

2) Hens OK.

3) Did very little all day! Started reading a book about the Lost Gardens of Heligan.

4) Ate sorbet, soup and mashed potato.

5) Sons went to role playing night with my brother and brother in law.

6) I phoned my school friend.

7) In bed now and appointment booked with local little dentist tomorrow for a check over.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poorly dog much improved thank you, back to usual Labrador behaviour as in constant requests for food!

Some pleasures for last few days,

Catching up on sleep, something quite decadent about going back to bed in middle of day.

SIL came for tea and we had a good chat.

Went to watch DN play football for CUFC under 18's against horsey town team, proud and delighted at his cool composure up against men a lot older and cannier.

Long telephone conversation with other SIL, plans made for face to face catch up.

Last episode of Handmaids Tale, have enjoyed and look forward to next series.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    5 Total blackout yesterday at the mill as the rains came down and washed away the wheel. Lights were dimmed, not to protect the innocent but with a bang, the boilers backfired. Power was lost and fifteen years worth of effort was down the swanny as easy as that. While, it could have been, but BoP as only bin here 9 months! So there! It rained for those trying to worm their way through.

4 A new badge has become from Perranporth and the bookmark is now in the log bog in the boiler room.

3 With all the coals this morning all over the place after the swanny burst its banks yesterday, the mess was incredible, but forthright action, we had the Jenny’s up and running in no time at all. Normal service has resumed.

2 As you know that BoP the other fine evening decided to test reversion, muppet foods for you. Well last evening, we could not have carp food laying around so the nice battered chip like twigs, the ones that take no time at all in any device, ready in five minutes and is not cheese on toast, was aten. Bang slam and meal done. Well BoP tested it again and it is proper carp. BoPsie is stuck on the john at the movement. Please avaoid. Now back to proper foods again!

I’ll second that.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Frith! We were hurtling home to the North after Oxford grandparent & family cosseting & being St Fagan fans, tried Avoncroft. The volunteer in the prefab was period authentic turned out (I do admire those who can so discipline their hair!), planning to wash the children at 5 when they got back in and seemed a thoroughly credible resident with the radio comfortable for an armchair & home grown flowers in vases dotted around! The ladies in the gatehouse & Tudor house were garbed & kitted & even cooking authentic! [The allium family is generously timeloose!]
    VJsmum - yes, we're all fans of real fires (even son who sports a skin graft after an injudiciously located seizure), and I've long passed fussing about smelling of woodsmoke! My work colleagues can look a little bemused but most know my sense of smell isn't that effective so as long as it isn't a meeting with externals or senior souls, it's rarely an issue.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,189 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    DfV - I don't suppose your lady in the prefab was mid 30s, blonde and knitting...?
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a bit kind of middle of the night here but I'm not sleeping so shall post some Thursday pleasures.

Work, love a Thursday.

The most stunning sunrise , it was the most beautiful crimson, my photo didn't do it justice.

The rest of the day was pretty meh! Freezing then wet and freezing.
    Was -0.1o to start.

Decided ,in my wisdom, as it must be done to start emptying dresser drawers & low coffee table drawers. My husband was like inspector gadget , so many little electronic bits & pieces.

Made rather delicious tomato soup.

Put dining table & chairs up for sale, sold in 5 minutes. Lady picked the chairs up and will come back for table tonight.

Sorted through one of the hall cupboards! I am not taking crap back!

Had some thai food for tea. Then a bit more sorting then a bit of snoozing on sofa and was sent to bed by DD1.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ampersand you may know...and others may know too...I bought an oil painting in Salvos the other day , and it's a bit dusty . What's best way to try & remove dust from it?

It's framed but not glazed. I don't want to rub at the paint but nor pay for someone else to clean if there's an easy way to do it myself .

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure