PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2017 at 6:41AM
    Options
    Awake since 4, now back au lit with hot lemon+good honey + R5live for Albion v. Baggies. Cook has just caught Cummins, not b4 time.
    Root's captaincy hat needs something. Woakes with ball in hand is proving a liability.
    #
    1. Tutoring done - another £20/5+ hours. I know..... But again, all 3 children apply themselves so keenly. In last week, Maman has passed driving test and is driving daily. Son has now had 3. 10/10's for spelling, comprehension. French done with eldest:-), happy &. A has War Horse, so thoughtful discussion, more reading, special attention to foreword + planted Black Beauty for later compare+contrast.

2. Spits unloading was big, heavy, unwieldy, but DONE. Made self do it. Need magic wand.

3. Then>town of horse for banking, hooray. Hard earnt £s, as noted + praised by lovely S, just back from Cap Verde with beautifully tanned arms, face. Told him so. We had our usual highly enjoyable rugby stuff and S indicated another chap. 'You know you 2 speak the same language', at which point we did. He instinctively reached round neck for pounamu: & ditto for solid silver kiwi.

4. In emporium, lady at checkout ahead of & was somehow also referring to S, & realised. S has fan club, no question. She was also on about some mother wanting Sleeping Beauty banned. Light the blue touchpaper time. The sometimes pleasure of the queue))).

5. Re-inflated trailer tyre with foot pump several days ago. Toxic neighbour's toxic teen son has asb form. Aaaah, Moeen strikes! Hazelwood gone! Baggies still 4 behind. Lyon coming in. Pleasure is that tyre has stayed up.
    #
    Hungry now. Perhaps some porridge, good lurgy fodder.

Frith, everything x'd for that apprenticeship and elder son's sustained interest.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Missed yesterday morning was a bit chaotic but not quite sure why.

1. Crumpets with marmite on them. Had been talking about them at work and someone has golden syrup on them but for me it's butter with possibly either marmite or peanut butter.

2. More decluttering done. A old cupboard thrown out and things found and more stuff have left the house. I don't think we need to buy any more shelving for the hall for storage now. It's a good feeling with all the stuff leaving the house.

3. Went shopping with DH and met friends and then sorted out their menu choices for a meal out we are having.
    I didn't but anything I couldn't find anything worth buying.

4. Spoke with a neighbour and caught up with his news.

5. Exchanged parcels with another neighbour. I had taken in two of her parcels and she had one for me!

6. Just finished watching the England v Tonga rugby semi-final. Great last 10 minutes.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Morning,

MIA for a while.....

1. Catching up on everyone else's pleasures.

2. Had observation on Wednesday. Feedback was ok. Apparently it was a good lesson and I am a good teacher! There were buts.......but I can fix them.

3. My freebie hunter friend had invitations to a few posh shops offering wine and nibbles, so we had a bit of a posh shop crawl. :rotfl: could not take full advantage of prosecco on offer, as both driving, but had a few mince pies. Enjoyed a nice chat and looked at the beautiful things.

4. Decided not to go to work yesterday, as Dr Google , advised rest for concussion. Still having dizzy spells. Black eye has gone yellow. Slept most of the day. Unusual for me, so I think it was a good decision.

5. DH had day off too, yesterday. He decided we should have a trip to a shop I like, to have a change of scene. Slept all the way there and back :rotfl: Was inspired by my visit to posh design shops and found 4
    cushions and a throw in beautiful teal blue. Now reclining under cozy throw and squishy cushions. :o

Frith If you have been to the Xmas market in Brum in previous years, it is just the same again this year. Very crowded and very expensive. I would have liked to boycott it this year and actually go to Frankfurt :rotfl:

Antiques for Everyone at NEC today. (Will be wandering along in a slow elderly fashion. Still feeling wobbly and dizzy!). DD BF flies back to Holland. :(

Love Famous Five, but never got into the boarding school series.

Have a lovely day:)
  • mcculloch29
    Options
    A quick collection:

1. Only missing one parcel delivery (instead of the usual three!) when I was out.
    The being out was on an Age UK organised shopping trip, I'm the youngest on the bus by a few months, but also the least mobile, thanks to my arthritic hip.

Yesterday was a bright clear morning, and we had just avoided a heavy ground frost with resultant ice, my nemesis.

The drive to a nearby retail park through local towns and villages was rather lovely in the winter sun. HB and L!dl were my emporiums of choice at the retail park, we have neither locally.

HB had big 500g drums of Coffee Mate, I use this a lot now, as ferrying milk to and from the fridge (in the rear lobby, not my kitchen) is a PITA. Very few places locally sell coffee whitener, other than Mr T's. Our local one is an Extra, and shopping there is a bit of a nightmare, with hidden goods and lengthy treks between aisles.

L!dl had jars of lumpfish caviar, a Christmas treat that has been missing from the menu for a couple of years.
    Hoping to find herring in sherry sauce somewhere, an 'only at Christmas' treat from my childhood that is up there with Proust's madeleine for me.

2. I no longer sneer at ready-to-eat food, which I definitely see the point of now. Following a £20 a head mini blow-out at Yo! Sushi last week, picking up A!di's lovely fish sushi at £1.69 had me wondering about Yo!'s profit margins.
    I had the sushi with an A!di Japanese salad of edamame beans, aka soya, a nice sharp dressing made them edible.
    Being able to afford ready-to-eat food, as well.

3. My Japanese clients delight me so often. Many of them love word-play, one of them told me that a Japanese coffee-shop chain was 'just my cup of tea'.
    Sometimes I think I have the best job in the world.

4. My beloved cleaner of a few years ago is coming back to me, not till next month, but I can hang on.

5. Your pleasures, thank you.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another one here who would always have marmite on her crumpets VL rather than something sweet.
    Years ago when darling Bill had bad accident & which required 3 months of box rest, he had a radio in his stable for company or I used to sit in there and read to him, Black Beauty obviously figured, Ginger always makes me cry.

Friday pleasures,

Avoiding all shops I had a gentle morning pottering in the house, cleaned out a couple of kitchen cupboards and washed down the shelving, also did some baking.

From above the house smelling of warm golden syrup as the flapjack baked.

Social arrangements made for first week in January, something to look forward to after festivities have finished.

Cold, bright day meant a few more minutes of precious daylight used to poo pick a field :rotfl:

Fresh bed linen + HWBs = heaven.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    1. its the weekend :j Difficult days with DS still in the depths of depression but he managed a few coherent sentences this morning which is an improvement.

2. bright sunny day and blue sky. Looks like summer even thought its freezing. A little bit envious of your snow MHags, always like to see it but I cant walk on it. Scraped the ice off my car before Gp appointment at 7.45am and now I know I have Eustachian tube dysfunction which is not permanent and is linked to other conditions and I'm not going deaf, which is a relief

3. warm tomato soup just now after returning from puppy walk

4. dog training disks recommended by puppy class trainers are working a treat. No more biting on walks so far ! And she's been snuggling up on the sofa rather that her usual dirty look when I sit down lol. She's off for spaying on Friday so that could all change again :rotfl:

5. puppy fast asleep on sofa. Washing just finishing. Am having 10 mins just sitting here relaxing.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • DundeeDoll wrote: »
    you showing me up vjsmum?:rotfl:
    Ohhhhh get you! See below! Sits and chortles on his high horse!

5 BrekFest was the usual SatFest of best back, SNORKERS, fried tatties, mushrooms, tom, grilled toms, buttered toast and marmite! Topped with poached Egg. Proper food DD, SNORKERS. And with Discovery being inn Dundee and a naval tradition. I'll get me coat!

4 Nore than that before I red this missive inn the Parish, I actually out money on Luton as well. Please note that this is not financial advise! #UTM at 3!

3 Oh yeah watched Glawster last night. Went all in at 7:4 Kerching! BoPsie has enuff pennies to buy some tart fuel this day! Please noite, this is not financial advice!

2 Night lined up for another film. Undecided yet but could be a Marylin!

Carry on like that and you'll end up with a smile on yoiur face!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gotta get it right, DD :rotfl:

Pleasures for yesterday

1. my now preferred on train breakfast of hash brown with fried egg - yesterday was a two of each day, definitely a pleasure
    2. nice walks to and between stations. St Pancras' christmas tree was lovely
    3. Dad not quite as bad as my sister had led me to believe. His leg is painful but repairable, his confusion i think was caused by dehydration so did a bit of bullying of him to drink.
    4. Another walk by the sea in the afternoon - beautiful crisp afternoon but cold
    5. Hmm, might have to bank this one...

Have a good evening all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Just heard from my friend Sue (Charlie retrievers mum) that they have finally exchanged on their new home down in Cornwall and will move on 4th December, they have been living in their touring caravan since early September when their house sale here completed, saga of aborted attempted house purchase there too long to tell BUT finally they are there!

2) Beautifully frosty morning followed by a bright, dry and chilly day, perfect for walking Cookie.

3) Made a new recipe nut roast at lunchtime, have just tasted a corner and it is DELICIOUS! has prunes and pistachio nuts in so it's also very pretty!

4) Going to the garden centre for coffee in the morning and they just might have the live reindeer in, Oh I do love a good reindeer, their noses are adorable and whiffley!!!

5) Have made the decision to view a house near DD1 one day next week, smaller than we'd originally wanted but after some consideration and DD1 walking past it this morning and saying it's in very good condition and so are the houses around it we will go and view open mindedly and see what we think.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. Dickens walk with dear friend who is about 45 years older than us. He has written beautiful books on Dickens and was President of the Dickens Fellowship until recently. He then treated us to lunch near Kings Cross - planning to pay him back by taking him to eat at The Clink at HMP Brixton...a programme that I imagine Dickens would have thoroughly approved of!
    2. Reading Monty Don's A French Journey on the train. Planning a driving holiday around France next year, and it's getting me all excited.
    3. Series 2, Episode one of Les Revenants (The Returned), in bed, with my cats, with DH snoozing beside me. We may or may not have guzzled a couple of bottles of Sauv Blanc at lunch.
    4. Beautiful blue, crisp day. Starting to feel Christmassy.
    5. Had news that we'll haev new frotn and back doors for Christmas. Hurrah!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback