NST Joyful July

edited 29 June 2017 at 12:02AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
449 replies 28K views

Replies

• Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=mothernerd;72774297Work/Career Applied for Carer's Allowance. Will give up WTC if successful.
    .[/QUOTE]

Just checking that you know that even if you are awarded Carers Allowance then you can still claim Working Tax Credit although CA will be classed as an income so would likely mean that you get less.

Obviously there might be another reason for giving it up so just ignore me!!!
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try Not
    Do or Do Not
    There is No Try

Yoda
    I've been hanging around with happy bunny, motivating penguin and going through geeky cross stitch, so you may get some weird and wonderful quotes this month - as I said before, take what you can from different sources.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Mrs Hubbard - Glad you're both well and the wee one is out of hospital.
    Went for a walk yesterday and realized just how unfit I am.
    Popped into Lidl and stocked up on olive oil and smoked salmon in their weekend deal. Also got some nice YS cheese and other YS bits which can be used as light suppers when our friends come to visit next week. Trying to plan ahead for that so we din't buy expensive food on impulse.
    C took me for lunch in our local pub (I had a healthy jacket potato) to get away from the incessant drilling and hammering which is going on from 7.00am till 7.00pm. Thank goodness it's Sunday and they're not working today.
    Didn't do much on the cleaning front (well, it is the weekend) but started reading a book at bedtime.
    Yesterday I was grateful for the sunshine, peace and quiet and having the chance to have a long talk with C.
    I'm off for another walk now. Hope everyone has a good day.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to find a less destructive comfort blanket.
    Relax with a footbath and a fave film/book.
    Paint your nails.
    Put your favourite music on and have a sing & dance.

Remember if we didn't have rain, we wouldn't get rainbows :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have a list of things but I felt the need to have a serious think about why I am not following through. It may be in part that last time I lost weight, nothing else changed much. Maybe I got too caught up in getting the old house ready for selling and then the problems with my hip started.

Similarly when I became debt free, there was an initial feeling of relief but I didn't do much else and may have got a bit lax with money saving as I have the emergency fund as back up. I musn't get complacent.
    Just checking that you know that even if you are awarded Carers Allowance then you can still claim Working Tax Credit although CA will be classed as an income so would likely mean that you get less.

Obviously there might be another reason for giving it up so just ignore me!!!

I currently get £52.37 a week in WTC, the Carer's Allowance is £62.80 per week. I can get both but the WTC would stay the same and the Carer's Allowance would be the difference between the two.

However that would mean having to follow 2 sets of rules. The main requirement for carer's Allowance is providing care 35 hours or more each week and mum being in receipt of a relevant benefit.

To get WTC I have to work 30 hours each week (not the same hours). They also introduced a load of new rules last year - a requirement to make a profit, log all your hours, keep proper accounts (I have 2 years of CIMA - I'd like to see those agency workers outrank that).

My mum has no immune system, mine is compromised. This means that the winter months are a constant battle to keep her out of hospital and the new batch of germs she passes on each week mean my own productivity is severely compromised (hence hanging out with the 'poorly' people to pick up as many tricks, shortcuts as possible to keep things going).

TRying to meet the requirements of both benefits would add loads of stress and on Carer's Allowance I can still earn up to £116 per week, so I could carry on when I feel okay.

I would be downgrading my 'business' to an enjoyable hobby which makes a modest profit (£116 would be a dream) and not having to feel that I am selling the business short, but not knowing where to find the extra energy required to set off in a different direction.

I will be saving some money (hence budget reductions) as I will be eating some food at mum's. Usually I take my own food with me but mum regularly feeds members of her partner's family (they have recently started to do the cooking and preparation) so I shoudn't feel guilty about it.

Mum's food isn't very diet friendly (that's why I take my own). She uses jars and packets and has never read a food label in her life. However if I am taking over the cooking, I can change that. She also wants me to use the slow cooker and bread maker that she asked for but has never used. Yippeee. I could even be bringing home my own bread.

Sorry for the marathon post, it was a legitimate question. I didn't want to clog the thread with all my thinking behind the scenes.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrshubbard have you deleted a post saying the agency job was too heavy for you or was it someone else?

I was working through an agency packing watches. Very regimented - the owner was in a wheelchair so we all had to stand all day, even though most of the tasks didn't require it. We were searched as we came in and went home and were locked in all day. Talking was frowned on, laughing earned a reprimand and you had to ask to go to the toilet.

We were congratulated on getting out a very large order and then let go. The agency found me a job in my home town, making filing cabinets and desk drawers. I had to wear safety boots and the smallest I could get were two sizes too large, so it was like wearing diving boots all the time.

I didn't think I would make it through till dinnertime. I was picking up the two sides of a cabinet and attaching all the runners for the drawers using a drill (rechargable but ran out at least every half hour) then putting the finished ones onto another pallet.

The man next to me lent me his drill when he wasn't using it - if you every have the chance to use tools with an air line, do it. It was the size of a child's 'space gun' (small smooth and fit in my hand - the other was making my arm drop off).

I lasted over three months. I told the agency the work was too heavy but he kept saying there was nothing else (he was lying). My only comfort was that a young girl who was hoping to become a personal trainer and ran 10 miles every morning, quit before me. One morning I woke up and had to drag myself across the floor to get to the bathroom. I was still trying to think how I could get to work?

Ah well we live and learn.
  • Florence_JFlorence_J Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have posted my goals for the month, so here goes.

I am aiming for a conservative 10 NSDs, which I know it low but I have been looking back on the amount of NSDs I have achieved each month of this year and only twice did I get into double figures, so I want to start off with securely getting 10 in the bank each month before I go big on the NSDs.

I am also in a weight battle, and will aim for 20 'Healthy Days' but really I will be mindful about being healthy each day. I use the app MyFitnessPal to monitor my calorie intake and I find it really helps.

I am now half way through my No Spend Year and although there are some things I am allowed to spend money on, I had a quick calculation at how much money I had spent this year on things I was allowed to buy versus how much I had put towards my debts and I have put more money towards my debts this year then I had as a disposable income so I feel good about that.

My Debt Free Date aim is to be debt free before/on my 30th birthday in 2019. I wasn't confident I could do it but seeing how much I have achieved this year is great and I did another calculation and I am on track to achieve my target of paying off £3000 this year.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • misstaramisstara Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't got round to posting my goals for this month either.

Yearly goals
    - run a 10k, done and signed up for another one
    - become debt free by the end of the year, realistically I don't think I will achieve this. I would need to be paying around £260 to the debt each month to make it happen and I'm falling way short. So I'm going to revise my goal to becoming debt free by my next birthday which makes a much more manageable payment of around £150 a month.

I'll aim for 16 NSDs this month, I achieved 14 last month so hopefully 16 won't be too much of a stretch.

I'll also aim for 3 exercise sessions a week on top of my 12,000 daily steps target.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Debt Feb 2020: Credit card - £607.09. Now £0
    Car - £4992.88. Now £2643.76 (47% paid)
    Emergency fund - £1000/£1000. Car fund - £1000/£1000.
    Flat deposit - £850/£15000 (5.7% saved).
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Mothernerd
    It was me who only lasted a week at the factory. I gave up on Friday but still have aching arms and back from all the lifting and stretching.
    I will contact the agency tomorrow but have decided factory work just isn't for me.
    The agency has a really high turnover apparently and now I know why.
    January NST 2/16
  • edited 2 July 2017 at 7:25PM
    LauralozzleLauralozzle Forumite
    719 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 2 July 2017 at 7:25PM
    Overtime done and dusted this morning. I just need to log it so it can be approved. Should see it in July pay - I worked out (roughly) what my hourly rate is (about £9.50). Saturday overtime is double time and Sunday is double time and a half from what I understand so it'll all help. I hope I see at least £100 after mr Tax Man!

I've also given the kitchen a quick clean and started prep for Sunday lunch - chicken is in the oven and potatoes and veg are prepped ready to cook.

Today should be a NSD so I should get the first one in the bag. I've also weighed in today and I've lost 2lbs since last week which I am really pleased about.

EDIT: Today has been a NSD so I'm at 1/14. I've also prepped a Quorn chilli shepherds pie - just needs going in the oven, so that'll be dinner sorted for Tuesday as Monday will be leftover chicken from today's roast. Wondering if I should freeze it though - don't know how long it'll last 'uncooked' in the fridge. I've also put aside two boxes of plain chilli too to freeze. Feeling quite proud of all I have achieved today to be honest - I've been busy!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • x_raphael_xxx_raphael_xx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, took my laptop the the pc shop, they ran a diagnostic for free. Confirmed the hard drive was showing, but not working so they replaced the hard drive free as it was theirs I bought in January.
    (They aren't allowed to install on my Alienware so I had to fit it myself, but it's not as scary as I used to think)

So laptop is now back up and running, although I need to re-install all my programs, firewalls and apps I use.
    I think it is still time for a new laptop, but at least I now have time to look around and find a good deal.

So still a NSD!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 16/31 / EF Challenger #3 £2000 / £5000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals