Nappy Cakes

Options

Comments

• glendam
    glendam Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Some lovely ideas on her for my 1st grandchild. I feel a creative moment coming on.

Glenda
    Glenda

£1 a week savings challenge 2014

£250

• louby-lou-lou
    louby-lou-lou Posts: 1,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is my first nappy cake.

nappycake2small.jpg

and finished off.

nappycakesmall.jpg
    :)Mummy to 2 wonderful boys :)
    Want to be fit for 30 not fat at 30
    but i want never gets!!!
  • Io07
    Io07 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I've just finished my first ever cake for a friend's baby shower tomorrow...but don't know how to upload the pic!
    oh well, enjoyed making it anyway, i hope she likes it!
  • crystalclear
    crystalclear Posts: 250 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Io07 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've just finished my first ever cake for a friend's baby shower tomorrow...but don't know how to upload the pic!
    oh well, enjoyed making it anyway, i hope she likes it!

Rosekitten has posted how to load the pictures in step by step instructions. Just click on the link below for the first post of instruction
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=622943&page=33

Please post a picture for us all to see :j
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Shelley
    All gone quiet from you on this thread.
    Bet you'r soaking up the sun somewhere exotic! lol
    Just to let you know I have sent you acouple of PMs
  • Happydaze
    Happydaze Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Just noticed this thread. I have a friend who makes these cakes however instead of rolling individual nappies she joins the nappies together end to end with a small piece of tape and then rolls the nappies once they are joined. This methods makes it easy to slot items in and still hold a good shape.

The nappies can still be used once opened as the tape is easily removed. She made one for me and it was a much appreciated gift.
  • CandyB101_2
    CandyB101_2 Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I made a nappy cake for a friend who is expecting. After taking it to the local market for the florist to wrap, I was amazed at just how many people came over to ask about it, and said that they had never seen anything like it, even had one lady who asked for my telephone number.

So now I have his idea that maybe I could make and sell these .............

IF ONLY I COULD FIND THE RIGHT MATERIALS !!!!
    I LIVE IN SPAIN AND THE SHOPS ARE CRAP !!!!

It is costing me a fortune in postage costs just getting the items here, well - that's if the postie ever turns up !!! :mad: :mad:

I am so jealous of you all, you don't realise how lucky you are to have such great shops.

x x x
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness :D
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Candy B101

Like you, am trying to get some items together to make a couple of sample cakes but am finding it really tough now I have missed the sales.

Managed to get some lovely soft toy jungle amimals in the M&S sale reduced from £5 to £2 - should have bought more! It seems all the "cake makers" on here stockpile their goodies. Can't wait for the January Sales!

If you are charging huge amounts (like some of the websites do) then you can buy anytime, reduced or not, but I don't think people would pay locally, which is where I intend selling them.

Surely there are baby shops in Spain - or are they all "expensive boutiques"
    What did you put in the one for your friend?
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    moonpenny wrote: »
    Hi Candy B101

Like you, am trying to get some items together to make a couple of sample cakes but am finding it really tough now I have missed the sales.

Managed to get some lovely soft toy jungle amimals in the M&S sale reduced from £5 to £2 - should have bought more! It seems all the "cake makers" on here stockpile their goodies. Can't wait for the January Sales!

If you are charging huge amounts (like some of the websites do) then you can buy anytime, reduced or not, but I don't think people would pay locally, which is where I intend selling them.

Surely there are baby shops in Spain - or are they all "expensive boutiques"
    What did you put in the one for your friend?

Hi Moonpenny, I already gave you a breakdown of costs which I would say are good quality and also cheap for what they are. I have a son who is 5 now and things were expensive then ... now with my daughter who is 14 months old things seem to be a lot more expensive. I saw some nappy caked locally in a cake shop window and they looked awful the ribbons had all slipped so you could see all of the elastic bands and they were very very basic (one tier with cheap rattle, teddy and bottle) They were charging £19.99 which is a hell of a lot of profit! I have sold loads of these lately which I am amazed at. My teddies were bought from Home bargains, they cost £1.69 each ... You can also pick up nice teddies from the £1 shop etc again they are not all cheap nasty looking ones if you look carefully. I don't stockpile any of my items, but as I use things I replace them. i.e I used a blue blanket last week so I replaced it immediately so then if I sell anymore then I have the stock in so to speak.
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • CandyB101_2
    CandyB101_2 Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    <P>
    moonpenny wrote: »
    Hi Candy B101</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Like you, am trying to get some items together to make a couple of sample cakes but am finding it really tough now I have missed the sales.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Managed to get some lovely soft toy jungle amimals in the M&S sale reduced from £5 to £2 - should have bought more! It seems all the "cake makers" on here stockpile their goodies. Can't wait for the January Sales!</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>If you are charging huge amounts (like some of the websites do) then you can buy anytime, reduced or not, but I don't think people would pay locally, which is where I intend selling them.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Surely there are baby shops in Spain - or are they all "expensive boutiques"</P>
    <P>What did you put in the one for your friend<P>Hi Moonpenny,</P>
    <P> </P>

Hi Moonpenny,

I was visiting friends and family in England when I made the cake for my friend, contents were toiletries, hair-comb set, baby nail clippers, sponge, food storage tubs (home bargins), stacking ring toy and baby book (tesco's), vests, baby-gros (tesco's)etc etc., which totals nothing in cost with the range of shops that you have over there selling these items

I have spent hours trailing round baby shops, supermarkets, markets etc, and cannot find anything that compares to your prices, Eg. a 4 pack of baby vests 11 euros, a 4 pack of baby gro's 14 euros, cheap looking fleece baby blanket 12 euro's, johnsons shampoo 3.25 euro's, spanish shampoo's 3 euro's, And Teddy's ...... for a decent looking small teddy you are looking at 6 euro's plus.

Everybody seems to sell 1cm ribbon but no wider. The party shop has lovely orange, red, dark blue, green, white ribbons, but no sign of any pink, yellow or blue. The florist shop is never open !!! maybe she's earning a fortune, always out deliverying, although I've spied she has ribbon.

I am just worried that if the cake costs too much to make in the first place, they may be too expensive to sell. I suppose I'll just have to stop thinking about english prices of things and start thinking 'expensive' spanish prices.

Sorry all, just having a little nappy cake wingy moment, I'll have to go and have a chill out in the sun, well I'll try, if my 4 year daughter lets me, currently on week 5 of 12 weeks holiday from school !!!
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport