Nappy Cakes

Options

Comments

• betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thankyou shelley, thats a really good price. i find its really hard to put a price on something you make yourself to sell, as you always think your charging too much. up until recently i was making bridal tiaras and matching jewellery with swarovski crystals and freshwater pearls. i have only stopped for a short time as 12 days ago i gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. as i have a load of napies, fleeces etc i thought what better time to have a go myself. i dont have any small elastic bands so might tape nappies with a bit of masking tape. my 2yr old got a small elastic band stuck up her nose a while ago and i spent 3 hours in a&e whilst they tried to pull it out, hense dont keep them in the house any more lol.x
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am a bit of a perfectionist so I only put quality items into my nappy cakes and spend a lot of time on the colour combinations of ribbons also because I think it makes all the difference. :wink:

It does make all the differance. They look great! Its a shame there are no Home Bargains in Scotland!!!
  • yummymsmummy
    Options
    Hi there I bought my blankets from Home Bargains for £3 and they are fantastic quality. Everyone who has seen them or bought a Nappy Cake from me have commented on how lovely they are. They are very silky soft and babies love them. I also use a plain super soft fleece blanket which is lovely too. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I only put quality items into my nappy cakes and spend a lot of time on the colour combinations of ribbons also because I think it makes all the difference. :wink:

Thanks Shelley - I'll be close to one of those on tuesday so will have a look if they have any in stock :D
  • Shelley3774
    Shelley3774 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Shelley - I'll be close to one of those on tuesday so will have a look if they have any in stock :D

Yes do that they have some lovely ones there. Good luck xx
    Little Miss Chatterbox
    :p
    :smileyheaMum to Jake and Harri
    :smileyhea
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there I bought my blankets from Home Bargains for £3 and they are fantastic quality. Everyone who has seen them or bought a Nappy Cake from me have commented on how lovely they are. They are very silky soft and babies love them. I also use a plain super soft fleece blanket which is lovely too. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I only put quality items into my nappy cakes and spend a lot of time on the colour combinations of ribbons also because I think it makes all the difference. :wink:

morenappycakes001lz6.th.jpg

This is a picture of a plain blanket which I also use - I apologise for the quality of the photos haven't quite sussed out the lighting yet. May invest in a photo tent soon !!!

Hi Shelley, I may be wrong but the way you word your post here makes it sound as if everyone else who makes nappy cakes put cheap cr*p in their cakes. I also use good quality items, I use the same items I use on my own children but don't put in as much as you on my 3 tier cake to keep the costs down to anyone who wants to buy them. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it is nasty in quality.
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    Hi Shelley, I may be wrong but the way you word your post here makes it sound as if everyone else who makes nappy cakes put cheap cr*p in their cakes. I also use good quality items, I use the same items I use on my own children but don't put in as much as you on my 3 tier cake to keep the costs down to anyone who wants to buy them. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it is nasty in quality.

Hi there I really think you've got the wrong end of the stick here my point is I only spend minimal amounts on my blankets and accessories and they are still good quality. Where have I said in my posts that others use cheap cr*p or "nasty" products??? I tried to put across the fact that you haven't got to spend lots to get a good Nappy Cake. I was asked by Yummymsmummy where i got the blankets from and I was merely answering her question.
    Little Miss Chatterbox
  • Shelley3774
    Options
    betterlife wrote: »
    thankyou shelley, thats a really good price. i find its really hard to put a price on something you make yourself to sell, as you always think your charging too much. up until recently i was making bridal tiaras and matching jewellery with swarovski crystals and freshwater pearls. i have only stopped for a short time as 12 days ago i gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. as i have a load of napies, fleeces etc i thought what better time to have a go myself. i dont have any small elastic bands so might tape nappies with a bit of masking tape. my 2yr old got a small elastic band stuck up her nose a while ago and i spent 3 hours in a&e whilst they tried to pull it out, hense dont keep them in the house any more lol.x

Congratulation on the birth of your son you've got your hands full then. I wouldn't want to leave elastic bands around after that experience either lol. Your tiaras sound lovely you should post some pics on here. Good luck with the nappy cakes too
    Little Miss Chatterbox
  • yummymsmummy
    Options

Rusty, i don't think Shelley meant it like that at all! :p I think she was just trying to say that you can pick up great quality things (such as the £3 blankets which are similar to the £15 mothercare ones) for little money if you shop around! A bit like what you said on an earlier post...
    "good quality and also cheap for what they are" "My teddies were bought from Home bargains, they cost £1.69 each ... You can also pick up nice teddies from the £1 shop etc again they are not all cheap nasty looking ones if you look carefully"

I think we're all the same in using items for our cakes which we would be happy to use on our own children. After all - lots of these cakes are for friends or people we know!

Smile, people! And show us some more pics!

Clare
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    hey guys i am making a nappy cake for my best friends who expecting in nov and was wondering where to get the cake boards cant seem to find them anywhere??? thanks

and also what size would be best thanks!!
  • crystalclear
    Options
    snowbrow wrote: »
    hey guys i am making a nappy cake for my best friends who expecting in nov and was wondering where to get the cake boards cant seem to find them anywhere??? thanks

and also what size would be best thanks!!

I bought mine in a craft shop 99p 10 inch but have since seen them in Asda cheaper.
    I have only ever bought one "yet" :D I think Rustyflange has posted previously that she was paying 50p (don't know what size) she will probably be on later and be able to give you more information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure