Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Baseline Elec 2019 Version 3 is in reality Top Shopper Elec 2019 Version 3 with prices 14.29 p/kWh and 20.29 p/day. I am expecting to comfortably beat those prices.
  • Equites
    Equites Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

July Offerings

Here's what I got for this month.
    1 x Simple Saver @ 19.4% discount for equivalent of 3 days electricity
    1 x Little Extra Pack @ 15.2% discount for equivalent of 3 days electricity
    2 x December Future Packs @ 22% discount (each equivalent to 9 days electricity)

For reference, electric only, North Scotland distribution area and c.4000kWh annual usage.
  • tlcgrantham
    tlcgrantham Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I got the same as Equites plus the following (I’m dual fuel) Major Saver 1day @ 18.8% discount Heave Ho 1day @ 17.5 % discount Jumbo 6 days @ 8.2% discount It’s worth noting that the future packs though lower in discount % than previous years are bigger. When combined with Winter Shaker packs or other higher discounted packs would lead to decent savings at a time of higher usuage. August/September may be the best time to join or rejoin Powershop to benefit fully from these future packs as 3+months future packs would be available for new customers to buy and discounts on other packs normally improve.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Fewkeste,  Great to see your posts again. I rejoined Powershop in March on Pro so you can go straight onto Pro. However your tariff would be Electric 2020 issue 1 I believe, so you might want to compare that with Y.E.’s Green Haworth. I can show you what it is for me as I’m in East Midlands region too on E7.
    Baseline.                        Top Shopper        Discount Required 
    Day 20.1p kW                  14.87p kw            26%
    night 10.6p kW.                7.84p kw              26%
    daily 23.0p.                      19.53p                  15%

To date I’m not quite getting sufficiently discounted packs to beat the Top Shopper. Though as you’ll remember they increase in the winter so I’m confident that, like Neil Sedaka, by next March I’ll beat Top Shopper rates again.

I've always been following this thread since I was the one that started it even though I haven't been posting. I've been a bit dismayed at the low discounts you've been offered recently but think it might be possible to beat my Yorkshire Energy Green Ilkley tariff (lower than Green Haworth.)  I do have some anxiety that to achieve the annual discount to match or even beat Top Shopper tariff, it all hinges on those few winter months when discounts are much higher.  Tell me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall that for the vast majority of the year the running achieved discount is less than Top Shopper and only when the Powerpacks/Future Packs for the winter months are purchased and used, does the large discounts they offer drag the achieved discount down to or below Top Shopper. Is that still the case?   
  • tlcgrantham
    I can understand your anxiety. Discounts are lower in summer but compensated for in winter. By joining in late summer you should get ahead of Top Shopper rates, build up credit in winter and then only need to buy packs with a “sensible discount” like Neil Sedaka. OVER THE YEAR You will beat Top Shopper but not every month.

• tlcgrantham
    With Powershop the key question is not IF you’ll beat Top Shopper rates over 12months but by HOW MUCH?

• tlcgrantham
    Chocoholic Special pack out today 4 days power @ 25% discount 
  • Chocoholic Special pack out today 4 days power @ 25% discount 
    14.5% - why such a big variation?

• Equites
    Equites Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

The Chocoholic Special

In my case, 25% discount for equivalent of about 4 days electricity.
    The variation in discount, only Powershop can answer that.
    Saying that, my interpretation would be is that it's based on a number of criteria, including...
    • Tariff you're on
    • How much credit accumulated on that tariff - the higher the surplus, the lower the discounts to push you towards using up the current balance before purchasing new ones.
    • Based on historical buying patterns, how likely you are to meet the Top Shopper rates (hmm, that is being too pro-customer so maybe not!!)
    What I can say is that having moved onto the new tariff the discounts have improved so that definitely seems to be part of the story (for reference my account surplus is low).
  • tlcgrantham
    Discounts definitely are linked to the tariff you’re on. Top Shopper 2020 issue 1 Electricity is now the cheapest fixed tariff, according to citizens advice energy compare, for me in East Midlands region.(use 1900kw day 1650kw night )
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback