We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    Glad the cleaner made a difference :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    If I spend precious time and money going out in the evening it has to be really enjoyable or I think what a waste. So much food and entertainment from venues is a total rip off I think.

Why was the Michael Moore film depressing?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The cleaners sound as though they are well worth the money :j I could do with them here, but they'd have to be super psychic to know where things are supposed to go! (like sorting out 2 bedrooms worth of craft stuff (full to the brim!) :o:o
    Has DD not got a separate account where monthly amounts can be transferred to. When it's gone it's gone and no more put in until the next months money is due.
    Nightmare Client doesn't sound as though it's getting much better.... really hope you've got it off your hands soon. ((hugs))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,946 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on cleaner.
    Please send here :o
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,690 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cleaner sounds amazing - I had 1 once for a 1 off after I’d broken my arm - how I wish I could have it regularly....couldn’t stretch to it though :(
    January spends - £587.58
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So, the film was about the presidency, school shooting, black lives matter and the water in Flint plus big business links to politics, etc. maybe my current work is too gritty and that was a big part of my mood or maybe I'm just disillusioned but I could not see a sustainable positive.

The day's well paid work that postponed from last week to this has now cancelled with 2 days' notice. I'm annoyed but I do have other stuff to be getting on with.

I had an early night last night and then slept really badly. I am tired. I am also therefore grumpy.
    The dog went into a neighbour's garden yesterday and returned without her favourite ball. This was the last of the 4 we ordered about 18 months ago. We will need to source some more.
    On money stuff, I need to get on top of invoicing and chasing up clients. I did however unearth a gifted house of Fraser gift card last night that DH will put in the post along with eBay parcels today. It looks like we will clear around £15 from the sales but 4 items are exiting the house.
    I need to gain some structure to my day. I'm eating junk, not moving enough and slumping in from of the box with my laptop approximating work. Last night I made soup and managed to let it boil dry! This is neither healthy nor productive.
    Today I am grateful for
    Cold milk on cereal
    Getting one thing moved forward
    A cup of tea from a colleague yesterday, it was just what I needed
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The film sounds tough going, like his other ones! I'm sure it's quite close to home with you as well with difficult client.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That film sounds like my idea of total hell! :eek:
    If he wants to watch that type of thing can't he get it on Love Films, Prime or Netflix? Renting it would surely still be cheaper than 2 of you going to the Cinema and you would be able to let him get on with being miserable all on his own (:D ) while you did something that YOU wanted/needed to do. And if he insists on going to the Cinema to 'get out' then make sure it's YOUR choice or he goes on his own!
    Bummer about the well paid work, but might be a blessing - they don't sound very reliable do they?
    I think regarding structure you need to take some time out (even if it's only 1 hour) and make a plan of action.... from the soup catastrophe it sounds as though you're trying to do too many things at once? Do you have a slow cooker -- soup (and other things) can't burn in them and it's ready when you are (with a bit of pre-planning) - OH could prepare the veg sitting at the kitchen table whilst contemplating about what a fabulous film he saw this week! :D:rotfl::rotfl:
    Hope you start to feel better soon. (hugs))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So, the thing is I'd normally like to watch Michael Moore. This one just wasn't for me. Some development at nightmare client that will hopefully allow me to scale back my involvement over the next 8 weeks.
    Last night was also a bit disturbed but not to the same extent. However the 4 legged alarm clock kicked off early this morning. This afternoon I have a 4 o'clock meeting close to home which means a slightly earlier finish which is good. Nap time may beckon!

Yesterday was a spendy day with several under £5 purchases that all add up. I also spied dd's favourite perfume at £20 for 100ml so the Christmas stash grows. Did I mention that last week I took advantage of the t3sco 75p choc oranges and bought 36? The bulk of these will be staff gifts at the nightmare. DD is particularly good at gift wrap so everyone will get a nice wee parcel. Yesterday, I made out the list of gifts bought so far for my children. There's balancing up to be done which will probably be in the form of cash for DS. There are also a few things such as chocolate coins, a beano annual etc to be bought but the stash is substantially complete. Stocking stuffers are harder to deal with as they age but stockings are still required.

I really don't want to get the day underway but needs must. DH has a £8 off a £40 spend that I will make up to £60 to get 10p a litre off my diesel. Unfortunately, this means we must both do the shop. What a joyous event that'll be this evening but I'm doing a 140 mile journey to a client tomorrow morning and need fuel.
    Today I am grateful for
    The possibility of light at the end of the tunnel
    Positive feedback gained yesterday
    My bed
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Running late and running out the door but trying a daily post!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure