Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Moby wrote: »
    Yep anyone who is worried about social care costs should look at the Daily Fail's critique of the Labour Party's policies to find out the 'truth'.......unbelievable how gullible some are!

We'll see.....

....gullible is the word if people vote for JC and his bunch of clowns
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 June 2017 at 2:30PM
    Options
    To be honest, I think the hysterical extremes of name-calling on either side are getting really silly now:

The Tories are evil baby-murderers and their supporters are psychopaths, or just thick and brainwashed by the right-wing media.

Corbyn is an IRA terrorist who'd auction his own baby at a Palestinian fund-raiser, and his supporters are psychopaths or just thick and brainwashed by lefty social media.

Just childish and boring. Can't we just discuss the pertinent issues of the day and how we can realistically pay for them?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Ronaldo_Mconaldo Posts: 5,197 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest, I think the hysterical extremes of name-calling on either side are getting really silly now:

The Tories are evil baby-murderes and their supporters are psychopaths, or just thick and brainwashed by the right-wing media.

Corbyn is an IRA terrorist who'd auction his own baby at a Palestinian fund-raiser, and his supporters are psychopaths or just thick and brainwashed by lefty social media.

Just childish and boring. Can't we just discuss the pertinent issues of the day and how we can realistically pay for them?

That's the problem. Why do we need to discuss anything amongst ourselves? What's that going to do except lead to us going round and round in circles and help to fuel traffic around various pointless websites. What does discussing anything do?
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to be serious, then with regard to the investment bank labour is talking about they could easily fund this....... they could get the BOE to lend the money like they regularly do
  • masterwilde
    Options
    and ofcourse when i say lend the money i am actually saying create the money out of thin air and send it to the government
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    I was asked earlier what opportunities I would be exploiting, well...........

a tiny sandwich bar smack back in centre of town has come up just now - I've thought about how nice it would be to own this for neigh on 25 yrs

Very low expenses, know the place like back of my hand, know the market etc

I'm a little cleaned out right now having just exchanged on a nice flat, and we hate touching the ISA's, but............

They're asking for a premium as all food outlets round here do now

Reckon I would do better than current owner - he's an old fashioned type with basic offering. I'd turn it into a funky little surf hut with drift wood floor and walls etc and great healthy food

Am I missing something? That can't seriously be one of the opportunities you're thinking about when talking about the wonders of Brexit?

You can open a sandwich bar now.
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    I would imagine most pension funds are heavily into FTSE.
    Yessiree.
    And my pension pot increased by well over 10% last year not counting payments, obvs.

Oh the doom!
    Oh the gloom!
    Not.
  • masterwilde
    Options
    the ftse is rising for two reasons alone..... 1) the currency devaluation. 2) the broken monetary system
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Thought I'd flag this up for anyone worrying about social care costs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4564588/1-2m-homes-hit-Labour-plan-slash-inheritance-rate.html

The Daily Mail are making this up and they've allowed a Tory editorial to explain the effects of this lie on families.

..and you get upset about whether applause is suitably impartial!
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Thought I'd flag this up for anyone worrying about social care costs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4564588/1-2m-homes-hit-Labour-plan-slash-inheritance-rate.html

Let's compare the two proposals:

- Under Tory proposals, your entire home, except for the last £100,000, can be used to pay for your care costs.

- Under Labour proposals, your descendants inherit the first £650,000 of your estate (effectively £1.3 million for married couples) tax free, and pay 40% IHT charged on the rest.

I know which proposal sounds more reasonable to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport